Electrical gremlins inside.. Timing belt change related? Needs to be fixed yesterday - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-18-2014, 06:43 PM   #1
smallblockfever
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95004
What I Drive: 2002 Sonic Blue SVT

FF Reputation: 0 smallblockfever Newbie
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Electrical gremlins inside.. Timing belt change related? Needs to be fixed yesterday

Hey guys, Iíve got a real head scratcher here that needs to be resolved ASAP. Iíve included some heavy reading so that you guys can make some very educated guesses. Please read all of it, I promise that none of it is fluff.

THE CAR:
- 2002 SVT Focus , ~123,9100

WHAT IS ALTERED:
  • disconnected oxygen sensors (working on fixing my stock exhaust, need to replace my cat)
  • no grill, and thus no grill lights
  • spec-d halo projector headlights.
  • alternator pigtail is updated and secure
  • Battery purchased in 12/12 (everstart walmart battery, 770 CCA)

RECENT WORK PERFORMED:

-rewired the headlights in early march.
  • ORIGINALLY wired such that the halos mimicked the grill/fender running lights exactly (came on at same time and also blinked). Projectors worked as low beams, and high beams used the high beam socket. The two side marker lights were wired with the halos. Done in 3/13, has worked flawlessly since.
  • NOW wired differently. I learned that anything that blinks must be amber, so my halos were a no-no. I set to change that as well as fix a few other issues. I removed my stock SVT grill. I left my projectors to run as low beams, and the high beam socket to remain as high beams. I tapped into the stock grill light locations to change a few things. I left my fender lights to run as regular (turn on for running lights and also blink). I wired my halos to come on as a running lights and THAT IS IT. I installed amber bulbs into the side bulb sockets on the headlight, and then wired those to ONLY BLINK. This was done early 3/14 and has worked flawlessly until 4/16/14.

-new battery terminals
  • The previous owner had some funky terminals on the car and odd wire lengths. I have plans to install some 1/0 wire for a combined big3/battery cable upgrade with some substantial terminals in the near future. However I was in a pinch, so I bought a cheap kit at Pep boys and installed those terminals and battery cable ends on the weekend following my headlight rewiring.

-k&n drop in filter
  • Around the same time as these two Ďprojectsí, I installed a drop in k&n filter. Love it.

WHERE I THINK I WENT WRONG:
-Timing belt change on Sunday/Monday/Tuesday of this week. (4/13,14,15/14)
  • Wire brushed the spark plugs (unknown miles, autolite double platinum)
  • Cleaned boots on MSD wires (unkown miles)
  • Sanded valve cover down to metal
  • New valve cover gasket (felpro)
  • Gates timing belt kit (belt, TB idler, TB tensioner)
  • Gates water pump (I painted the pulley)
  • Gates serpentine tensioner
  • Dayco serpentine belt
  • Gates serpentine idler pulley
  • Painted the metal upper timing belt cover
  • Fresh coolant
  • Valve cover breather filter (the tube to the air box never stayed in, so I put a small Spectre cone filter on it)
  • Oil change (Castrol full synthetic, Motorcraft filter, new drain plug)
  • Finally installed my plastic cam gear cover
  • Installed Motorcraft passenger motor mount (used, bought off FF with 20k on it)
  • Used CFM cam tool/TDC pin, used proper torque specs.
  • DID NOT LOOSEN CAM GEARS
  • Took two tries, but started up wonderfully on the second. Felt very peppy, gained a little more low-end power, felt awesome all around. I have put about 65 miles on this setup.
  • After 20 miles, only codes being thrown were for the disconnected oxygen sensor and the resulting incomplete cycle code.
  • Have not check codes since then.

WEDNESDAY EVENING (4/16/14):
I was driving home when it started to become dusk, so I turned on my headlights. My right turn signal dash indicator was half lit. When I turned on my left turn signal, it worked fine. When I turned on my right turn signal, it blinked twice like normal, and then blinked as if it had a short or a bad bulb.
Once home, I looked at the lights. With the headlights set to low beams, my passenger side low beam was not on, my driver low and high plus my passenger high were all on and very dim, and none of my halos were on (remember, halos wired as running lights)
When I switched to just running lights, everything was normal in appearance, except that my dash indicator for the right turn signal was still half illuminated.

So I begin some testing.
-
  • I removed both headlight assemblies. I tested voltage at each socket in the car at all stages of the switch operating. They were not the same results. Yes, I understand that the grill lights complete the circuit, but it was still peculiar.
  • I go to turn the key on in the car, and my windshield wipers start to move. I realized I had bumped the wiper switch, so I turned the wipers off. They stuck wherever they were (as expected). I turned the switch on again to make them go to their resting position, but they only jumped about a half inch. In fact, even with the wiper switch off, I could turn the key on and off and each time the wipers would move another half inch. I turned on the car to try to fix the wiper blades, and the switch didnít work at all. Turned the car off, keyed on again and they went to their resting position.
  • I attached leads to each bulb in the headlamps and then attached to a spare battery I have (scold me later for doing this). Every bulb works, in each headlamp.
  • Yesterday, If I removed my driver headlight, the passenger one worked flawlessly (not so anymore)
  • My driver side tail light bulb was smoky, but still worked. I replaced it with a new one. No changes noticed.

Iím pretty mechanically inclined, but Iím stuck on this one. I need the car by Sunday, and I can only work on it tomorrow. I can perform any requested test on it tonight until about 8PM CST and then post the results on this thread, just let me know what to do. Any and all help is super appreciated.

P.S. Tomorrow evening I will be able to get a hold of my friendís SCT Xcal3, so I should be able to plug up using LiveLink to gather some more information. But again, that wonít be until tomorrow evening.

HELP!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2014, 06:46 PM   #2
smallblockfever
Focus Enthusiast

I can make a video, post pictures, do whatever you guys need to get more information on what's going on. Just respond here to show me what you need.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:20 PM   #3
smallblockfever
Focus Enthusiast

UPDATE in the engine bay fusebox, the number 16 fuse is low beam, driver side. Totally blown. 10 Amp fuse, I replaced with same. No change.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:27 PM   #4
Marde
Focus Addict

Fan#: 115991
What I Drive: 2004 ZTW PZEV 2.3 ATX

FF Reputation: 7 Marde Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallblockfever View Post
WEDNESDAY EVENING (4/16/14):
I was driving home when it started to become dusk, so I turned on my headlights. My right turn signal dash indicator was half lit. When I turned on my left turn signal, it worked fine. When I turned on my right turn signal, it blinked twice like normal, and then blinked as if it had a short or a bad bulb.
Once home, I looked at the lights. With the headlights set to low beams, my passenger side low beam was not on, my driver low and high plus my passenger high were all on and very dim, and none of my halos were on (remember, halos wired as running lights)
When I switched to just running lights, everything was normal in appearance, except that my dash indicator for the right turn signal was still half illuminated.

So I begin some testing.
-
  • I removed both headlight assemblies. I tested voltage at each socket in the car at all stages of the switch operating. They were not the same results. Yes, I understand that the grill lights complete the circuit, but it was still peculiar.

The summary of this for me is; something is wrong in the wiring on the passenger side. I would find the ground terminal lugs on that side of car that connects to car chassis; disconnect, inspect, clean, reconnect. Double triple check your wiring.

Gotta be a FF out there that knows where it/they are (grounds) on the Zetec and on that side of the car...? just not me. Where do the circuit ground wires for passenger headlights, running lights & turn signal end up at? Find it! Clean it up.

Also, if passenger low beam is always not working, there is a single fuse for pass low beam.

All of your symptoms seem to be lighting only and not something an xCal3 will find or help with.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:27 PM   #5
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 62 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Until someone thinks of a better idea, look at the grounds from the harness to chassis at each side of the front end.

Thinking you might be getting some "feedback" from lack of a good ground.

Edit: Dang! same minute again!

S.R. #275
Old 04-18-2014, 07:33 PM   #6
Marde
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallblockfever View Post
UPDATE in the engine bay fusebox, the number 16 fuse is low beam, driver side. Totally blown. 10 Amp fuse, I replaced with same. No change.
It was likely blown because (1) your light mod is drawing too much current (2) your wiring is defective or needs some cleanup.

Did the fuse blow again?
Old 04-18-2014, 07:34 PM   #7
Marde
Focus Addict

Hi Sailor
Old 04-18-2014, 07:37 PM   #8
sleepyboy
FF's Night Security

Fan#: 15335
What I Drive: 01' Yellow ZX3 euro, 04' ZX5 SVT

FF Reputation: 46 sleepyboy Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
You could be having turn signal or hazard switch problems. The turn signals go through the hazard switch, if that goes out you can have some weird problems like bulbs being out but aren't out but acting like it. I've also had headlight switch problems before. Just something to think about if everything checks out.

Hatch Nation #15 (Ole' Yeller') & #150 (The SVT)
Moderator for
Technical Chat
Zetec Performance Chat
Southern Fanatics Chat
Old 04-18-2014, 07:46 PM   #9
Bills86e
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 119322
What I Drive: 2000 green SE, 2007 Kappa Speedster

FF Reputation: 1 Bills86e Good Standing Member
Do you have a scanner or a method to check grounds!
Old 04-18-2014, 07:47 PM   #10
smallblockfever
Focus Enthusiast

I just spent a few minutes checking EVERY fuse in the car. All fuses in the engine bay box as well as the passenger compartment box are good to go now. Still similar results.
TO CLEAR UP I may have gotten confused with left and right so from here forward I am gonna stick to passenger and driver side, deal? cool. It seems to me that the faulty unit is the driver side unit because if the driver side assembly is removed, the passenger assembly works flawlessly.

NEW INFO:

I started the car. put running lights on. the left turn signal dash light came on (as I expected). put headlights on, same results as before.

...the twist....
I played with the wipers.....

so with no headlights on, I turned the wipers to the first stage (variable intermittence) and it worked fine, no sticking, no stopping.
BUT when I moved to the second or third position speed setting, they wipers would hesitate and stick AND the driver side turn signal dash light would flicker but never fully come on. It wasn't 'in phase' with the wiper jumpiness, but the time frame coincided.

If it's a grounding issue, why didn't it pop up before? I can't imagine that my rewiring caused a need for more grounding (due to more current draw) if the rewired setup worked well for a month.

thoughts anyone?

P.S. going now to check on grounding points, be back in 15

Bookmarks & Social Networks