Brake Upgrade for SVT - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis

Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis The place to go for answers on brakes, suspension, camber, alignment and more.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-15-2005, 10:30 AM   #1
able2roll
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 11007
What I Drive: 2002 Silver SVT

FF Reputation: 1 able2roll Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Brake Upgrade for SVT

I want to upgrade the brakes on my SVT a little.I was thinking about getting the Aeroquip steel-braided brake lines and some new pads.Has anyone upgrade their SVT's rotors?Is it a worthwhile thing to do?What size are the SVT's stock rotors?Also, what pads have you all used?The o.e. pads from Ford put out a lot of brake dust, so I was thinking of the Hawk ceramic pads, or perhaps some of the EBC brand pads, or the Mintex pads.Any thoughts?

Check out my profile, as well as my team's, at OnlineShowoff...
http://factionrSVT.onlineshowoff.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2005, 11:12 AM   #2
lwnslw
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 3640
What I Drive: F150

FF Reputation: 1 lwnslw Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
FYI,
I have the Stainless Steel brake lines and EBC Green stuff brake pads purchased from Steeda and it brakes better than stock. Caution on the EBC... they dust just as bad as the stock pads. They are suppose to be dustless but from my experience they aren't. My next brake job will consist of slotted rotors with Hawk pads but for now all I did was the lines with EBC.
L8R
Old 03-15-2005, 11:26 AM   #3
jaykirs
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 13947
What I Drive: 2004 Infra-Red ZX3 SVT

FF Reputation: 1 jaykirs Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally posted by lwnslw
Caution on the EBC... they dust just as bad as the stock pads. They are suppose to be dustless but from my experience they aren't.

That is good to know because I was thinking about getting those Green Stuff pads because they were supposed to be "dustless", I hate the stock pads because they dirty my wheels so dern fast!! I will look into some ceramic pads or something. I put Ceramics on my girlfriends 3000GT and they don't hardly dust at all and her wheels stay clean for a good while!!
04 SVTF #204 of 1978
SVT Squad #66

Understeer scares the driver, oversteer scares the passenger.
Old 03-15-2005, 11:33 AM   #4
PapoSwing
Regulator...mount up

Fan#: 3062
What I Drive: 03 Pitch Black SVT

FF Reputation: 28 PapoSwing Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
What other good, "dustless" break pads are out there for our SVTF's?
Old 03-15-2005, 02:56 PM   #5
Stephen S.
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 12276
What I Drive: 1962 Ferrari 250 GTO

FF Reputation: 1 Stephen S. Good Standing Member
How much of a change did the brake lines make? Always something I've been considering.....
Old 03-15-2005, 04:56 PM   #6
seraphim
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 13621
What I Drive: 2002 CD Silver SVT

FF Reputation: 1 seraphim Good Standing Member
As far as I know the lowest dust pads for the SVTF are Mintex, but pretty much all the pads for the SVTF have a dusting problem.

I also have the EBC Green Stuff pads and while they are less dusty than stock, they are still pretty dusty.

Slotted rotors are good, don't get drilled ones though, they are pointless and they will make Swis-Cheese out of your pads.

If you really wanted to upgrade then you should think about going "size up" on your front rotors and getting thicker rear rotors, but full brake upgrades begin at about $1500 and can go as high as $3200 for the SVTF so you have to have the big money.
K&N Filter, EBC Pads, EBC Slotted & dimpled Rotors, FR Blue Painted Calipers, Spec Stage 2+, Spec Flywheel, Torsen T2 LSD, Driver and Pass. Steeda Engine mounts, CFM lower mount, Ingals Torque dampner (modified to fit the SVT), CFM STS, 70% tint
Old 03-15-2005, 05:41 PM   #7
SVTmonkey
Focus Addict

Fan#: 9482
What I Drive: 04 CD Silver SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 2 SVTmonkey Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Not to bash your intentions, but why would you want to upgrade the brakes? We can already out brake an SVT Cobra! Any faster and you'll have a ford logo stamped on your forehead every time you tap the brakes (from the steering wheel ).
Old 03-15-2005, 05:46 PM   #8
svtfocus2k4
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 15709
What I Drive: 2004 SB SVTF 2003 DSG Cobra

FF Reputation: 1 svtfocus2k4 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
Trust me SVTmonkey. If you have better tires on the car you will find that the brakes can use some more power. You are correct in the fact that you dont need to upgrade (that is if you dont plan to get better tires) because you will just be scrubbing off more tire..

Just my .02 take it or leave it.
Old 03-15-2005, 08:02 PM   #9
cutchemist00
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 8673
What I Drive: 2004 Focus SVT/CD Silver/European Apperance Package/Rota Slipstreams

FF Reputation: 1 cutchemist00 Good Standing Member
Does anybody know of a front caliper upgrade? I don't think the front rotors need to be any bigger, but even after a canyon run my brakes feel weak; I just don't think the one piston (correct me if I am wrong here) is cutting it.
Old 03-15-2005, 08:12 PM   #10
lwnslw
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 3640
What I Drive: F150

FF Reputation: 1 lwnslw Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
FYI
The ceramics are AWESOME, I installed them on my wifes 02 Explorer and her rims can go months without cleaning. As far as ceramic pads for the SVT go, I ordered a set and the part number at Advanced Auto and Autozone were the same BUT the pads were NOT for the SVT instead they were for the regular Focus even though the computer listed it as SVT pads. Hopefully they will get it right as I would like to get ceramic if at all possible.
L8R

Bookmarks & Social Networks