2005 Intake manifold ticking - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-06-2014, 12:42 PM   #1
Apphoard
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 150546
FF Reputation: 1 Apphoard Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2005 Intake manifold ticking

I am sorry if this has been gone over before. I searched and found nothing. I have a 2005 ford focus 2.0. I hear ticking coming from the intake manifold. From what I have read it can be the tumble flaps? They are the same thing as a imrc valve right? I have seen where people have replaced the whole intake manifold. Is that needed or should I just replace the imrc valve? Also how many are there? I was going to buy this intake on eBay if needed. Also the the nuts and bolts on this engine are metric correct?Thanks for your help everyone!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-OEM-4S4...-/231072586394

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2014, 09:20 AM   #2
Apphoard
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 150546
FF Reputation: 1 Apphoard Good Standing Member
Close thread I replaced the intake it was making the ticking sound. The rod that flaps go onto was loose and worn out on one side.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:06 AM   #3
Phestezio
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97562
What I Drive: 2007 Oxford White ZX3

FF Reputation: 4 Phestezio Good Standing Member
You need to replace the entire manifold, what happens is the flaps are made of plastic and manifold is made of plastic. Over time the plastic that holds the rod in place for the flaps starts to deteriorate and fall apart, and the little bits of plastic get eaten by your engine and allows enough play in the flaps for them to actually start smacking around when they are closed at idle, what you are hearing is the flaps smacking around inside your manifold. Just replacing the valve part will do nothing for you unfortunately.

This is what mine looked like after about 150K miles.

You can see where the plastic starts to come apart at the ends of the flaps, especially at the farthest one, the one all the way to the right in the picture. My engine consumed quite a bit of plastic.

Also on a 2.0 the IMRC and tumble flaps are the same, as you can see in the picture there are 4 flaps, 1 for each cylinder and 1 vacuum diaphram on the end of the rod to control them, or what your calling the IMRC valve.

All the bolts should be metric

Bookmarks & Social Networks