How bad are these motors? - Page 3 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > SPI Performance (2000-2004)

SPI Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Split Port Injection engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-20-2014, 08:14 AM   #21
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

FF Reputation: 54 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by billino32 View Post
Ive never had in my life a miserable car that constantly needed work and rebuilds..it should be put to rest and laid out to pasture, never buying a ford again because of this.
Ford has since upgraded their vechicles since then.
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2014, 11:55 AM   #22
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 67 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
Ive never had in my life a miserable car that constantly needed work and rebuilds..it should be put to rest and laid out to pasture, never buying a ford again because of this.
Kind of an open statement there, no idea what problems you had - whether they were repaired right the first time - what maint. you consider normal.

High mileage issue with the SPI cyl. head is the only "unusual" issue with these I can think of.

S.R. #275
Old 04-20-2014, 12:07 PM   #23
Stanley Rockafella
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 118997
What I Drive: 07 Focus ZX4 SES

FF Reputation: 1 Stanley Rockafella Good Standing Member
FWIW after owning old Volvos' and BMW's, going domestic for our cheap runabout car was the best damn choice I ever made. These cars can be in top running shape for a PITTANCE of what you'd pay to keep a euro car on the road. And the purchase price is usually thousands less than what you'd pay for a comparably equipped Civic or Corolla.

Until I win the lottery or get my dream job that pays me more than $50k a year, I'm stickin with a Ford for my daily driver!
Old 04-20-2014, 01:00 PM   #24
onlycodered
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 149570
What I Drive: '09 Vista Blue SES coupe 5spd

FF Reputation: 4 onlycodered Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
All car manufacturers have problems. To completely boycott one because of a single issue that is almost guaranteed to happen after reaching the 100k mile point is a bit ridiculous. Should Ford have fixed this sooner to prevent newer models from experiencing the issue? Yes. But Toyota should have done the same for the unintended acceleration and GM should have done the same for their ignition issues.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:25 AM   #25
crazy_urn
Capt. Urn

Fan#: 1986
What I Drive: 77 F-250, 10 HHR, 08 Outlook

FF Reputation: 5 crazy_urn Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Sorry about your negative experience. But as others have said, you are over reacting at least a little bit. Every manufacturer has had some issue like this, so unless you never plan on driving again you may need to lower your standards.

Outside of the dreaded valve seat, the SPI is a bulletproof engine. If yours gave you this many problems, then either it was never properly maintained, or it was never fixed correctly.

You can hold Ford responsible for one valve seat drop, anything else is on you, the previous owner, or the mechanic
Old 04-22-2014, 11:19 AM   #26
Stanley Rockafella
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 118997
What I Drive: 07 Focus ZX4 SES

FF Reputation: 1 Stanley Rockafella Good Standing Member
The SPI is non-interferance. I did my first timing belt/water pump job on one of those! Went pretty well overall.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:19 AM   #27
komoto123
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 119636
What I Drive: 2004 Ford Focus lx (Sangria Red)

FF Reputation: 1 komoto123 Good Standing Member
230,000 miles and i still haven't had a drop. Dude don't worry about it. I think its all made up lol
Old 04-25-2014, 09:21 AM   #28
Mandroid
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 150610
What I Drive: 2003 light tundra metalic SE 5spd

FF Reputation: 1 Mandroid Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by komoto123 View Post
230,000 miles and i still haven't had a drop. Dude don't worry about it. I think its all made up lol
Damn lol
Old 04-25-2014, 12:09 PM   #29
komoto123
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_urn View Post
Sorry about your negative experience. But as others have said, you are over reacting at least a little bit. Every manufacturer has had some issue like this, so unless you never plan on driving again you may need to lower your standards.

Outside of the dreaded valve seat, the SPI is a bulletproof engine. If yours gave you this many problems, then either it was never properly maintained, or it was never fixed correctly.

You can hold Ford responsible for one valve seat drop, anything else is on you, the previous owner, or the mechanic
+1 I couldn't have put it better, but as for the valve seat thing i am still skeptical as to whether or not it is a manufacturing defect or a combination of other factors like a misaligned rocker/valve/poor maintenance/ect. ect.
I mean if it was a manufacturing defect i think ford would have issued a recall or at least acknowledged it. I think it is on him or his mechanic.
Old 04-25-2014, 12:19 PM   #30
komoto123
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_urn View Post
There is some disagreement about whether or not this happens to every SPI. But it certainly happens to way too many. But forums tend to collect people with problems looking for answers, so it is impossible to know on here what percentage actually fail.

The reman head to prevent the problem costs $250, plus seals and extras, you are probably looking at around $300 to prevent the problem. Repair afterwards, if one seat fails (which is most common) typically costs about $800. Basically you are taking a $500 gamble. That is not a small chunk of change, but it is less than some may assume.

I have chosen to take the gamble, but I am the only person who has ever driven my SPI since I bought it new in 2003, and it has been maintained meticulously.
Your not the only one. I bought mine new in Florida and had it ever since. I also keep it meticulously clean as well. I've had most of this car disassembled at some point in time just getting it clean. If i gave a list of the stuff i do that most other drivers don't do the list would be this long
.you get my point.

Last edited by komoto123; 04-25-2014 at 12:19 PM. Reason: f

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->