180* T-Stat Question - Page 5 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 05:21 PM   #41
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

FF Reputation: 153 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
Winter (snow) states and short hop driving with the lower thermostat will lead to all sorts of problems.
For some boy racers, the lower thermostat with a tune etc will be great. For everyone else.. skip this
What problems will it lead to when you had a 180 deg thermostat in your Focus and a tune ?

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2014, 08:14 PM   #42
Eminaga
Focus Addict

Fan#: 123953
What I Drive: 2014 Focus SE (Performance Blue)

FF Reputation: 1 Eminaga Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
If your car is a 'grocery getter' you definitely do NOT want to do this mod.
Nor if your driving is short hops.
Lots of racing around for longer periods.. plenty of full speed freeway driving. HOT Summers..Warm Winters..
Winter (snow) states and short hop driving with the lower thermostat will lead to all sorts of problems.
For some boy racers, the lower thermostat with a tune etc will be great. For everyone else.. skip this
Can you explain why u say this please?

Old 04-12-2014, 10:09 PM   #43
Elizabeth
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 89280
What I Drive: '12 Yellow Focus SE stick, 17"rims

FF Reputation: 14 Elizabeth Great Standing Member
No problem. Do it. I am certain you will be happy.
No way would I change the thermostat unless I was racing the car.
For daily driving? ONly if you live in the Middle East. Or maybe Australia/Africa with typical temps over 100F.

For wannabe racers this is a great mod. You can talk about it. impress your buddies. But unless you are actually racing.. It is not much use, and generally a bad idea. If I have to explain it from scratch? Hah.
Good luck though.

Old 04-12-2014, 10:23 PM   #44
Eminaga
Focus Addict

Sounds like you have no idea why you are saying all this I have been researching this for hours over last few days and it really does not have negatives. Unless you can give an explenation nobody should listen to you

Old 04-12-2014, 10:26 PM   #45
Elizabeth
Focus Fanatic

Of course no one should listen to me. I agree fully. Forget i even posted it. Be happy.
Sorry i even mentioned it. I am sure it will be perfect.

Oops I Googled lower temp themostat and the very first post I cut and past for your pleasure:
""
We have discussed this on another board, but once the car is up to operating temperature, there is NO DIFFERENCE between having a low temp thermostat and a high temp one, once they are both open. It is radiators, not thermostats, that are responsible for coolant temperatures. The only difference is that the low temp opens sooner, which actually causes your engine to take longer to get up to operating temp, which is not necessarily a good thing.

So, it's really only the "interim" period that is different, when your coolant is between 160 and 190 degrees, and I have not seen any definitive issues that occur during that timeframe.

Good luck.

Old 04-12-2014, 10:37 PM   #46
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

FF Reputation: 153 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
It is not much use, and generally a bad idea. If I have to explain it from scratch? Hah.
Still curious what bad things happen to your Focus with the 180 deg thermostat installed , you talk about it like you must have a lot of experience with a 180 thermostat in a Focus engine ????? If you havent done it just say you have no experience and it all opinion ??

Yes please explain it to me ? I have only installed about 70 of them personal in Focus engine and tuned them and tuned another few Hundred Foci with 180 deg thermostat with no issues

It seems there is a lot of people that have opinions about the 180 deg thermostat but they all dont seem to have ever tested them to back up there opinions or questionings

Tom

Customer Support

Elder 1turbofocus

Old 04-12-2014, 10:49 PM   #47
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Quote:
Of course no one should listen to me. I agree fully. Forget i even posted it. Be happy.
Sorry i even mentioned it. I am sure it will be perfect.

Oops I Googled lower temp themostat and the very first post I cut and past for your pleasure:
""
We have discussed this on another board, but once the car is up to operating temperature, there is NO DIFFERENCE between having a low temp thermostat and a high temp one, once they are both open. It is radiators, not thermostats, that are responsible for coolant temperatures. The only difference is that the low temp opens sooner, which actually causes your engine to take longer to get up to operating temp, which is not necessarily a good thing.

So, it's really only the "interim" period that is different, when your coolant is between 160 and 190 degrees, and I have not seen any definitive issues that occur during that timeframe.

Good luck.
Guy obviously didnt know what he was talking about , its the Fans / Raidiator that are responsible for coolant temperatures. Fans being the key , Thermostat has very little to do with the engines temperature except for cold days , Thermostat is there mostly to bring the engine up to its operating temps quicker , On the Focus depending on ECU code, year and engine thats 145 to 165 deg in the ECU settings , NOT the 180 or 196 that the thermostat is

The tuning WITH the 180 deg thermostat is the key as well , this changes the " Up to temperature " settings , low / high speed fan settings and a few more things

Tom

Customer Support

Elder 1turbofocus

Old 04-12-2014, 11:18 PM   #48
Elizabeth
Focus Fanatic

No,i agree you are 100% right. Obviously the manufacturers are tricking us all into using thermostats 20F too warm so we ruin our engines faster and thus have to buy new cars sooner.
I wonder what is in thier collective heads to do something so evil and stupid.
And that it is not a big scandal?

"Car makers want YOU to over-heat Hah ha" as the headlines..

It HAS to be a conspiracy.
I hope you can bring the Truth to all Humans.

Old 04-12-2014, 11:28 PM   #49
bluehatch14
Focus Addict

Fan#: 111245
What I Drive: 2012 blue se hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 bluehatch14 Good Standing Member
Where are you getting the idea that Tom is trying to say the dealer puts bad tstats in the focus? He never said the stock tstat is bad for your car. Nor did he say you NEED to perform this mod to run safely. Obviously you don't because there plenty of people who run his and injected's tune with out the 180 tstat. I see people all the time attack him on the forum like he doesn't have a clue what he is saying. I can tell you right now that anyone can look up something on Google and copy and paste it. I'm sorry but there is something to be said for experience and time on the job.

Old 04-12-2014, 11:53 PM   #50
Eminaga
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluehatch14 View Post
Where are you getting the idea that Tom is trying to say the dealer puts bad tstats in the focus? He never said the stock tstat is bad for your car. Nor did he say you NEED to perform this mod to run safely. Obviously you don't because there plenty of people who run his and injected's tune with out the 180 tstat. I see people all the time attack him on the forum like he doesn't have a clue what he is saying. I can tell you right now that anyone can look up something on Google and copy and paste it. I'm sorry but there is something to be said for experience and time on the job.
Well said.

Closed Thread

Bookmarks & Social Networks