Radiator and Cap- ??? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-20-2014, 04:33 PM   #1
FordZX32000
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 33469
What I Drive: 2000 black ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 FordZX32000 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Radiator and Cap- ???

I put the cap on too tight after topping of the coolant tank. After the car was driven and came up to normal operating temp, water begin to spew out of the radiator obviously from a leak near bottom on drivers side.
Took the cap off after cool down and put back on snug. Ran car again and now loosing very little coolant, as in a tiny drip if that. Is there a certain way to put the cap on snug versus tight ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2014, 07:52 PM   #2
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

FF Reputation: 153 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
Just finger tight is all I do , the coolant tank should only be filled to the hot mark if you fill it all the way up it will always blow some out

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 04-20-2014, 07:58 PM   #3
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 60 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Look at the drain petcock on the driver's side for a potential source of the leak that's not tragic. It's just sealed by an O-ring when pushed in & twisted to lock in place.

S.R. #275
Old 04-20-2014, 08:32 PM   #4
FordZX32000
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1turbofocus View Post
Just finger tight is all I do , the coolant tank should only be filled to the hot mark if you fill it all the way up it will always blow some out

Tom
It's filled to the max level mark on the tank. It's not blowing out of the cap, when I put the cap on too tight. It was blowing it out of the radiator near the bottom on the drivers side and possibly in other areas of the radiator.
The petcock-water outlet to the radiator is not leaking. I can see a small drizzle of coolant just to the right of it on the actual radiator.
Old 04-20-2014, 08:37 PM   #5
FordZX32000
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
Look at the drain petcock on the driver's side for a potential source of the leak that's not tragic. It's just sealed by an O-ring when pushed in & twisted to lock in place.
I'm sure it's not leaking from the petcock. However just to the right of it there is a small drizzle of coolant.
I did not realize that the cap on the coolant tank, had so much control on the amount of pressure in the system.
Old 04-20-2014, 09:38 PM   #6
BC_ZX3
DTC P0606

Fan#: 48751
What I Drive: 2001 Red ZX3 Turbo

FF Reputation: 86 BC_ZX3 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordZX32000 View Post
I did not realize that the cap on the coolant tank, had so much control on the amount of pressure in the system.
You should be able to simply tighten the cap fully on the reservoir and not worry about the "degree of tightening" of the cap. The fact that your car leaks when you have it properly tightened would indicate weaknesses in your cooling system that can't withstand the full 14 psi (iirc) system pressure. By leaving the cap lose or not fully snug, you're possibly decreasing the ability of your cooling system to cope with severe conditions. Fix the leaks; they could be sources of potential failure in the future that may leave you stuck on the roadside on a hot summer day.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:46 AM   #7
FordZX32000
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC_ZX3 View Post
You should be able to simply tighten the cap fully on the reservoir and not worry about the "degree of tightening" of the cap. The fact that your car leaks when you have it properly tightened would indicate weaknesses in your cooling system that can't withstand the full 14 psi (iirc) system pressure. By leaving the cap lose or not fully snug, you're possibly decreasing the ability of your cooling system to cope with severe conditions. Fix the leaks; they could be sources of potential failure in the future that may leave you stuck on the roadside on a hot summer day.
You have valid points here.
I certainly do not want to be stranded here in TX on a hot summer day !!!
Is it a pain to change out the radiator ?
Old 04-21-2014, 05:32 AM   #8
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I don't have a Zetec.... but doesn't that reservoir cap have a torque cap that you can't tighten but so much? One that clicks free once you've gotten it tight? Those can go bad, but it's rare and usually after the car is very old or had some sort of problem where it had to be removed frequently.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 04-21-2014, 05:36 AM   #9
sleepyboy
FF's Night Security

Fan#: 15335
What I Drive: 01' Yellow ZX3 euro, 04' ZX5 SVT

FF Reputation: 46 sleepyboy Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
The newer redesigned ones click, the older ones just get snug. I bought a aftermarket replacement one that's a few psi higher than stock, it just screws on snug. The new tank and cap I bought for my other focus as a clicking top that won't let you over tighten it.

Hatch Nation #15 (Ole' Yeller') & #150 (The SVT)
Moderator for
Technical Chat
Zetec Performance Chat
Southern Fanatics Chat
Old 04-21-2014, 10:07 AM   #10
my_beautious_ZX3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 32386
What I Drive: 2002 charcoal XZ3

FF Reputation: 5 my_beautious_ZX3 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordZX32000 View Post
I'm sure it's not leaking from the petcock. However just to the right of it there is a small drizzle of coolant.
one of the most common antifreeze leaks discussed on this forum is the thermostat housing. So, check that before you go to the expense of replacing a radiator, because a leaky housing could dribble down the engine/transmission and wind-up just a couple of inches from the petcock, fooling you into looking elsewhere for the source.

Bookmarks & Social Networks