Replace gaskets - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-11-2014, 08:25 PM   #11
sykozis
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 137929
What I Drive: 2005 Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 sykozis Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I've never seen a Focus timing cover leak oil..... In my experience, oil pans leaking are quite rare. Valve cover is pretty well a guarantee though.

After you clean up the engine. Hit your local parts store and ask for some oil leak detector dye. Most part stores should have a nice little kit that includes the dye, black light and glasses. Pour the dye in, drive for a week and see what glows.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2014, 01:45 PM   #12
Warpedlogic
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 55325
What I Drive: Red 2005 Ford Focus ZX4 ST

FF Reputation: 1 Warpedlogic Good Standing Member
Hey guys. I looked at the leaks but I'm not sure about it. There's a huge mess of oil when looking to the right of the alt when looking from the passenger side. It looks too low to be an vc gasket, to me. How far down is the timing cover on this car in relation to the alt? Here's a pic of what I'm seeing. Sorry it might not be the best.
Old 04-12-2014, 03:28 PM   #13
sykozis
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 137929
What I Drive: 2005 Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 sykozis Good Standing Member
Trying to find and fix an oil leak when oil is covering an engine is a waste of time and money.

Clean off the engine and put oil leak detector dye in it. After a few days, shine a black light on it and you'll be able to see exactly where it's leaking from.
Old 04-12-2014, 03:29 PM   #14
Warpedlogic
Focus Enthusiast

Will do. Thanks!
Old 04-14-2014, 11:23 AM   #15
elsolo
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96835
What I Drive: 2003 dark shadow grey metallic ZX3

FF Reputation: 17 elsolo Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sykozis View Post
Trying to find and fix an oil leak when oil is covering an engine is a waste of time and money.

Clean off the engine and put oil leak detector dye in it. After a few days, shine a black light on it and you'll be able to see exactly where it's leaking from.
If it's a bad leak,in a few days there will be just as much a mess but it will be blacklight active.

Drive it to lunch and back was often enough run time to see where the leak is coming from with dye.
Old 04-14-2014, 03:13 PM   #16
Highball116
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 112564
What I Drive: 2005 Red ZX4

FF Reputation: 1 Highball116 Good Standing Member
I did the valve cover gaskets on my 2005. The #4 spark plug well was filling. I also have some grime on the accessory side of the block near the alternator. I can't tell where it's coming from, but I'm not losing a lot of fluid so I don't worry about it. For oil to leak into the timing cover, it would have to be coming out of the camshaft seals. You'll be able to see both sides of the seals when the valve cover is off. That's a big job for a weekend mechanic, but a very easy and lucrative repair for a dealership with specialty tools. Start with the valve cover, clean everything up, and see what happens after that.

Toby
Old 04-14-2014, 03:13 PM   #17
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

FF Reputation: 23 amc49 Great Standing Member
Yep, sooner is better a few days is too late.
Old 04-20-2014, 01:02 AM   #18
Warpedlogic
Focus Enthusiast

Hey guys! Put in a U/V sensitive dye into the oil by Auto Pro and a week later there's no glowing around any of the gaskets mentioned by Ford. So it's either a very slow leak or it was just a lot of grime built up from the years. Thanks all for the advice.
Old 04-20-2014, 08:12 AM   #19
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Ok, might be power steering pump or reservoir then. I would monitor the fluid level. On the 05 it's over in that corner.

For engine cleaning: Purple cleaner is marketed under several company names, but its always purple, and available at parts stores. I prefer to get the gallon container and use my own spray bottles because I use it on so much stuff. Use it undiluted, and spray down the engine at a high pressure self car wash with the engine running. Avoid the exhaust as much as you can. Blast it off with the pressure washer with the engine running. The reason you do it with the engine running is in the off chance that you disconnect something with the pressure washer- you'll know where to look if you cut the engine off. Of course, avoid focusing high pressure on things like the gasket edges, coil connectors, or the air cleaner. You can usually clean an engine fairly quickly and thoroughly like this.

That's interesting that they make oil dye. Never knew that. In the past, I've always just cleaned and kept checking under the hood until the leak made itself known. That doesn't always happen quickly, and it can take up to a month on slow seeping leaks. I haven't had a whole lot of luck with UV dye and refrigerant leaks, so I don't think I'll try it on oil leaks. My experience is that I can find the leak just as quickly by cleaning parts that I suspect and checking back again.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 04-20-2014, 12:51 PM   #20
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 60 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Slow seepage & grime buildup you can live with indefinitely.

Heck, even on a Motorcycle where it's all out in the open washing it takes care of the slow ones that develop. "Seep or Weep is not a leak, so it's not a warranty issue" per BMW for example.

That saves a bunch!

S.R. #275

Bookmarks & Social Networks