New exhaust and turbo/supercharger - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-21-2014, 09:14 PM   #1
TheWhiteLight
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 155002
FF Reputation: 1 TheWhiteLight Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
New exhaust and turbo/supercharger

Hey guys, I have a lot of money put away for this build, and would like to add the st exhaust+headers to my 2012 focus.
I would also like to change the rear end and add a supercharger or a turbo.
The problem is I can't find any...
Does anyone know of quality turbos or supercharger for our cars??
I would prefer a turbo btw.

What's the safe amount of horsepower for our engines?
After that a custom paint job and suspension work will be done.

Sorry if these questions sound ignorant, as I have always worked on v8s like my '13 mustang, 70 mustang, and my '99 trans am....

If you could provide links I would be very grateful, if the supercharger or a turbo is out of the question, what engine would be a good swap and what would I need?

Thanks for your time,

Matt.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2014, 09:55 PM   #2
mustang0
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96079
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Candy SE HB Sport Package

FF Reputation: 1 mustang0 Good Standing Member
St manifold is part of the head so it would be a major mod to fit parts.
65 Racestang 96 Mustang 2012 Focus SE HB Sport Pac 5 speed man. NewMission Cold Air, lunchbox Delete,Custom 3" Magnaflow exhaust, Steeda Rear Sway Bar, Steeda STS,Axis wheels, Blox shift knob,Focus elecrtic RMM, Injected 93 Tune V1 176HP 152Torque
Old 04-21-2014, 09:57 PM   #3
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=283781

It's been discussed before.

Although the ST doesn't have an exhaust manifold separate from the cylinder head, it's integrated. You might be better off modifying an FSwerks turbo kit for the USDM MK2 Focus if you wanted to run a turbo header on this 2.0 L GDI engine.

No one has had the budget, or if they had they elected to buy the ST instead and skip the work of converting an N/A engine into one with boost.

Personally I wanted the recaro seats, the bigger front brakes, and the 6 speed manual.

If you have the 5 speed it should still handle more torque, but the DCT is close to the limit with just bolt ons.

It can be nice to say you built it yourself but it's a lot of work for very little in the way of gain v.s. starting off with a platform that's already set up for Boost.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:57 PM   #4
ViperThreat
Moderator OF DOOM

Fan#: 66026
What I Drive: '06 WRX Wagon 285whp/292wtq

FF Reputation: 8 ViperThreat Good Standing Member
I dont want to sound like a jerk here, but you are biting off WAY more than you can chew here.

Here is the simple answer: Sell/Trade in Your focus, and go buy a Focus ST. You get basically everything you just listed, plus a warranty.

Few notes:

1. Nobody makes a supercharger for the 2012+ focus
2. Ive yet to see anybody make a turbo kit (or even a manifold) for a 2012+ focus
3. Any turbo work that you do will be completely custom, and there will be little support available, as nobody that I am aware of has previously turbo'd a 2012+ focus.
4. Quality Turbos are available in the plenty, check out Garrett or Borg Warner.
5. Remember that your focus was not built for a turbo, and adding one will require other supporting mods. Ex:stronger clutch, stronger engine mounts, stronger brakes, etc. (all of which are included as factory on the ST.
6. Also note that this level of modification would void any warranty you have.

"Ford Focus ST - the official car of message-board circle-jerks"
-Regular Car Reviews
Old 04-21-2014, 10:16 PM   #5
TheWhiteLight
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Yeah I figured as much, I might just do bolt ons and go crazy with the exterior paint job, shaved door handles, completely custom interior, sound system etc, because my stang is already my go fast car... I would really like to build it for my wife, as my hobby is building one off custom show cars...I.thought about getting the st but really, if we were to sell the the car, I would probably opt for the 2014 Cadillac cts hatchback, or the Audi a7 hatch...but in the end it's up to what my wife wants lol.

Are there any good engine swaps for the 2012?

Ps:
I know you could put the 4.6 v8 in the older focus but I'm not sure it would fit on the '12..money really isnt a concern as i am co owners in a very successful business that my family owns and I'd really like it to be completely one of a kind...Thanks for the knowledge guys!
Old 04-22-2014, 12:10 AM   #6
ViperThreat
Moderator OF DOOM

Fan#: 66026
What I Drive: '06 WRX Wagon 285whp/292wtq

FF Reputation: 8 ViperThreat Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWhiteLight View Post
Are there any good engine swaps for the 2012?
You would be the first on that one.

One of the key points that made the 1st gen "easy" to swap to a RWD/V8 platform was that there is a large channel running down the center of the car. Normally, the exhaust is placed there, but its large enough to fit a drive-shaft without major modification.

The new 2012 focus may be different. Also, since the car has a heavy amount of electronics, you might run into compatibility issues getting all of the car's electronics to work with the new engine.

Side note to consider:

If money isnt an option, why not choose a better platform to start with? Is there any particular reason you insist on modifying a focus?

"Ford Focus ST - the official car of message-board circle-jerks"
-Regular Car Reviews
Old 04-22-2014, 01:26 AM   #7
TheWhiteLight
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperThreat View Post
You would be the first on that one.

One of the key points that made the 1st gen "easy" to swap to a RWD/V8 platform was that there is a large channel running down the center of the car. Normally, the exhaust is placed there, but its large enough to fit a drive-shaft without major modification.

The new 2012 focus may be different. Also, since the car has a heavy amount of electronics, you might run into compatibility issues getting all of the car's electronics to work with the new engine.

Side note to consider:

If money isnt an option, why not choose a better platform to start with? Is there any particular reason you insist on modifying a focus?
Well like I said I may modify another hatch and sell this one, but It would be for my wife, just like this one modded will be.
She just told me she would like me to do this for her, so it is new to me I didn't buy the car with these plans lol. While I drive manual she drives autos which the st doesn't provide, but with an engine swap or turbo I could have a new transmission built or beef this one up.
She is very fond of this focus and even has a name for it lol.
Her dream is for me to build her a one off, like I am in process of building with my mustang so we can do car shows and such together...I just don't know much, if anything about these cars..so it would mainly be a show/occasionally drag strip car.
Thanks for your replies though, like I said until I talk to some mechanics/fabricators, I really don't know where to start on the focus..

PS: I know it hasn't been done, but is it possible for me to do an automatic swap on a st focus? That way she could drive it, and I could start on a nicer platform...I have tried to teach her manual, but she is really bad at it, and prefers the lazy cruisng of an auto. :eek:
Old 04-22-2014, 05:30 AM   #8
Seminoles
Focus Addict

Fan#: 98405
What I Drive: 2012 SGM SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 Seminoles Good Standing Member
Any thing is possible look at Chip Foose and his shows just takes a super duty pick up truck to carry the money from the bank to parts store. While everyone was putting Boss 302's in the front of Pinto's I put a 351 Cleveland in the back seat. Not great in corners but in a straight line where did it go.... LOL
Old 04-22-2014, 06:42 AM   #9
mustang0
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96079
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Candy SE HB Sport Package

FF Reputation: 1 mustang0 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seminoles View Post
Any thing is possible look at Chip Foose and his shows just takes a super duty pick up truck to carry the money from the bank to parts store. While everyone was putting Boss 302's in the front of Pinto's I put a 351 Cleveland in the back seat. Not great in corners but in a straight line where did it go.... LOL
I would like to see a picture of that. I once saw a Boss 429 in a Ln7 or Exp, that was interesting for sure.
65 Racestang 96 Mustang 2012 Focus SE HB Sport Pac 5 speed man. NewMission Cold Air, lunchbox Delete,Custom 3" Magnaflow exhaust, Steeda Rear Sway Bar, Steeda STS,Axis wheels, Blox shift knob,Focus elecrtic RMM, Injected 93 Tune V1 176HP 152Torque
Old 04-22-2014, 10:21 AM   #10
Ladder812
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 113977
What I Drive: 2012 sonic blue titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Ladder812 Good Standing Member
Well if money isn't a issue and you truly want a one of a kind do a custom turbo if it works you will truly be the only one in the world with one lol

Bookmarks & Social Networks