Custom 3" stainless Magnaflow exhaust - Page 6 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-03-2014, 12:59 AM   #51
bluehatch14
Focus Addict

Fan#: 111245
What I Drive: 2012 blue se hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 bluehatch14 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I believe injected engineering's focus had a 3in on it and produced some of the higher numbers seen. But I also believe they had other mods on their focus that aren't on the market. I remember reading it in a thread somewhere.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2014, 01:14 AM   #52
evilO
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 118681
What I Drive: 2014 Tuxedo Black Focus SE

FF Reputation: 2 evilO Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Yep. No way I would put a 3.0 exhaust on this car. Not going to happen. 2.25 - 2.5 at the most.
Old 05-03-2014, 01:16 AM   #53
bluehatch14
Focus Addict

Fan#: 111245
What I Drive: 2012 blue se hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 bluehatch14 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilO View Post
Yep. No way I would put a 3.0 exhaust on this car. Not going to happen. 2.25 - 2.5 at the most.
I agree on this. Although you could do 3inch exhaust, the sound wouldn't be worth the gains to me. My exhaust is 2 1/2 inches with two resonators and it's plenty loud with enough gains.
Old 05-03-2014, 10:21 AM   #54
RonMaiden
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 99230
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Metallic Hatch SE

FF Reputation: 6 RonMaiden Good Standing Member
A high dyno number at the top end of the gear on a dyno doesn't mean quicker, you want to see the gains in more of the mid range and if the gain is bigger over stock then that's where the noticeable power will be.
I've seen a dyno on a Civic with a 3" exhaust that showed a healthy bump on the final number but once it was at the strip it had no lowend and ran slower than stock. You need that exhaust velocity on a naturally aspirated engine especially small ones.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:08 AM   #55
Seminoles
Focus Addict

Fan#: 98405
What I Drive: 2012 SGM SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 Seminoles Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buildist View Post
Our cars were engineered for the majority of "normal" street driving. This requires low end and mid-range torque for accelerating around town and on the on ramp for the highway.

Adding a 3 inch exhaust to this type of car will reduce back pressure which will reduce the scavenging affect, which results in lower torque in low to mid RPM's. There will be an increase in top end horsepower, but that is not practical on the street in a daily driver, just a street racer.

Steve
If this is true why did Ford use cams that put the torque @ 4450 rpm and horse power @ 6500 rpm ( if I shift @ 4450 people think I racing them, why not 2500 rpm max torque ) if you add this to comparing your two V8 engines they would be full blown race engines at these rpm's. These four banger's are high efficiency motors I believe in one of the Ford write ups about direct injection it was said cylinder salvaging was not needed as much unlike other engines as in no EGR valve.

Power and power bands are really determined by the cams and Header design and the exhaust will mostly only hinder the efforts of the headers, they can't really make it any better, unless the header design is really poor. So more exhaust flow is usually better. A 3" system on a 250 HP motor won't gain anything, but it probably won't hurt it either.
The new Mustang 5.0 comes from the factory with a 2.75" exhaust. A set up in all 3" was built for a Mustang car and they reported back a 23HP gain over stock. Now some of that might have come from the fact that the mufflers flow much better than the stock Ford ones, but it certainly was a noticeable increase with the 3"

One question did you use H or X pipes on your two cars?
Old 05-04-2014, 11:22 AM   #56
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

FF Reputation: 48 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
There is a lot of misinformation and old-school thought processes dominating the automotive world these days. You can either live in the past or you can embrace technology and science and move forward with the rest of the world.

Backpressure is a myth in the way people think of it. It doesn't make horsepower in any way and only hurts an engines ability to breathe, at least in the way most people here are discussing it (cat-back). Primaries and secondaries (header design) size/length/design are what affect powerband. Cat-back is just a situation of diminishing-gains in the fact that one you've gotten it large enough to effectively remove spent gasses then you will not see enough of a gain to justify the added material cost or work to make it fit.

Exhaust design is a compromise. The most power may not sound the best. The best sounding won't give the best performance. Either of those may not be the best solution financially.

There is a wealth of information available on the internet. You have to do a little research and work to sift through what is true and what isn't so don't just take my word on it. But on top of not taking my word I would also not recommend taking the word of those that still think removing backpressure in the cat-back portion of the exhaust will hurt performance.

Backpressure is the enemy.

Fwiw, the best sounding Mk3's at FocusFest last year were mine and Injected's (depending on whom you talked to, obviously, but many agreed), so that's a 3" setup and a 2.5" dual exit setup. Ymmv.

FocusFest 2013: Best of Show
Gateway FFW: Show Class Outstanding
September '13 ROTM
2014 FiST-

Last edited by dyn085; 05-31-2014 at 06:55 AM.
Old 05-04-2014, 11:56 AM   #57
Seminoles
Focus Addict

Fan#: 98405
What I Drive: 2012 SGM SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 Seminoles Good Standing Member
^^
Like he said...
Old 05-04-2014, 12:15 PM   #58
mustang0
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96079
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Candy SE HB Sport Package

FF Reputation: 1 mustang0 Good Standing Member
You won't get an argument from me, Duane is right. Iv'e have had my car on the dyno two times and seen good improvements from fairly simple mods. I might do it a third time yet.
65 Racestang 96 Mustang 2012 Focus SE HB Sport Pac 5 speed man. NewMission Cold Air, lunchbox Delete,Custom 3" Magnaflow exhaust, Steeda Rear Sway Bar, Steeda STS,Axis wheels, Blox shift knob,Focus elecrtic RMM, Injected 93 Tune V1 176HP 152Torque
Old 05-04-2014, 12:16 PM   #59
evilO
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 118681
What I Drive: 2014 Tuxedo Black Focus SE

FF Reputation: 2 evilO Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn085 View Post
Fwiw, the best sounding Mk3's at FocusFest last year were mine and Injected's (depending on whom you talked to, obviously, but many agreed), so that's a 3" setup and a 2.5" dual exit setup. Ymmv.
Off topic for just one sec... I am sure I can find it somewhere but what exhaust are you running? 2.5" Custom? Magnaflow? TIA
Old 05-04-2014, 12:46 PM   #60
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

FF Reputation: 48 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilO View Post
Off topic for just one sec... I am sure I can find it somewhere but what exhaust are you running? 2.5" Custom? Magnaflow? TIA
2.25" from the flange to a 14" Magnaflow 2.5" center-center, 2.5" mandrel bent from there over the axle into a Jones Camaro muffler and into dual 3.5" resonated tips. Mine is deep and mellow while Injected's was deep and raspy (the good kind of raspy).

FocusFest 2013: Best of Show
Gateway FFW: Show Class Outstanding
September '13 ROTM
2014 FiST-

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->