Ford Void Warranty - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-16-2005, 10:42 AM   #1
Grandma
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 20109
FF Reputation: 1 Grandma Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Question Ford Void Warranty

I had my SVTF in at Ford on Monday, they were looked at my Rad Fan, which apparently were running normal, but they decided to replace my Cat for their own reasons.

Once I got the car back and was driving home I notices every time I hit about 2000-2200 RPM there was a buzzing rattle noise coming from somewhere near the end of the car. That night I also decided to install my AEM CAI. So I went back in today (Wed) to get it fixed, they looked at the car brought it out and I went to get my keys when the service guy said that if I had the intake in on Monday they might have not been able to cover what they did over warranty. I then explained the warranty cannot be void, unless the part being put on is a direct result of the problem. (or something to that affect) He then said I should try to get this in writing. But what does in fact void the warranty? Is there a website I can go to, to get some facts in writing?

Which is why I am little worried about putting my UDP in and VF engine mount just because I think they might try to screw me claiming that my added part was the cause of the problem or some other bs.

Either way I have a good friend who works at Ford who would be more then able to fix the car when something happens but he is really busy lately.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2005, 10:47 AM   #2
Grandma
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 20109
FF Reputation: 1 Grandma Good Standing Member
Here is a good site actually http://www.semasan.com/main/main.aspx?id=60128
Old 03-16-2005, 11:24 AM   #3
Mork
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 18855
What I Drive: 2003 SVTF ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Mork Good Standing Member
If they can tie the UDP to the issue, which is pretty easy to do for any type of driveline failure, you are hosed. Anything that adds power (even a CAI) can contribute to a driveline failure, that is not too hard to see. If your radio stops working, they should still fix that but don't expect a clutch replacement...
Old 03-16-2005, 11:37 AM   #4
svtsonic
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 14439
What I Drive: Evo X GSR

FF Reputation: 1 svtsonic Good Standing Member
that sux man....take off your cai and remove the mini-snorkle on stock airbox for sound and try to keep that warranty. I am afraid of the same thing with my dealer. You might want to call SVT while your at the dealership and let them talk to the service manager if possible.
2008 Mistubishi Evolution X GSR (Selling)
2013 Focus ST Performance Blue (Ordering!)
Old 03-16-2005, 11:50 AM   #5
kpSVT
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 2994
What I Drive: 2008 WRX, 2002

FF Reputation: 1 kpSVT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
After I installed my eibach suspension my steering started to make a binding sound about a month later. Do you think they will honor my warranty????
Old 03-16-2005, 12:24 PM   #6
scotto46
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 18259
What I Drive: 2003 Infra Red Focus SVT

FF Reputation: 1 scotto46 Good Standing Member
If they see your eibachs.. good luck. I wouldn't honor it!
Old 03-16-2005, 12:29 PM   #7
kpSVT
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 2994
What I Drive: 2008 WRX, 2002

FF Reputation: 1 kpSVT Good Standing Member
thats not real comforting............
Old 03-16-2005, 01:28 PM   #8
coleslaststand
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 6500
What I Drive: black 2004SVTEuro; '02 spyder eclipse gt

FF Reputation: 1 coleslaststand Good Standing Member
Funny that he told you to get it in writing because if I am not mistaken, mods are covered in Ford's own warranty write up and it pretty much says exactly what you told the service department ... my advice to the dealer would be to read the warranty manual. The exact passage is either in our SVT supplement or in the Warranty hand book.
Mods = Hypnotic's SCT tune; Screaming Demon coil and wire package; Denso Iridium ITV24's; FR STS; VF rear mount; ported TB; Custom wing; VIS CF vented hood; Hypnotic's SRI; SCO 4 gauge grounding wires and ORP ...
Old 03-16-2005, 11:52 PM   #9
Wailabod
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 13499
What I Drive: black 02 focus svt

FF Reputation: 1 Wailabod Good Standing Member
my service manager said he was being honest w/ me and said that if you lower your car it effects everything, therefore they can blame almost everything on lowering the car cause u change the way the whole car rides
Old 03-17-2005, 10:36 AM   #10
jonrjen

Fan#: 19523
What I Drive: 04 Screamin Yellow/EURO

FF Reputation: 1 jonrjen Good Standing Member
What's the big deal here? If you make performance changes to the car, you cannot expect Ford to cover your performance parts or the associated parts that are directly effected by your performance accessories. Most dealers don't care about you changing the air filter to a cone I.E.: short intake, but if the cone is mounted down where it could become water logged, you have now totally altered the air induction by locating it where it is not protected. Don't expect Ford to cover any warranty problems associated with this. If you add a computer tune, you have now altered the HP, TQ of the designed engine output, don't expect Ford to cover any internal drive train warranty issues. However if you add a CPU tune and your a/c goes out, or the seat squeaks the a/c and seat would be covered. A rear transmission mount should not void any part of the car except the transmission mount itself. Adding a UDP could be blamed for many areas of the drive train to be voided due to the new pulley rotation speed. Not saying that this is fair, as you are only freeing up parasitic power loss.
Best plan of action would be, go introduce yourself to the Service Manager of the dealership. Ask him point blank, if I do this (whatever it may be) and have a problem what stand will the service department take......customer or Ford. Remember service departments get paid for warranty work.........they lose it all if you go elsewhere.
Ford Racing sells a number of after-market accessories such as the UDP, ask the Service Manager if you purchase it from the dealership and have them install the part, will the warranty be effected?
Bottom line is "You Got to pay the cost to be the Boss. " If you are going to make any changes to the stock form of the car, be prepared to accept the responsibilities that are associated with your decisions.

Bookmarks & Social Networks