Is my car safe 2 drive? (Need quick help!) Clutch problem! - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > DURATEC Performance (2003-2007)

DURATEC Performance (2003-2007) The place to chat about any Duratec 23, 23E, and 20 engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-13-2005, 11:34 PM   #1
jdecar1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 13716
What I Drive: '05 Liquid Grey ZX4 ST (With ALL the options! :o)

FF Reputation: -1 jdecar1 Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Unhappy Is my car safe 2 drive? (Need quick help!) Clutch problem!

OK... Should I attempt to drive my car to the dealer (about 10 mi.) or should I look into having it towed?

On my way home this evening, after about an hour of trouble free driving (mostly highway) I get about 3 minutes from my house (the off-ramp) and I go to shift to a lower gear.

It sounded like something popped, or clunked when I pressed the clutch in, and it felt like the pedal suddenly somehow disconnected. I still have spring preasure on the pedal, but it feels disconnected from the rest of the tranny.

When I pressed the clutch in, I went to shift gears & every gear I tried to put it into, I got that awful gear-grinding sound. So I pulled off to the side of the road, & put my flashers on. Turned off my car & was able then to get it into 1st gear. With the clutch pressed in I was able to start the car & engage the clutch to drive home. Any further attempt to shift gears resulted in the same sequence of events- grinding gears, car off, into 1st, start car.

Once parked in my driveway I was able to go through the motions of shifting gears but it still felt difficult & wanted to grind. Clutch still felt disconnected.

Oh yea... I know that driving in 1st or 2nd for 10 mi. itself provides hazards & challenges. I am mostly worried about causing more damage to my car. This should be a warantee repair as far as I know.

For the record I have an '05 ZX4 ST. Any help sure would be appreciated- the quicker the better! Thanks all!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2005, 11:45 PM   #2
Lil PZEV
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 242
What I Drive: 2003 TwiBlue 2.3 ZX3

FF Reputation: 15 Lil PZEV Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
Do you have AAA? I think with basic service you got 4 free miles of towing and it's not a lot per mile after.

Oh! Or, when I bought mine in 03 it came with a short-term "Ford Roadside Service" package... let's see I bought my car July 28th and used the Service instead of my AAA September 25th, so it was at least 2 months. I didn't pay extra, just came as part of buying the car, there was a little info brochure I put in my owner's manual zip case. They had AAA-like services but including free towing to the nearest Ford dealer, or your preferred within something crazy like 100 miles.

I'm not sure if it's safe to drive the car, even staying in 1st or 2nd, but if you have one of those options I'd definitely use them!
Old 03-14-2005, 12:01 AM   #3
jdecar1
Focus Enthusiast

Yea, I was thinking of that... <Sigh> let me get the damned brochure...
Old 03-14-2005, 12:16 AM   #4
GAfocusZX3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 17881
What I Drive: 2006 white ZXW

FF Reputation: 1 GAfocusZX3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
I'd call the dealership and have them come take care of it. Something like this on an 05 almost has to be a factory boo boo. Sorry to hear about this man.

Current mods: None:(
Old 03-14-2005, 12:52 AM   #5
jdecar1
Focus Enthusiast

Arrrgh... I'm sitting here... 2am, and I want it fixed 5 minutes ago. It's gonna kill me to have my baby wait another 6hrs... they better set me up with a rental while it's in the shop.

Still... anyone have any idea what could have happened to my car? I'd like to know a few things to suspect ahead of time, as I'm inherrently distru$tful of dealerships. Y know... knowledge is power.

(ps... what the hell.... it sensors the word distru[:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]*l???)
Old 03-14-2005, 01:23 AM   #6
GAfocusZX3
Focus Addict

If they don't offer a rental car, I'd b[:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]h and complain and stuff like that

Old 03-14-2005, 01:32 AM   #7
jdecar1
Focus Enthusiast

ha... bitch & complain.... I can do that! Yea I called roadside assistance & they took my info. They said to call back an hour before I want my car picked up. So the dealership opens @ 7am... 30min for commute + 1hr toe dispatch... = 5:30 I'll call them back. I'll probably be at the door waiting for them to open. Best to make sure my car gets handled with all due haste.
Old 03-14-2005, 08:53 PM   #8
CopperFoci
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 15925
What I Drive: 2005 Liquid Grey 2.0l Duratec ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 CopperFoci Good Standing Member
what dealership are you going through? if its bob bell i might be able to help, otherwise im not sure about dealerships either

Gallery Son....
"I Hate to advocate drugs, alcohol or violence to anyone but they have always worked for me" - HST -RIP
Old 03-14-2005, 11:07 PM   #9
jdecar1
Focus Enthusiast

It's not Bob Bell... it's PLaza ford in Bel Air. But I tell ya, they frustrated me enough today that if I don't have some answered from them in the morning, I might just take my car back and get it to bob bell if you think it would be worth my while.

What would you recommend? It doesn't look like they're going to give me a rental car.
Old 03-14-2005, 11:18 PM   #10
GAfocusZX3
Focus Addict

I would raise hell man. I would stay at the dealership turning away their customers until I got the answers I wanted AND a rental car. But that's me.

Bookmarks & Social Networks