Grill Modification - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Second Generation > MK2 Focus

MK2 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the second generation 2008-2011 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-03-2014, 08:47 PM   #1
lacole725
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85112
What I Drive: 2010 Ingot Silver Focus SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 3 lacole725 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Grill Modification

So I have a chrome grille on my '10 SE. I want to do the badge removal and match it to the body color of the car. Can I paint or do anything to this grill, or does it have to be a black or unpainted one? Just not sure if it will stick the chrome looking finish. Also wondering if anyone has done a write up on how to do the badge modification. I found a couple posts saying how time consuming and frustrating it could be and I also found a user that did the mod to his gf's car and was considering doing them for other members, but that thread was from 2012. I'm waiting on a message back from him. In the meantime, any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2014, 09:06 PM   #2
Burkeboy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 141633
What I Drive: 2004 Red SVT

FF Reputation: 1 Burkeboy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
If you debadged the grill wouldn't that leave a big oval?

And why debadge I would wear the blue oval with pride, at least it ain't no bow tie
Old 04-03-2014, 09:18 PM   #3
lacole725
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkeboy View Post
If you debadged the grill wouldn't that leave a big oval?

And why debadge I would wear the blue oval with pride, at least it ain't no bow tie
No, you cut out the oval so it is just two solid bars across the grill. I just like the clean look. Some members have fiberglassed it, others have used bondo.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:17 PM   #4
Sniper Focus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 84221
What I Drive: '03 SVT EAP "Eurotrish"

FF Reputation: 20 Sniper Focus Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
I would want this if I had a MK2, looks so clean.

My idea was if you could cut the oval out and then take a second donor grill to plasticweld smooth sections to the other grill. Then smooth the cut lines with filler as opposed to it being made out of bondo or glass.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:22 PM   #5
lacole725
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper Focus View Post
I would want this if I had a MK2, looks so clean.

My idea was if you could cut the oval out and then take a second donor grill to plasticweld smooth sections to the other grill. Then smooth the cut lines with filler as opposed to it being made out of bondo or glass.
That is a good idea, but I don't know if it would be entirely cost effective. I do know someone with a plastic welder. My plan was to grind it down with a dremel as smooth as possible and bondo it and then paint.

Do you know anything about the chrome finish on the grille? Will it accept any type of work or can it be stripped or what? Not terribly knowledgeable with body work type stuff, the most I've done was filling rusted out fender arches on my first truck with fiberglass.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:55 PM   #6
Sniper Focus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 84221
What I Drive: '03 SVT EAP "Eurotrish"

FF Reputation: 20 Sniper Focus Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacole725 View Post
That is a good idea, but I don't know if it would be entirely cost effective. I do know someone with a plastic welder. My plan was to grind it down with a dremel as smooth as possible and bondo it and then paint.

Do you know anything about the chrome finish on the grille? Will it accept any type of work or can it be stripped or what? Not terribly knowledgeable with body work type stuff, the most I've done was filling rusted out fender arches on my first truck with fiberglass.
I don't know a ton about body work, but you can paint chrome plastic if you scratch it up with 400 grit (or so) and then primer. I painted my chrome lights and they're holding up great.

Harbor Freight has a plastic welder for $10 its basically an over powered soldering iron used to repair bumpers. For "small" projects like this you could use a soldering iron with a flat tip. There are hot-air plastic welders and I think that would be too much for a grill also.

In my case the local cheapo junkyard would charge no more than $20 for a grill and it's a quick shot down the highway. I know most people don't have this "privilege", but if you keep your eyes open you might find one for the right price.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:59 PM   #7
lacole725
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper Focus View Post
I don't know a ton about body work, but you can paint chrome plastic if you scratch it up with 400 grit (or so) and then primer. I painted my chrome lights and they're holding up great.

Harbor Freight has a plastic welder for $10 its basically an over powered soldering iron used to repair bumpers. For "small" projects like this you could use a soldering iron with a flat tip. There are hot-air plastic welders and I think that would be too much for a grill also.

In my case the local cheapo junkyard would charge no more than $20 for a grill and it's a quick shot down the highway. I know most people don't have this "privilege", but if you keep your eyes open you might find one for the right price.
I don't think the black grill is too expensive brand new to begin with and I could find a cheap one at the junk yard. I'll have to look at my grill and see what I can do.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:31 PM   #8
tuvok
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102442
What I Drive: 2010,Grey,SES

FF Reputation: 2 tuvok Good Standing Member
im looking for a cheep grill to Mod aswell , though im not thinking badge Delete , I wanna take a whole different approach , but I really don't want to mod the grill that's on my car now , id rather slap my modified grill on after it is completed. man I really need to make a trip to the bone yard !
Old 04-04-2014, 06:15 AM   #9
Burkeboy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 141633
What I Drive: 2004 Red SVT

FF Reputation: 1 Burkeboy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
There is a junkyard just about 20-30 min north of Oneida up in KY that would sell the grill (if they had it) for probably less then $5-10, and probably less. I went to pull-a-part and bought like $45 worth then went here and got the same stuff and more for maybe $20.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:58 AM   #10
crice8
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 84830
What I Drive: 2010 Sterling Gray Focus SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 9 crice8 Good Standing Member
The chrome grill is paintable. I sanded mine a bit, primed it, and painted it body colored (: I like the Oval being there though as I have auto bot overlays and my center caps are autobot and when my third brake light lights up it says "autobot" (:
Galatians 6:14

Bookmarks & Social Networks