Build: 2005 Focus ZX3 (Big plans in the future!) - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus Builds & General Showroom

Ford Focus Builds & General Showroom Post pictures and information of your Focus being built or your car images here. We want to see your Focus! More Images: Visit Our Online Ford Focus Gallery

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-07-2014, 04:14 PM   #1
2005focuszx3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 128530
What I Drive: 2005 Black Focus ZX3 SES

FF Reputation: 1 2005focuszx3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Build: 2005 Focus ZX3 (Big plans in the future!)

So I've finally decided to start a build thread of my car after owning it over a year. The car was a surprise Christmas present from my parents. The car had 22,071 miles on it when I first sat in it. That's no joke. Unfortunately, the car is an auto... But hey, I didn't pay for the car! So, a 5 speed swap is probably in the future. For a time I had lots of fun plastering the car in stickers (most of which have been removed). The car was a "rally car" for a short time as well, but since that started breaking things, I've stopped that. The ultimate plan is to have a really nice looking street driven car, that is used for roll racing and highway pulls, and taken to shows. I'm currently in the process of building a forged motor, and have partially completed a turbo kit. Anyway, enough talk. Pictures! (I hope they upload okay.)

First picture I ever took of the car. That's frost all over the windows, which is a real rarity for North Houston Texas.

Soon I did an extra set of fog lights, with yellow lenses. I had quad fogs on my 1985 BMW 535i and they looked sweet lit up. Along with the fogs, I blacked out the grille.

Another picture with the fogs all lit up

Here's my car with two of my friend's/classmate's cars. This was while I attended the Fall 2013 session of Hennessey Performance Tuner School. Blue hatch WRX has Crawford muffler delete, Cobb DP, K&N intake, Cobb tune. Made 288awhp on 93. Red car is a 2012 (I think) Kia Forte Coupe. He has LOADS of exterior stuff done, but the best part is that it's completely straight piped. It was affectionately named the "Farte" because of the sound it makes when you start it. Sets off car alarms too.

I did a custom intake. This is the only pic I have of it, but it sounds MEAN!

I soon began to gather parts to do a custom turbo kit. As I sit now, I have an ebay t3/t4 turbo (47mm compressor, .63 A/R Hotside) for mach up. Will be upgraded to a Precision turbo probably. I've also got a 38mm external wastegate with screamer pipe. I custom fabbed a crappy downpipe just to test fit something. Pics are of the turbo kit being test fitted into the car.

Here's it in the car. I went with top mount to be different, but it's bringing a few fitment headaches.

I used to be sticker crazed, like I said. Almost all of this stuff is gone now.
The car is super dirty because I just got back from some back roads with my Subaru friends.

Pic of my car with my friend's POS Ford Festiva rally beater. He was tired of breaking his Subaru, and we picked this up for $600 with 88K on it. Also, my other friend's Miata can be seen in there.

Picked up a motor from the junkyard last month. Going to do a fully forged motor in preparation for high boost and much power. (I know my tranny won't hold it. That's why I'm going to 5 speed swap at some point.)

Here's a digital rendering of the wheels I'd like to get. Thoughts? I know they're cheap knockoff wheels, but I like them.

Quite possibly my favorite picture of the car.

I did Eibach Sportline springs last weekend. The car corners AMAZING now. The ride is a little bouncy with the stock dampers, but not terrible. It went down 2" front and 2.25" in the rear. May settle out some. I picked the springs up for $178 on ebay, brand new in an opened box.

Stock vs Sportline front springs.

These style spring compressors are a dangerous idea! But it's what I had to work with... That's the compressed spring next to a relaxed spring. Both front. How much potential energy do you suppose is behind that?

Here's how it sits:

Another shot:

I guess I should make a list of what's actually in the car. So, Here you go:
Custom Intake
Custom exhaust with high flow "muffler". Both Cats still in- for now...
EGR Delete- Made a custom plate.
Eibach Sportlines

That's really all that's in the car. I'm going to continue working on the forged motor and the turbo kit, and will post pictures as I go (and as I remember to take them.) Anyway, thanks for looking!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2014, 08:19 PM   #2
br0cus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 127098
What I Drive: 2000 Black ZTS

FF Reputation: 2 br0cus Good Standing Member
lol Ive never seen fogs like those before
Old 04-09-2014, 02:16 AM   #3
GBear
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 96572
What I Drive: 2005 Pitch Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 GBear Good Standing Member
I'll keep a close eye on this thread. Also got a 05 Black ZX3.
Team Duratec #50

2005 Pitch Black ZX3
Old 04-10-2014, 08:33 AM   #4
2005focuszx3
Focus Enthusiast

The fogs are just generic cheapo lights from Autozone. They aren't great for visibility, but they look cool. Like I said, I got the idea from my old 1985 BMW 535i that I was restoring. Here's a pic.

I loved that car! If I ever come across another for a decent price, I'll probably get it.

Also, I should be ordering parts to finish my turbo kit sometime this week. Not sure when they'll all be here to start working on it. Here's what I'm getting:

Stainless steel for the downpipe
Intercooler
Charge piping
3" MAF housing
All the silicon couplers/adapters I'll need
O2 bungs for custom 2.5" downpipe
High flow 300 cell catalytic converter (to deaden sound and keep emissions to spec.)
Old 04-10-2014, 10:19 AM   #5
2005focuszx3
Focus Enthusiast

Time for an update. I've begun tearing down the engine. I don't have many pictures, but will get some when I can. Right now the motor is on the stand with the oil pan off, valve cover off, timing cover off, and the timing chain and all sprockets removed. Next is to remove the cams and head.

I've decided to go with the Supertech 4032 forged pistons with a 10.4:1 compression. I'll be using a .040 Cometic head gasket. As for rods, I've found this company called Molnar Technologies. Has anyone ever heard of them or used them? They're said to be 4340 forged/billet steel and they're lighter than other rods I've found. Manufacturer's part number is FH5758DEB4-A and they come with ARP hardware! Reasonably priced I might add. Here's a product pic on those.

As for the tear down of the motor, these are the pics I have.

The motor only had 80K on it when I got it, but the oil pan is full of sludge! I'll just clean it up real nice.

So I knew I would have to extend the piping for my external wastegate dump. I got to thinking, and decided to resonate it. Why? I don't want cop trouble. I had built a resonator that I was going to use on my exhaust system, but never did. I welded a few more pieces on it, and this is what I have. I just have to wait to test fit it before trimming off any excess or making any bends (mainly to clear the subframe and steering rack)

Old 04-11-2014, 10:36 PM   #6
2005focuszx3
Focus Enthusiast

Alright everyone, heres tonight's progress. The goal was to get the head off and inspect everything. I got that done, but with one concern. Read on for more information.

Here's where I left off last time:

Here is the bottom end:

First things first, I removed the camshaft caps/bearings and carefully bagged and tagged them so I know where each of them came from. Then I removed the cams and labeled those.

Then I removed the lifters, and was shocked to find that they aren't hydraulic! I suppose that shouldn't come as too much of a surprise. Here's the head from a top view with the cams and lifters removed.

And here is the block with the head removed:

Now on to the concerning things: When I originally got the motor, and removed the spark plugs, I noticed that the one in cylinder number 3 (third from the timing chain) was a little tough to thread in and out compared to the others. I didn't think anything of it until I got the head off. The walls in cylinder number 3 are quite discolored compared to those of 1, 2, and 4. On top of that, the combustion chamber is colored different and one of the exhaust valves has what appears to be scoring on the edges. The intake valves have some nasty buildup too, on cylinder 3 only. Cylinders 1, 2, and 4 all appear to be normal. I'll put in some pictures for you guys to look at and ponder this with me. I'm hoping its just plain corrosion from the motor sitting in the warehouse for who knows how long with the valves open. the intake valves in other cylinders wouldn't have been affected because I had a full intake and throttle body on it to keep them out of the elements. Exhaust valves on CYLINDER 3 were OPEN when I picked the engine up. The other possibility I'm tossing around is piston ring blow by, which seems unlikely in only one cylinder in an engine with only 80k. Anyway, pictures as promised.

Discoloration of cylinder 3:

Combustion chamber of cylinder 3. Chamber 2 is on the left, 4 is on the right. the coloration just seems off. Also note the "scoring" on the edges of the bottom right exhaust valve of combustion chamber 3. Those marks are ONLY on that one valve. Also note that I only threaded the spark plug part way back in after removing it the first time, so that's not the problem.

I think I'll just buy myself a cheap cylinder hone and deglaze/resurface the cylinders and call it good. I'm not terribly concerned about the condition of the cylinder, but wanted some input. I'm REALLY particular when it comes to building engines, so I want to make sure everything is perfect. I've never come across this before though.

Any thoughts or comments are appreciated!
Old 04-11-2014, 10:46 PM   #7
2005focuszx3
Focus Enthusiast

I also got my sandwich plate and rod bearings in the mail today! I got the plate so when my turbo kit is finished, I'll have a way to "feed the snail" so it doesn't blow up!
Old 04-12-2014, 02:48 PM   #8
2005focuszx3
Focus Enthusiast

Engine build on hold. Turbo kit will get finished though!

I found the culprit of the funny colored combustion chamber. It ended up being pretty much worst case scenario here... The middle piston ring on cylinder 3 was absolutely grenaded. I was able to recover ten pieces, but there are more. I'm suspecting some are in the oil pan, which I haven't cleaned yet. They cylinder has some pretty serious gouges in it (probably from broken rings squeezing their way past the piston and through the cylinder. The gouges are horizontal within the piston. They're pretty deep. I had hoped I could just clean up the bores and put in standard size pistons, now it looks like Im going to have to go quite oversized. I really don't want to get a new engine or a block. I think I can go full oversize (supertech offers 90mm bore) and the grooves should be able to be machined out (stock bore is 87.5mm. This gives me almost 2.5mm I can bore out, and the grooves certainly aren't that deep.) On the plus side, the rod bearings were relatively clean, so I shouldn't have to do any machine work there. Valves are also out of the head.

Can anyone recommend a good machine shop in the Houston area? preferably the Northwest part of Houston. I used one that's near my house once, and they did an awful job and screwed up several things, so I'll never use them again.

Anyway, here are some pictures from today's work:

Here's the grenaded piston ring.

Here you can get an idea for the damage done to cylinder 3. The groove I'm talking about is in the upper left region, and is a lighter silver color compared to the rest of the cylinder. It's deepest in that area, but there is another groove on the opposite side of the cylinder that isn't as bad, and just a little closer to BDC than this one.

The crankshaft appears to be in good shape, which is a huge bonus! Cylinder 1 (front of engine) is to the left.

The valves are out of the head. I'll probably end up going with oversize valves too since the engine has to go to a machine shop now.

Here's the combustion chambers. Intake ports are on top, exhaust on bottom.

Again, if anyone knows of a good machine shop in the Houston area, please let me know! Also, any advice on where to go from here in the build is appreciated.
Old 04-13-2014, 04:53 PM   #9
2005focuszx3
Focus Enthusiast

Alright, I got the head cleaned up pretty well, along with the oil pan. It took me all day to wash out that stinking oil pan! If you're thinking of washing one out, here's some advice: DON'T! The casting is really terrible so there are sharp spots everywhere. My hands are all gouged up and bleeding. But, at least its clean (well, cleanER) and the head is cleaned up. Sorry I don't have any pictures to share.
Old 04-13-2014, 05:07 PM   #10
204ZX3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 153938
What I Drive: 2004 Silver Focus ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 204ZX3 Good Standing Member
progress is looking good to me!

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->