Build: 2005 Focus ZX3 (Big plans in the future!) - Page 6 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus Builds & General Showroom

Ford Focus Builds & General Showroom Post pictures and information of your Focus being built or your car images here. We want to see your Focus! More Images: Visit Our Online Ford Focus Gallery

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-12-2014, 05:16 PM   #51
replica81
Focus Addict

Fan#: 88615
What I Drive: 05 ST

FF Reputation: 3 replica81 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I can't stop laughing at the oil feed line into the oil filter.
SR #272
Beer and Metal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2014, 05:31 PM   #52
iminhell
C2H5OH

Fan#: 36222
What I Drive: 2000 & 2001 ZX3's

FF Reputation: 48 iminhell Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005focuszx3 View Post
No, unfortunately that isn't a joke. I never tested my sandwich plate adapter to see if it fit. It didn't. I had seen this on a Honda forum (leave it to those guys, they're crafty bastards) and it worked for them with no issues. Mine didn't leak at all and fed enough oil. Don't worry, I didn't keep it that way. The kit has been removed and the car is NA again.

I'm glad it's off the car.

I don't know how to be gentle with this so I'm just going to be me and honest,
I don't feel you belong under the hood. Yes you may have a little mechanical ability, but you lack the knowledge that should be accompanied with it. That is, understanding how parts/systems interact. There is a big difference between 'works' and safe. The fact you neglected the safe option confirms the lack of knowledge statement.

I am not saying you don't have the ability to learn, far from it. I am just saying that you should take the time to learn and then go forward with your project/plans. You will save yourself many headaches and money as well as add life to the car.
With that in mind, please ask questions before you just dive in next time. There are a lot of knowledge people on this forum that will be happy to direct and help in a safe manner.
Old 05-12-2014, 05:31 PM   #53
2005focuszx3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 128530
What I Drive: 2005 Black Focus ZX3 SES

FF Reputation: 1 2005focuszx3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by replica81 View Post
I can't stop laughing at the oil feed line into the oil filter.
I was astounded it worked actually. But hey, I needed to know how everything was going to function before I could proceed. Good news is that it was a trashed filter anyway (note the dent in the bottom) And I learned that my turbo leaks an obscene amount of oil around the seals. So this build is on hold until I get a new turbo, or a rebuild kit. Probably a new turbo since this one is a baby 47mm and I just don't think it's big enough. I will continue to build the motor though!

Just ordered a full gasket set last night, with an OEM head gasket (I think its .030 or .035") and also got myself a new ribbed tensioner pulley. This build should speed up mid to late summer.
Old 05-12-2014, 05:39 PM   #54
2005focuszx3
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell View Post
I'm glad it's off the car.

I don't know how to be gentle with this so I'm just going to be me and honest,
I don't feel you belong under the hood. Yes you may have a little mechanical ability, but you lack the knowledge that should be accompanied with it. That is, understanding how parts/systems interact. There is a big difference between 'works' and safe. The fact you neglected the safe option confirms the lack of knowledge statement.

I am not saying you don't have the ability to learn, far from it. I am just saying that you should take the time to learn and then go forward with your project/plans. You will save yourself many headaches and money as well as add life to the car.
With that in mind, please ask questions before you just dive in next time. There are a lot of knowledge people on this forum that will be happy to direct and help in a safe manner.
I don't mean to be a dick here either, and will keep it simple. I have two years of formal automotive training (graduated with award), and graduated from the Hennessey Performance Tuner School Fall 2013 class. I DO know what I'm doing, but sometimes you have to improvise to be able to test the system. I'm pretty sure you've said "Don't think outside the box, there is no box." I removed the box to conquer an obstacle in order to test the condition of my turbo kit. I understand it wasn't the RIGHT thing to do, but I had worked on fitting and building that kit for the whole day before, and wasn't going to take it all off again without testing it.

Again, I don't mean to be a jerk. I'm just sayin'.
Old 05-12-2014, 05:41 PM   #55
replica81
Focus Addict

Fan#: 88615
What I Drive: 05 ST

FF Reputation: 3 replica81 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005focuszx3 View Post
I was astounded it worked actually. But hey, I needed to know how everything was going to function before I could proceed. Good news is that it was a trashed filter anyway (note the dent in the bottom) And I learned that my turbo leaks an obscene amount of oil around the seals. So this build is on hold until I get a new turbo, or a rebuild kit. Probably a new turbo since this one is a baby 47mm and I just don't think it's big enough. I will continue to build the motor though!
It's a good way to test the rest of the system. I'd personally stop the install and buy an oil pan with a bung before even starting the car. But that oil filter method seems to work in a pinch. I'd never drive it anywhere though. Just diagnosis.

It still looks funny as hell.
SR #272
Beer and Metal.
Old 05-12-2014, 05:46 PM   #56
2005focuszx3
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by replica81 View Post
It's a good way to test the rest of the system. I'd personally stop the install and buy an oil pan with a bung before even starting the car. But that oil filter method seems to work in a pinch. I'd never drive it anywhere though. Just diagnosis.

It still looks funny as hell.
That's exactly what it was, diagnosis. I had another oil pan laying around, so I wasn't too worried about drilling the pan.
Old 05-12-2014, 05:48 PM   #57
iminhell
C2H5OH

School proves nothing. I've seen plenty of 'educated' idiots.

I'm quite sure there's a removable oil galley plug somewhere on the engine that could be used for turbo oil feed. The fact that there are hundreds of other Duratec's out there that are turbo'd confirms this fact.

Example:

Do you have any type of oil volume restrictor on the turbo?
If not, that may be why your leaking oil past the seals. A turbo doesn't need full oil flow. It needs a very small volume. And when the drain is restrictive, even less ... that 90* right out the bottom is a restriction. A 45* would be a better choice as it's less restrictive.

Read: http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbob...il_water_lines
Old 05-12-2014, 05:53 PM   #58
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 60 sailor Excellent Standing Member
I had to page back to see the "funny looking" hookup.

Worked for the test purposes, def. "out of the box" thinking.

Modding every filter might be PITA (grin), enough reason for a better permanent solution.

S.R. #275

There & Back Again...
Old 05-12-2014, 05:56 PM   #59
iminhell
C2H5OH

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
I had to page back to see the "funny looking" hookup.

Worked for the test purposes, def. "out of the box" thinking.

Modding every filter might be PITA (grin), enough reason for a better permanent solution.

What side of the oil filter contains the debris?

See where I'm going?
Old 05-12-2014, 06:11 PM   #60
2005focuszx3
Focus Enthusiast

This setup was NEVER meant to be a permanent solution to feed my turbo the oil it needs. Like I had said, I had bought a sandwich plate, but it was the wrong size. The turbo DOES have a restrictor in it, so that's not the problem. I had partially taken down the turbo to assess it when I bought it, and the seals that I did look at weren't in great shape. I had planned on this turbo being no good because I bought it used and for $95. I just needed a t3/t4 body turbo to be able to get measurements and whatnot to be able to weld the piping together.

As far as the "contaminants" side of the filter goes, it's better to have SOME oil than none at all. The "line in the filter" was used just long enough to test the setup, then removed.

That being said, I think we should just return this thread to what it was meant to be, and that's a build thread, not a "criticize this guy's choices in his build" thread. Feel free to PM me if you have an issue with what I'm doing.

Bookmarks & Social Networks