Progress so far - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus ST > Focus ST EcoBoost Performance (2013-Current)

Focus ST EcoBoost Performance (2013-Current) The place to chat about the 2.0L EcoBoost engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-04-2014, 12:26 AM   #1
'65 stang289
Focus Addict

Fan#: 48133
What I Drive: 2014 Focus ST2

FF Reputation: 9 '65 stang289 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Progress so far

Ordered and installed the Airaid intake setup with the blue Synthaflow dryflow air filter ($172 shipped). And I have to say that I couldn't be happier. Really opened up engine from a sound stand point making revealing the turbo and the BOV. I personally like the airaid design quite a lot for the price. The heat shield seals against the hood with weather stripping to keep the extra heat out (I have the heat shield from the factory still attached to the underneath of the hood) and the bottom half of the airbox is retained so the ducting that goes to the front of the air dam still funnels outside air to the filter. Pictures and video to follow tomorrow for those interested.

In the future, I will be installing the Cool-Flo upper inlet tube from FSWERKS to get rid of that stupid flattened tube that came from the factory.

Next up is the Roush 3" exhaust which is due on my front porch by Apr 7th. ($549 shipped). Again, a short review with pictures and video to follow after install to assist those in the market for an exhaust.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2014, 01:12 PM   #2
'65 stang289
Focus Addict

Intake with hood open for those interested.
YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Last edited by '65 stang289; 04-10-2014 at 03:01 PM.
Old 04-10-2014, 07:29 PM   #3
sailor
Crankshaft

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

Points 11,836, Level 71
Points: 11,836, Level: 71 Points: 11,836, Level: 71 Points: 11,836, Level: 71
Level Up 47% Completed
Level up: 47% Level up: 47% Level up: 47%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 79 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Thanks for posting that up, looking good!

One step at a time, be nice to hear from you when the exh. goes on.

S.R. #275
Old 04-10-2014, 07:45 PM   #4
'65 stang289
Focus Addict

Exhaust is in my garage and will be going on this weekend. Probably Sunday. So before and after videos will be up shortly after
Old 04-12-2014, 07:16 PM   #5
'65 stang289
Focus Addict

The Roush exhaust is on!!

Starting with the install. I did it on the garage floor instead of a lift. Obvious choice is that if you have a lift or access to one... USE IT. Would have been a hell of a lot easier. With that said, the install was pretty simple. The instructions say that you need to cut the factory exhaust in two places. I got away with cutting just in front of the rear axle between the two hangers located in the middle of the car. The install of the Roush kit is VERY simple. One piece at a time starting from the flange.

Materials... Roush uses T403 stainless for the 3 inch tubing which is also mandrel bent for maximun flow rates. As i explained a while ago in another post, with T403, you will see superficial oxidation which some will think is it rusting out. This is not the case. T403 stainless uses less nickel and chromium in the alloy. It is therfore stronger than T304, but it will show surface oxidation. The tips are T304 stainless. Therefore the opposite is true. The tips will not oxidize, but because of the higher nickel and chromium content, the alloy itself is softer.

As for the sound. Its has a very deep exhaust tone. And in the typical roush fashion, it burbles when you let off the gas. There is no drone at all at normal road speeds, however, there is a bit of one around 3000 RPM. It goes away rather quickly though. I havent driven the car at highway speeds yet, so I will advise further after my drive to work tonight whether or not there is a drone there.

Pics and video to follow
Old 04-12-2014, 07:31 PM   #6
'65 stang289
Focus Addict

Dont mind the dirt, it got a bath after I took the pictures

YouTube Video
Old 04-13-2014, 12:51 AM   #7
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

Points 9,867, Level 66
Points: 9,867, Level: 66 Points: 9,867, Level: 66 Points: 9,867, Level: 66
Level Up 55% Completed
Level up: 55% Level up: 55% Level up: 55%
Forum Activity 28%
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%
FF Reputation: 24 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by '65 stang289 View Post
The Roush exhaust is on!!

Starting with the install. I did it on the garage floor instead of a lift. Obvious choice is that if you have a lift or access to one... USE IT. Would have been a hell of a lot easier. With that said, the install was pretty simple. The instructions say that you need to cut the factory exhaust in two places. I got away with cutting just in front of the rear axle between the two hangers located in the middle of the car. The install of the Roush kit is VERY simple. One piece at a time starting from the flange.

Materials... Roush uses T403 stainless for the 3 inch tubing which is also mandrel bent for maximun flow rates. As i explained a while ago in another post, with T403, you will see superficial oxidation which some will think is it rusting out. This is not the case. T403 stainless uses less nickel and chromium in the alloy. It is therfore stronger than T304, but it will show surface oxidation. The tips are T304 stainless. Therefore the opposite is true. The tips will not oxidize, but because of the higher nickel and chromium content, the alloy itself is softer.

As for the sound. Its has a very deep exhaust tone. And in the typical roush fashion, it burbles when you let off the gas. There is no drone at all at normal road speeds, however, there is a bit of one around 3000 RPM. It goes away rather quickly though. I havent driven the car at highway speeds yet, so I will advise further after my drive to work tonight whether or not there is a drone there.

Pics and video to follow
T409, not 403, and in my personal experience the Roush CBE on the ST does drone like a son of a gun from idle and at every reasonable road speed. But what do you really expect from something with only one silencer and loud pipes?

It sounded like a terrible riced out honda on my car even though it was professionally installed.

It was terrible at normal speeds but it gets even worse at freeway speeds. It's loud and it drones like a mother. If you like it then more power to you, but I would have advised against their system.

YouTube Video

It shook the entire floor car on numerous occasions, but some people like free back massages.
Old 04-13-2014, 01:30 AM   #8
'65 stang289
Focus Addict

Typo... My fingers move faster than my brain sometimes.

Definitely does not sound like a ricer. Its a very deep tone with none of the raspy high pitched bees in a coffee can sound.

As for the drone, the only time I experience it is around 3000 RPM when and only when I let off of the throttle. Even the slightest amount of throttle instantly makes the drone go away.

I personally like the exhaust to be louder. I have found that with the kits that utilize a muffler and a resonator its almost as being right back at stock. I was not impressed with either the systems that utilized a muffler and resonator without an aftermarket downpipe. And I can not justify the cost of COBB or the Borla.

One thing I did notice is that mine does not sound anywhere near that loud inside the cabin. Not sure what the reasoning there is but it was definitely not the loud inside.
Old 04-13-2014, 01:49 AM   #9
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

Points 9,867, Level 66
Points: 9,867, Level: 66 Points: 9,867, Level: 66 Points: 9,867, Level: 66
Level Up 55% Completed
Level up: 55% Level up: 55% Level up: 55%
Forum Activity 28%
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%
FF Reputation: 24 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by '65 stang289 View Post
Typo... My fingers move faster than my brain sometimes.

Definitely does not sound like a ricer. Its a very deep tone with none of the raspy high pitched bees in a coffee can sound.

As for the drone, the only time I experience it is around 3000 RPM when and only when I let off of the throttle. Even the slightest amount of throttle instantly makes the drone go away.

I personally like the exhaust to be louder. I have found that with the kits that utilize a muffler and a resonator its almost as being right back at stock. I was not impressed with either the systems that utilized a muffler and resonator without an aftermarket downpipe. And I can not justify the cost of COBB or the Borla.

One thing I did notice is that mine does not sound anywhere near that loud inside the cabin. Not sure what the reasoning there is but it was definitely not the loud inside.

I'm glad you've had a better experience with your system.

I had wanted just a little bit more engine note under acceleration, but the booming drone at all revs from just above idle all the way to freeway speeds was awful, plus the way I was told point blank that there was first no drone, and then later when I demonstrated what the car was doing after they installed their own system they said oh that, yeah that's "normal drone".

It was so bad it drowned out the radio with the radio turned almost all the way up if it wasn't already all the way up in the cabin.

They might have installed it incorrectly or something, but for what ever reason it only ever sounded decent parked doing a static run through the rev range and it didn't resonate as much without load on it. As soon as I would drive it would start with the headache inducing frequencies that were worse than my old car that had no catalytic converter and a leak at the exhaust manifold on a 4AFE which was a little 1.6 L Toyota engine in a Geo Prizm.

I have a near zero if not zero tolerance policy now that I can actually afford the nice new car, for the exhaust not to drone or it's gone, so for now I've had to revert to a stock equivalent o.e. replacement system, which at least should just unbolt this time rather than needing to be cut off in the case I decide to try a different exhaust system like the Mountune or the Milltek double resonated, although I prefer the way it is now personally, but that's for my car. Others are of course free to do what they please with their own cars.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.