Questions about the different Injected tunes. - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-06-2014, 09:08 PM   #1
Kjanracing
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 135409
What I Drive: 2014 Ruby Red SE hatch with DCT

FF Reputation: 2 Kjanracing Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Questions about the different Injected tunes.

Hi all. I received my Injected tuner last week. Loaded the 93 octane tune. Love it. So, a few questions for the folks that have had the tuner for a while. Have you noticed a big power difference between the tunes: 87,91,93? D you have one you prefer over another? Have you found better fuel mileage with a certain tune? The 93 tune feels great, just not sure I want to run premium gas all the time as this is a commuter car. I haven't received the DCT tune yet as they are working on new files. Even without, the operation is a lot smoother. I'm really looking forward to loading the DCT tune. I'd love to dyno the tunes,switching fuel would be the hard part. Thoughts on testing all tunes with premium? I use the term premium because in Denver, we have 91 octane as the highest grade. Octane requirement is lower at higher altitudes, so I am actually running 91 octane fuel with the 93 tune. If I were making a trip to sea level or close, I'd back the tune down first.
Thanks for your input.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2014, 09:21 PM   #2
Whodatxevg
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 109173
What I Drive: 2013 Oxford White Focus SE Sedan M5

FF Reputation: 3 Whodatxevg Good Standing Member
Five speed, but if I drive conservatively I can get better MPGs with a tune (87 or 93 doesn't matter) because the increased torque in the low RPM range let's me shift sooner.
15.005 @93.77 - 15.020 @93.31
Old 04-06-2014, 09:22 PM   #3
Whodatxevg
Focus Enthusiast

I also just switched from 93 to 87 today because screw $4.20 gas. I feel a loss of power over 4000 RPM but below 4k it feels the same.

By loss of power I mean it still makes more than stock, just less than the 93 tune.

Last edited by Whodatxevg; 04-07-2014 at 03:22 AM.
Old 04-07-2014, 12:37 PM   #4
4mikebruns
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 119661
What I Drive: 2014 SGM DCT Focus SE (sedan)

FF Reputation: 2 4mikebruns Good Standing Member
Ive always found the 91 tune to make the most felt torque and had the smoothest powerband. I run 93 no matter what tune its on though. I'm in the same boat as you on waiting for DCT files... my last car had the DCT tuned as well and youre in for a treat. Be prepared for off the line wheel spin and 2nd gear chirp
Old 04-08-2014, 05:36 PM   #5
Jburks
Focus Addict

Fan#: 145009
What I Drive: 2014 Ford Focus Hatchback SE RR DCT

FF Reputation: 1 Jburks Good Standing Member
I wanted to know about the octane's as well. I was told if you are running the 93 octane then you should be using no less then 93 octane but if you run the 91 then you can run 91 octane and higher. is that correct? I live in washington and the highest octane we have is 92 so i wasnt sure if i should go with the 93 octane tune or 91 octane tune if i were to go with injected. We only have 87,89 and 92 octane gas here and i want to use premium.
Build thread-http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=382642
Old 04-08-2014, 05:39 PM   #6
4mikebruns
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jburks View Post
I wanted to know about the octane's as well. I was told if you are running the 93 octane then you should be using no less then 93 octane but if you run the 91 then you can run 91 octane and higher. is that correct? I live in washington and the highest octane we have is 92 so i wasnt sure if i should go with the 93 octane tune or 91 octane tune if i were to go with injected. We only have 87,89 and 92 octane gas here and i want to use premium.
Use an octane booster and you should be ok to run the 93 tune. It's not too expensive. I'd buy octane booster and fill with 89. It'll prob cost the same as filling with 92 between the bottle and gas. Just a suggestion.

I reprogrammed to 93 octane tune last night and today I noticed it does indeed pull harder in 93 mode than in 91. Must've been bad gas I had the 1st time I tried it
Old 04-08-2014, 05:45 PM   #7
Jburks
Focus Addict

I wouldnt be against doing that but then would that be something i have to do everytime i fill up? I would rather just get the 91 octane and run 92 unless it is okay to run 92 octane with the 93 tune. Tom said he can tune for the 92 octane so i might just go that route too. I'm still way on the fence about what tune i want to go with.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:48 PM   #8
Whodatxevg
Focus Enthusiast

On Injected's thread they did say that you can not run 92 or lower on the 93 tune, you can still 92+ on the 91 tune so you would be correct. I was also told by them that you can run e85 on the 93 tune provided your car is flex fuel capable.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:48 PM   #9
4mikebruns
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jburks View Post
I wouldnt be against doing that but then would that be something i have to do everytime i fill up? I would rather just get the 91 octane and run 92 unless it is okay to run 92 octane with the 93 tune. Tom said he can tune for the 92 octane so i might just go that route too. I'm still way on the fence about what tune i want to go with.
I won't argue who is better. To each his own. Injected will be releasing a Cam Lope feature soon though that'll make the car sound cammed and I'm looking forward to that. I chose them because I just wanted to be able to tune and be done and not data log for the best tune and what not. Nothing against Tom or SCT. Plus I used a promo code and my device was 400 shipping and all. So a tad cheaper.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:57 PM   #10
Jburks
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whodatxevg View Post
On Injected's thread they did say that you can not run 92 or lower on the 93 tune, you can still 92+ on the 91 tune so you would be correct. I was also told by them that you can run e85 on the 93 tune provided your car is flex fuel capable.
Cool, thanks for the info! so i'd just go with the 91 tune and run 92 octane then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mikebruns View Post
I won't argue who is better. To each his own. Injected will be releasing a Cam Lope feature soon though that'll make the car sound cammed and I'm looking forward to that. I chose them because I just wanted to be able to tune and be done and not data log for the best tune and what not. Nothing against Tom or SCT. Plus I used a promo code and my device was 400 shipping and all. So a tad cheaper.
Yeah that is definitely something i like about injected. I'm not to sure i want to do data logging either. plug and play is nice. :) Plus from what i have read the DCT tune they offer gives a noticeable improvment in the way it shifts and the power it puts down which are the main reasons i want a tune anyway. I hate the way the DCT shifts.

Bookmarks & Social Networks