08 Focus SES Overdrive problem... - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-17-2014, 04:15 PM   #1
Clint_Eastwade
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 150578
What I Drive: Vermillion Red 2008 Focus SES

FF Reputation: 1 Clint_Eastwade Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
08 Focus SES Overdrive problem...

I am a bit confused as to what exactly is going as I am not very familiar with the operation of newer vehicles such as my 08 focus... but I was headed home from work today and everything was going fine until I accelerated to get onto the highway... I got up to 70mph and all was fine so I turned on my cruise control... then my car shifted out of overdrive and would not go back into it for anything.. so I pulled over and looked under the hood and couldn't see anything really wrong. I then got back in the car and accelerated and still will not shift into overdrive. I got home and had to run an errand and it shifted into overdrive after having been parked for thirty minutes....it lasted about 3 seconds before it shifted back into 3rd gear and the engine light came on... can anyone tell me some possible problems I may be experiencing And any ways I can fix myself... thank you

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2014, 05:53 PM   #2
Buildist
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 150994
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 Buildist Good Standing Member
Without having a code reader, at least check your transmission fluid level. Most problems seem to stem from that.

Steve
Old 04-18-2014, 11:09 AM   #3
Clint_Eastwade
Focus Rookie

I have checked my fluid levels and they read within the norm... the car has several miles on it so now I'm thinking I could have a vacuum hose leak. The car has had kind of a rough and inconsistent idle ever since I bought it a month ago and I have done some research into leaking hoses producing many of the same symptoms I have. Another one being that when I first start my car it goes to about 1000 rpm and starts sputtering and falling till it dies. I counter the problem by adding a little throttle and it finally balances out and climbs to 3000 revs. I hold it there for about ten seconds and then I let go of the pedal and it goes back down to 1000-800 and fluctuates as it has since I got it.. could the engine running improperly cause the computer to mess with the transaxle as far as enabling overdrive...? I dont think its a transaxle problem because after I let the car sit for a while and I come back to drive it will shift to overdrive for about fifteen seconds and then it will shift back into 3rd and the engine light now comes on... I will take it to my local parts shop this afternoon and have them read the code for me.
Old 04-18-2014, 11:55 AM   #4
my_beautious_ZX3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 32386
What I Drive: 2002 charcoal XZ3

FF Reputation: 5 my_beautious_ZX3 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint_Eastwade View Post
could the engine running improperly cause the computer to mess with the transaxle as far as enabling overdrive?
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=403114

Also, if you suspect a vacuum leak, use the search box at the top of the forum to learn about the common cracked PCV hose.
Old 04-18-2014, 12:00 PM   #5
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 60 sailor Excellent Standing Member
^^^ great minds... (grin) I was about to post that link myself.

Here's a thread for a similar model that had the PCV hose issue:

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=394906

The MAF possibility should be checked out first IMHO, at least a cleaning of that & a check of the wiring.

What "code" come up could point the right direction.

S.R. #275

There & Back Again...
Old 04-19-2014, 05:55 PM   #6
Clint_Eastwade
Focus Rookie

I had my mechanic friend come take a look at it and he brought his Code reader with him. Plugged it into the car and the only code that has come forth was for O2 sensor bank 1... does that mean my upstream oxygen sensor is bad...? Never heard of an oxygen sensor messing with an engine that badly.
Old 04-19-2014, 07:49 PM   #7
sailor
"Elder"

Could mess with it badly when the upstream isn't working.

"Bank 1" doesn't mean a lot since 4cyl. only shows that (vs. a V engine that would typically have bank 1 & bank 2 readouts).

Exact code # would give more information. there are multiple codes possible that could be generalized to "O2 sensor".

In the 'how to" stickies up top you can find a list of "DTC Codes" that gives the official descriptions of each one. That will give you an idea of the number of possibilities I'm mentioning. The link to Ford info. on how each system works is LONG reading, generally only get into that when things aren't obvious. Good background info. to skim when you have time to get a general idea how it all works.

Some "O2 Codes" can be caused by something else, like a reading that's wrong because of a leak at the header for example - another reason to look close at each code & figure possible causes from there.

Hope he wrote the number down for you, or you can get it read again. Hate to recommend a replacement part unless he told you what HE saw indicates that as the best fix.

Cheers

DTC's: http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=59286

Check Engine Light: http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=214389 (DETAILED)

S.R. #275

There & Back Again...
Old 04-21-2014, 08:42 AM   #8
Clint_Eastwade
Focus Rookie

The exact code number is "PO171".. which inquires the system is running too lean. My mechanic friend told me that 9 times out of 10 that signal is flashed by a failing/faulty oxygen sensor. I have done some more research into problems that would send out that code and came up with "fuel pressure"... I dont think that is my problem when you consider the car is only running rough at idle and runs fine at higher RPMs.. although I will run a fuel pressure test to be sure. I have also checked for any kind of intake leakage that would allow any air past the sensor and could not find anything there either. I have ordered and intend to replace my O2 sensor in hopes to resolve my issue and if not, at least I'll be able to narrow my possible solutions down. I dont think the O2 sensors on this car have ever been changed and with 180k miles on this car... I believe the time to do so has long since come... my only other thought would be for some sort of vacuum leak but I need the car to run before I can even begin to look for that. Thanks to all for your help.
Old 04-21-2014, 12:24 PM   #9
sailor
"Elder"

Lot of possibilities for that code, intake/vacuum/PCV are the most common. Even an exh. leak can cause that code to pop up when air gets into the exh. to cause a false reading.

At that mileage replacing the sensor is certainly due, hope your problem is that simple!

S.R. #275

There & Back Again...
Old 04-22-2014, 06:28 AM   #10
Clint_Eastwade
Focus Rookie

I have just run a fuel pressure test... I did a "dead head" test meaning I jumped the pump relay and connected a pressure gauge just before the rail and I am barely getting 40 psi... spec for an 08 running is 55psi and a deadhead test should have double running pressure so that would be 110psi.. I'm thinking I might have found my problem. Im gonna have to switch out my fuel pump I reckon.. perhaps my car not getting enough fuel pressure has caused it to run too lean... interesting how it has not flashed the pressure sensor...might need to look into that too.

Bookmarks & Social Networks