Ive done my due dilligence...POWER OUTAGE ON FREEWAY - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-21-2014, 05:14 PM   #1
n0rr15
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 114170
What I Drive: 2001 green focus zx3

FF Reputation: 1 n0rr15 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Ive done my due dilligence...POWER OUTAGE ON FREEWAY

So I have a 2001 Ford Focus and I am the original owner. 240k + miles and it has been gently driven with all tune ups and oil changes. This is my daily commuter so we will drive her until she is done.
I was driving on the freeway the other night and suddenly BAM complete shut down. No bumps, nothing out of the ordinary. Everything shut down. No power, no engine, just darkness. Lasted for about 3 seconds and then came back on, engine revved and started running and all was back to normal. I wrote off my destination and decided to head home. Took the first exit and started back. DOES IT AGAIN, but this time lasted just enough time for me to pull to shoulder and after like 7 seconds (still moving) it all came back on again. I then did a 15 minute drive home with no more events.

Now I would think that this may be an alternator issue considering the battery just starts the car. However I am under the assumption that if that was the case wouldn't the car attempt to run off battery for a bit? I.E. everything begins to dim as I draw power from the battery due to alternator failure?

The power went out bad enough that all radio settings were erased, and no engine light stayed on.

Oh and yes I have searched all over this site and the Googles to try and find something. Nothing actually fitting perfectly.

Any ideas?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2014, 05:30 PM   #2
Marde
Focus Addict

Fan#: 115991
What I Drive: 2004 ZTW PZEV 2.3 ATX

Points 1,536, Level 22
Points: 1,536, Level: 22 Points: 1,536, Level: 22 Points: 1,536, Level: 22
Level Up 36% Completed
Level up: 36% Level up: 36% Level up: 36%
Forum Activity 43%
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%
FF Reputation: 9 Marde Good Standing Member
Hmmm... Does not sound like an Alt failure. I am guessing a faulty electrical ground or the related power cables and connections. One item, -the power hold relay, if it cycles on/off while driving would create symptoms like you described. For starters, you, a friend or a car shop pro needs to comb it over and inspect, remove and cleanup all exposed electrical connections starting at the battery and beyond.
Old 04-21-2014, 05:33 PM   #3
n0rr15
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 114170
What I Drive: 2001 green focus zx3

FF Reputation: 1 n0rr15 Good Standing Member
I sincerely appreciate the reply. I am going to go over it myself to see if I can find anything that looks out of place. Thanks for reassuring me about the alternator it really didnt act like that was the problem
Old 04-21-2014, 05:34 PM   #4
5speedRuby
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 119198
What I Drive: 2013 Ruby Red 5 Speed Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 5speedRuby Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
im going with bad ground to the alternator, its obviously not charging the battery fully but since it comes and goes the alternator is functional, check for bad ground to the alternator
Hatch Nation #94
Instagram - amu_chodie follow me!
16.8 seconds at 88.9 mph 3rd gear
Old 04-21-2014, 05:58 PM   #5
Marde
Focus Addict

Fan#: 115991
What I Drive: 2004 ZTW PZEV 2.3 ATX

Points 1,536, Level 22
Points: 1,536, Level: 22 Points: 1,536, Level: 22 Points: 1,536, Level: 22
Level Up 36% Completed
Level up: 36% Level up: 36% Level up: 36%
Forum Activity 43%
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%
FF Reputation: 9 Marde Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5speedRuby View Post
... its obviously not charging the battery fully ...
Nothing reported indicates that to be true.

BTW - For the sake of clarity, the Alt does not have its' own ground cable. The Alt ground is provided by the engine block-> then to a engine block ground cable-> then connected to bat NEG terminal-> then to car chassis. Those cables should be tested, but I was leaning more toward other cables and wiring first because it sounded like the PCM and Power Hold Relay randomly dropped off. I also thought about that recent big Car Recall (not a Ford recall) where the ign switch was turning OFF while driving and wondered if the OP has a bunch of keys and junk on his/her car key ring... or that maybe the key cylinder and/or ign switch might be defective otherwise.

Edit: rephrased a few things and added bit on last sentence to include key cylinder.

Last edited by Marde; 04-21-2014 at 08:37 PM.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:27 PM   #6
Buildist
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 150994
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 Buildist Good Standing Member
The radio stations being lost indicates a complete power loss, meaning a complete disconnect of the electrical system. By the time you read this you may have found a loose connection either at the battery, the starter, or somewhere else like a main connection to the fusebox. My money is on the battery or starter connection though.

Steve
Old 04-21-2014, 09:58 PM   #7
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

Points 3,084, Level 34
Points: 3,084, Level: 34 Points: 3,084, Level: 34 Points: 3,084, Level: 34
Level Up 23% Completed
Level up: 23% Level up: 23% Level up: 23%
Forum Activity 60%
Activity: 60% Activity: 60% Activity: 60%
FF Reputation: 25 amc49 Great Standing Member
If still original battery terminals then grab them and attempt to twist sideways. These use a real crappy design that you swear you've tightened but they are still slipping on the post. Common. Not enough grab range, once someone cleans the post enough material is removed to let them slip.

Look at the battery/alt positive lead as it winds down the back of the motor, there are issues with the cable fraying to short against the engine block or melted at the starter power interface, either could do that.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.