Build: 2005 Focus ZX3 (Big plans in the future!) - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus Builds & General Showroom

Ford Focus Builds & General Showroom Post pictures and information of your Focus being built or your car images here. We want to see your Focus! More Images: Visit Our Online Ford Focus Gallery

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-13-2014, 07:28 PM   #11
2005focuszx3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 128530
What I Drive: 2005 Black Focus ZX3 SES

FF Reputation: 1 2005focuszx3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06FX4 View Post
progress is looking good to me!
^^^It would be better if the junkyard hadn't sold me a blown up engine! I could have had the whole block cleaned up and ready to buy parts and assemble. But now I have to overbore the engine and sleeve it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2014, 07:43 PM   #12
2005focuszx3
Focus Enthusiast

I just looked into the price of cylinder sleeves, and they're outrageous! I'd be better off going out and picking up a different engine. The really upsetting thing is that I paid a pretty good amount of money for this engine understanding that it was in "A grade" condition. I think I'm going to give the owner of the junkyard a call.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:45 AM   #13
2005focuszx3
Focus Enthusiast

Okay, so here's the deal. I called the yard I got the motor from, and they said to bring in the short block and all my disassembled pieces and they would look it over. If they decide it really is junk (and if they don't I'll know they're full of crap and will never use them again) they'll replace the motor at no cost to me (they have another one out of an 06) So it looks like the motor build is still on. I'll be going to the yard on Friday to exchange it.

As for the turbo build, almost all of my parts have been ordered and are on their way! I'll post pictures when I get all of the parts. Some things are coming from as far away as Canada, so they'll take a while to get to Texas.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:15 AM   #14
204ZX3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 153938
What I Drive: 2004 Silver Focus ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 204ZX3 Good Standing Member
Hopefully they will swap it for ya
Hatch Nation #113
Old 04-17-2014, 11:29 AM   #15
2005focuszx3
Focus Enthusiast

Intercooler arrived in the mail the other day! I also got some O2 bungs for the custom 2.5 inch downpipe I'll be making, and a few silicon couplers. Still waiting on the cold side piping and my 2.5 stainless piping for the downpipe, plus a few miscellaneous things. Anyway, I figured I'd post some pictures of the intercooler.

I just got something cheap that would work for now. Maybe it will end up working nicely and I won't have to replace it!

The core looks pretty crappy, but hey it was a $63 intercooler what can you expect?

A friend of mine who is a real turbo Miata fan, and works for Bell Engineering (as in Corky Bell) asked why I didn't get a nice shiny intercooler. The answer? You can hardly tell there is an intercooler in there when it's black!

Yes, I know the intercooler isn't centered. I was just checking to see what it would look like in there. I still have to remove the fairing on the passenger side so it will fit right. Maybe you can see what I'm talking about. I removed the other one to get better air flow to my intake. The horns will have to be relocated in order to run charge piping through there.
Old 04-17-2014, 02:17 PM   #16
besthaticouldo
i wear no pants

Fan#: 26970
What I Drive: '11 OBP WRX Sedan

FF Reputation: 104 besthaticouldo Excellent Standing Member besthaticouldo Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (23)
You can go a small overbore, like .020 over and not have to sleeve it. That's the route that's probably the cheapest and best route.

You should be machining the block, heads, and crank before assembly anyway.

Assembling a motor with no machine work is suicide.
remember that building a car shouldn’t come from parts it should come from deep inside your soul. let the car speak for all the emotions, memories and experiences youve made and the car will take a life of its own. truth over fame.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:09 PM   #17
2005focuszx3
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by besthaticouldo View Post
You can go a small overbore, like .020 over and not have to sleeve it. That's the route that's probably the cheapest and best route.

You should be machining the block, heads, and crank before assembly anyway.

Assembling a motor with no machine work is suicide.
I'm pretty sure it is going to take more than .020 overbore to take that gouge out of there. I finally found a reputable machine shop to do some work for me. I'm going to the junk yard tomorrow, and they should exchange my engine. If they don't I'll probably just keep the torn down engine I have, and do Darton sleeves down the road. Those are going to offset my budget by $700 plus the machining to get them in. I'll be machining everything else too before I assemble everything, but I was holding off until I found a good place, and got the motor all apart to inspect it.

My turbo stuff should all be here by the end of next week, so that should still be on my to do list. The cold side piping came in the mail earlier today.
Old 04-18-2014, 05:25 AM   #18
UltegraSTI
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 466
What I Drive: 2001 Yellow Honey

FF Reputation: 1 UltegraSTI Good Standing Member
scrap that block and move on. do not even fool with it. good luck

R
Old 04-18-2014, 11:41 AM   #19
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 67 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Yeah, that engine's toast. "Broke when parked"

Teardown experience only - get the exchange engine & move on.

S.R. #275
Old 04-18-2014, 07:28 PM   #20
2005focuszx3
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltegraSTI View Post
scrap that block and move on. do not even fool with it. good luck

R
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
Yeah, that engine's toast. "Broke when parked"

Teardown experience only - get the exchange engine & move on.
I was going to go get my exchange engine today, but I didn't have access to the truck today. I COULD have put the engine in the back of the Focus I suppose, but it would have been a real pain to get it back out. I'll be headed out there tomorrow afternoon hopefully.

I've been tossing around the idea lately of getting myself an MG. I've always wanted one, they're kinda like the old school Miata. I read the thread on the Zetec powered MG on here, and I found a really nice MG close by with a seized engine. It would make a cool swap! Any thoughts?

I still am working on the Turbo Kit, but I'm waiting on some more parts. It should be together pretty soon. Once I get it together, I may just put it up for sale to fund my next project (still to be determined) or fund the engine build

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->