Possible front brake issue........? - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis

Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis The place to go for answers on brakes, suspension, camber, alignment and more.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-12-2014, 08:28 AM   #11
focusETSzx4
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 120097
What I Drive: 2005 zx4 & 2012 se

FF Reputation: 1 focusETSzx4 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardliquid01 View Post
Does the knock continue in reverse almost like its rotational? Or while reversing can you induce the noise with every press of the brakes?

If so I'm betting you have drum rear brakes and the star adjuster in the drums is frozen. The adjustment rod is skipping over the start adjuster causing a clicking/ clunking noise.

But if you're 100% percent certain it's coming from the front, when you did the front brakes did you verify all the slide pins moved freely?
Well, excuse me for not knowing much about this stuff as I am just learning. This was my first time going my brakes so could you help me locate the guide pins?

I'm 100% sure that the noise is coming from the driver side front. My drum brakes have been serviced already with new shoes, drums, and hardware. Everything in the back seems to be in good working order.

The "thump" I hear coming from the front only happens when I'm backing out, and applying the brake. I investigated both sides and can't find the culprit it's really annoying lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2014, 08:34 AM   #12
focusETSzx4
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by focusETSzx4 View Post
Well, excuse me for not knowing much about this stuff as I am just learning. This was my first time going my brakes so could you help me locate the guide pins?

I'm 100% sure that the noise is coming from the driver side front. My drum brakes have been serviced already with new shoes, drums, and hardware. Everything in the back seems to be in good working order.

The "thump" I hear coming from the front only happens when I'm backing out, and applying the brake. I investigated both sides and can't find the culprit it's really annoying lol
And no it's not rotational. Like I said, it's a quick noise, almost sounds as if the front pads are smacking the rotors harder than they should if that makes sense.

I'm not as concerned about that noise as I am the thumping I hear when I apply the brakes going 5 mph or less
Old 04-13-2014, 06:59 PM   #13
boardliquid01
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114884
What I Drive: 2003 Silver Ford Focus SVT EAP

FF Reputation: 1 boardliquid01 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
The guide pins are the pins that the caliper bolts too. It allows the caliper to move in accordance with the wear on the pads.

You could also have a bad lower control arm bushing. Can you duplicate the noise any other way like going slow over a speed bump. Or can you make it happen after going forward then reverse again?
Old 04-13-2014, 07:25 PM   #14
focusETSzx4
Focus Enthusiast

Well I think I addressed my issue. The thumping I'm hearing is from a twisted brake line. I guess when I was working on the brakes I twisted the caliper around. Luckily the line wasn't kinked
Old 04-13-2014, 07:32 PM   #15
boardliquid01
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114884
What I Drive: 2003 Silver Ford Focus SVT EAP

FF Reputation: 1 boardliquid01 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Nice find.
Old 04-26-2014, 12:45 PM   #16
focusETSzx4
Focus Enthusiast

BUMP!!!!

hey guys. Just wanted to update you guys on my braking situation. I found out the thumping I was hearing was due to a loose timing belt cover. It was dropped about 4 to 5 inches so I eliminated that problem.

I'm still dealing with my clicking/smacking noise coming when I hit my brakes in reverse. I've pulled everything apart and I'm still puzzled
Old 04-26-2014, 05:28 PM   #17
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 64 sailor Excellent Standing Member
How's the pad to holder clearance?

Pads aren't kept from rotating by the caliper, it's the holder they slide into with a floating caliper design (fixed caliper with pistons on both sides is different).

If they fit loosely, they can click against the front when you start forward & against the rear when reversing. Would usually sit against the front, so noise would be more likely when you back up.

Throwin' out oddball things to look at when nothing obvious jumps out at you.

Cheers

S.R. #275
Old 04-26-2014, 08:58 PM   #18
focusETSzx4
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
How's the pad to holder clearance?

Pads aren't kept from rotating by the caliper, it's the holder they slide into with a floating caliper design (fixed caliper with pistons on both sides is different).

If they fit loosely, they can click against the front when you start forward & against the rear when reversing. Would usually sit against the front, so noise would be more likely when you back up.

Throwin' out oddball things to look at when nothing obvious jumps out at you.

Cheers
Thanks for your response sailor. I've had this thing apart on numerous occasions and I'm stumped. You know when I changed my pads I noticed that the pad that doesn't have the clips... (Outside I'm guessing) sits loosely between the caliper bracket and rotor. Could that maybe have something to do with the smacking I'm hearing?
Old 04-26-2014, 10:07 PM   #19
focusETSzx4
Focus Enthusiast

I've also been informed that this could also be a control arm bushing issue... Any leads on this?
Old 04-26-2014, 11:47 PM   #20
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 64 sailor Excellent Standing Member
If your control arm bushings were shot enough to make noise, just staying on the road would be enough of an issue the noise would be the least of the worries. Rubber bushes are pretty thick, metal on metal would be a LOT of wobble.

Not sure what kind of anti-rattle clips are std. on your brakes, can't see a set from here and the '04's are different. Clips missing that SHOULD be there can certainly cause the rattle they're supposed to prevent.

I was describing pads that would move back & forth when inserted in the holder - a bad fit. Not common, but it happens. Like the set of pads i got not long ago for a job that were cut at an angle, instead of parallel to the backer plates. those wouldn't have worked for bleep.

S.R. #275

Bookmarks & Social Networks