2000 SE fuel tank pressure sensor - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-02-2014, 03:44 PM   #1
Bills86e
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 119322
What I Drive: 2000 green SE, 2007 Kappa Speedster

FF Reputation: 1 Bills86e Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2000 SE fuel tank pressure sensor

2000 focus SE 4dr
Location? I am getting a DTC P0452. Fuel pump seal is good, gas cap tight.
Where does the vacuum come from, so I can follow that to check for a pinhole ect?
Can any one explain this vapor recovery system?

Last edited by Bills86e; 04-02-2014 at 06:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2014, 11:57 PM   #2
zetecDon
Where am I?

Fan#: 62506
What I Drive: 02 ZX3, 02 MX-5

FF Reputation: 28 zetecDon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (45)
Moved to "General Technical Chat".
Old 04-03-2014, 09:03 PM   #3
BC_ZX3
DTC P0606

Fan#: 48751
What I Drive: 2001 Red ZX3 Turbo

FF Reputation: 86 BC_ZX3 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
P0452 is an electrical fault. Think dodgy wiring/loose or dirty connector, not vacuum or hole in line. FTP sensor is on the top of the fuel tank near the corner, iirc. It's a separate electrical connector.

P0452 - FTP Sensor Circuit Low Voltage Detected
The PCM monitors the EVAP control system FTP sensor input signal to the PCM. The test fails when the signal average drops below a minimum allowable calibrated parameter.
Possible causes:
Contamination internal to FTP sensor connector
FTP circuit shorted to GND or SIG RTN
Damaged FTP sensor
FTP V PID reading less than 0.22 volt with key ON and engine OFF or during any engine operating mode indicates a hard fault.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:01 AM   #4
Bills86e
Focus Enthusiast

The car recently had problems, fuel gauge only read to 1/3 and was coughing/bucking.
I made an access in the floor, opened the fuel pump ring and we found the fuel assembly
floating, not twisted into the tank bottom lower shoe. It had come loose. Put it back together but now getting P0452. I had only removed the battery negative cable, then loosened the tank ring, unplugged the wire connector, unplugged the fuel line. I put a dab of dielectrical grease on the wire plug connector noteing all wires appeared in postion in the coupler,that and fuel line were snapped on correctly. The tank was not dropped, so the FTPS was not disturbed or disconnected nor the charcoal canister or other lines, ect. Is it possibly that the fuel regulator may be culpret? What with maybe low flow? Wife needs to go to store. It is now idling- revs ok.

Last edited by Bills86e; 04-04-2014 at 04:02 PM.
Old 04-04-2014, 03:55 PM   #5
Bills86e
Focus Enthusiast

Today wife drove the car and near home it began re-acting up. I went under and at all connections, sensor, vacuum lines, canister. Found nothing. Decided to go back into tank and see if anything new, remove pump assy. First I removed air tube to TB, then disconnected maf plug, then battery, then fuel rail line. Just a slight gas pew. Air filter was clean. Removed floor access, fuel line, wire connector then tank ring, Removed fuel assy to find some particles of metal in tank bottom, so vaced that out. Took assembly apart and found inside the fuel sock was fully crudded,so I figured I found problem, that it was fuel starved. Pump motor ran good in homemade fuel circulator I made. Cleaned up the sock with carb cleaner then TB cleaner and blew til clean. Put everything back to gether, new problem. Odometer has dashes, NO start, dash will light. Code reader says DATA LINK ERROR and will not read, just says turn off key-wait 10 sec and retry. HELP! It is in no crank zone. odometer is ---------
Old 04-05-2014, 11:20 AM   #6
BC_ZX3
DTC P0606

Fan#: 48751
What I Drive: 2001 Red ZX3 Turbo

FF Reputation: 86 BC_ZX3 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Odometer "----" is sometimes one of the wires that connects to the battery post is disconnected/broken/intermittent. If you've pulled the terminals off the battery posts, check that you haven't strained or broken one of the smaller wires. Also check for possible PCM ("engine management" in the fuse box diagram) blown fuse.
Old 04-05-2014, 12:44 PM   #7
Bills86e
Focus Enthusiast

I have just fixed both problems.

1. Fuel pump motor ran, but did not pump, just dribble. Missed that first & 2nd time.

2. The battery to body cable was a bad clean/grease at the fender bolt. Had to lift up the air filter box to remove the bolt, wire brush fender & strap, wire wheel the bolt, then
dielectrical grease everything. When I noticed a light electrical snap when I put the battery cable back on the battery, I realized the PCM is grounding, and sure enough, no dashed-----hash marks in odometer when Key inserted, mileage now showing, and she cranked right up. Took her up the road and great power & now very high RPM's.
Old 04-05-2014, 08:52 PM   #8
Bills86e
Focus Enthusiast

After driving 6 or 7 miles, engine started sputtering, MIL came on, barely made it home.
DTC P0452 is back. I think I smelled plastic (burning) but thankfully no smoke or flame.
Any thoughts on this EVAC problem ? The car drives like its in Limp Mode!
Could a clogged fuel filter cause this? I crawled under there and everything looks old.
Tank & adjacent muffler has a tin heat shield covering. Is there a metal tank strap under that.

Last edited by Bills86e; 04-06-2014 at 08:27 AM.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:39 PM   #9
Bills86e
Focus Enthusiast

At the u-pull-it yard I found a tank some body dropped to grab the fuel module. I gave the FTPS a left 1/4 turn and it came right out, unplugged it and took a measurement to
cut an acces hole in my floor. Did that, and replaced the sensor. CEL-mil erased, it did not come back!
Now after driving a few miles, all of a sudden the car stumbles again, like limp mode. I
can turn ignition off, wait 30 seconds and the car returns to normal, but soon it does the repeat. No cel light now, so I am at difficulty diagnoseing a fix. I read other people haveing same problem, but no one is posting the fix. The car just is dying.
Old 04-09-2014, 04:51 AM   #10
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

FF Reputation: 23 amc49 Great Standing Member
I would be looking very close at the access hole you made to get to pump, possible you cut or damaged some harness doing that.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->