Our cars are damn reliable - know of anything moreso? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-17-2014, 11:59 AM   #1
uRabbit
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 82829
What I Drive: 2007 Ford Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 uRabbit Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Our cars are damn reliable - know of anything moreso?

According to MSN Autos' reliability sheet ('07 linked just because), our cars are some of the most reliable vehicles available. In my search for a second vehicle, for my wife, I have found that no others come close to the Focus of most years. We are looking for a wagon, so that really narrows it down. But for argument's sake, I have compared it to Corollas, Civics, Accords, the venerable Toyota 22R engine, F-150's, Chevy 1500's, Volvos, and known-to-pass-300k-mile Subarus none compare when viewed on MSN Autos' reliability page.

Do you find this to be true in your experiences? Why or why not?

Personally, while we only have 62,000 miles on our '07, this has been a wonderful vehicle. There was one hiccup in the beginning a pulley screw stripped out and cost us nearly $500 to repair; but this was most likely due to an oversight during the rebuild (salvage title). Over the 32,000 miles we've had it, doing maintenance myself, we have yet to come on anything bad. Just replaced spark plugs and the originals were golden.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2014, 02:20 PM   #2
b.pearson
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 130617
What I Drive: 2003 Infrared SVT ZX5

FF Reputation: 2 b.pearson Good Standing Member
I've heard a lot of good stuff about Mazdas, never had one personally though
2003 SVT ZX5- EAP rims, FSWerks Race cat-back exhaust, FSWerks SRI, Spectre cone filter & breather filter, FSWerks front splitter, SAP rear diffuser, upgraded throttle body (Size and brand unsure), HID headlights, more to come!
Old 04-17-2014, 03:07 PM   #3
iminhell
C2H5OH

Fan#: 36222
What I Drive: 2000 & 2001 ZX3's

FF Reputation: 48 iminhell Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
http://www.truedelta.com/

That site was started by a Jetter. It might be a place to look for better (?) information.
I can think of plenty cars that are just as reliable. I feel most of that hinges on maintenance. Cars that aren't, don't last. Cars that are tend to last.
Old 04-17-2014, 03:36 PM   #4
Laminar
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 81298
What I Drive: 2013 SE

FF Reputation: 1 Laminar Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell View Post
http://www.truedelta.com/

That site was started by a Jetter. It might be a place to look for better (?) information.
Yes - much better to look at accumulated data than to hinge an opinion on a few biased anecdotes.
Old 04-17-2014, 03:45 PM   #5
RonMaiden
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 99230
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Metallic Hatch SE

FF Reputation: 6 RonMaiden Good Standing Member

I have 182,000 miles on my 15 year old 4Runner and is the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned period. Outside of normal maintenence (timing belt, water pump was changed at 140k) I've replaced the starter, rear axle seals twice(at about 90k miles each time) and had a coil pack short out. Also broke a couple sway bar connects but considering it goes off road and on camping trips throughout the summer each year, I really haven't had any issues. The 3rd gen ('96-'02) has proven to be quite reliable with a little attention paid to the maintenence.

And thanks to it spending it's life in Colorado's dry climate it has no body and very little rust save for a few cheaper nuts and bolts underneath.

Old 04-17-2014, 05:42 PM   #6
Jburks
Focus Addict

Fan#: 145009
What I Drive: 2014 Ford Focus Hatchback SE RR DCT

FF Reputation: 1 Jburks Good Standing Member
That definitely looks clean for the mileage ^^^ well done.
Build thread-http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=382642
Old 04-17-2014, 11:23 PM   #7
uRabbit
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 82829
What I Drive: 2007 Ford Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 uRabbit Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonMaiden View Post
<snip>
The only 4Runner's I can find near me under $2,000 have over 250,000 miles on them. IIRC, one has 320,000. Seems they all end in head gasket failure, but after 300,000 miles, I would have at least replaced the gaskets, less a new engine. Hah!

4Runner is definitely up there on our list, and way up on the list of reliable vehicles!
Old 04-17-2014, 11:56 PM   #8
RonMaiden
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 99230
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Metallic Hatch SE

FF Reputation: 6 RonMaiden Good Standing Member
It does look good but if you get up close the paint does show some evidence of off roading with a few pin stripes and scufs provided by brush and trees but under the sheetmetal it's all good and the interior is above par also with just a little wear here and there. My power antenna is the only thing that doesn't work.

4Runners do command whacked prices here in Colorado as I was offered 7 grand for mine when the blue book is more in the $4k range for a good example with average miles.
Old 04-18-2014, 01:34 AM   #9
mikebontoft
Toxx

Fan#: 58647
What I Drive: 5.9L Grand Cherokee ZJ

FF Reputation: 76 mikebontoft Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonMaiden View Post
It does look good but if you get up close the paint does show some evidence of off roading with a few pin stripes and scufs provided by brush and trees but under the sheetmetal it's all good and the interior is above par also with just a little wear here and there. My power antenna is the only thing that doesn't work.

4Runners do command whacked prices here in Colorado as I was offered 7 grand for mine when the blue book is more in the $4k range for a good example with average miles.
seriously? bet you could get more. I sold my second gen (94) 4runner with 180k miles for $5000 somehow. I do miss it. it was perfect. but slow like many Toyotas.

The Hilux. you can't kill em. essentially what mine was. Hilux surf.
SR #127 | '02 Focus SE "Foci" (5.0 RWD - parting) | '90 Mazda 626 GT "Greenie" (2.2L turbo T3/T4 rebuild-sold) | '75 BMW 2002 "Carby" (resto-mod racecar) | '75 BMW 2002 (donor -sold) | '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (lifted and fast) | '99 BMW 328is (alt. daily).
Moderating General Chat Lounge, General Technical Chat, Ford Focus & General Car Chat, and Rocky Mountain Fanatics
Old 04-18-2014, 05:18 AM   #10
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Keep in mind too, that when searching for used cars, typically people only get rid of used cars that aren't working correctly. The trick is figuring out what the real reason is for getting rid of the car. That being said, there are some cars that have "problems" which are not really problems if you know what it is. The Duratec engine in your 07 is one of those. Around 100k give or take it will start to develop a sound like bad valves, but it's the intake manifold. Old FWD Buick Skylarks and Olds Cutlass with the 2.5L used to develop a "rod knock" that wasn't a rod, it was a balance shaft built into the oil pump which you could get for about $200 and swap out in a few hours.

Since you know of an issue with these vehicles, and know what it is, you can search for an inexpensive Duratec Focus. You might find one with "bad valves", and be able to talk someone down.

Finally, anyone can make a great car. Any car model can be superlatively reliable in spite of it's rating. I had a friend with a Dodge Dynasty that had over 400k miles when it finally went kaput- it would still run today if he could find a good transmission for it, or have one rebuilt reliably. Who would've figured a K-car would last that long? My point is that you have to look at each car instead of searching for a specific manufacturer. I wouldn't suggest purchasing a Daewoo- parts are hard to find- but you get my point. You'll know a good car when you find it!

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.

Bookmarks & Social Networks