My SCT SF3 Power Flash Experience - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Focus Tuning Chat

Focus Tuning Chat Discuss performance tuning options for your Ford Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-31-2014, 02:14 PM   #1
ztecpower
Focus Addict

Fan#: 20083
What I Drive: 2002 Infra-red Ford Focus ZTS-S2

Points 16,159, Level 81
Points: 16,159, Level: 81 Points: 16,159, Level: 81 Points: 16,159, Level: 81
Level Up 62% Completed
Level up: 62% Level up: 62% Level up: 62%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 5 ztecpower Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Thumbs up My SCT SF3 Power Flash Experience

Hey All!

Just wanted to review the SCT SF3 on my 2002 Focus Zetec ATX, the car has an intake system and a Magnaflow exhaust on it so those are the only modifications besides the tune.

I was quite impressed with the update software in this package, the SF3 has data logging capability and the ability to load custom tunes. Before I plugged it in to the Focus I downloaded the update software and checked the device to see that it had the most recent firmware update, of course it did so I continued on.

For now I am running the "Canned Tune" from SCT and I have to say the car runs worlds better with the tune, I'd recommend this to anyone that has a Focus and wants to improve the drivability of the car.

Tuning options;

I'm running California crappy 91 octane on this tune , there is an option for 93 for the lucky states that get it.

Idle Adjustment;
From the factory Idle is set to be at the 700-750 RPM range, I raised my Idle to 804 rpm and it seems much smoother and happier there.

Timing Adjustments;
Timing from 0-2000 RPM was left at 0 deg for my car (No advance over stock)
from 2000-4000 I gave it 2 deg. of advance and at 4000-7000 I gave it 1 deg. of advance. This seemed to smooth out the power band of the car a ton. NOTE: These settings worked for MY vehicle, please do not use them.

Fuel Enrichment / Lean - I set mine to 6% leaner overall and the car seemed to like it, the car does have 188K on it so I think it may be running a little rich by default due to old Head temp, coolant temp and oxygen sensors which I plan on replacing here in the next few months just because they are original. I'm expecting to change this setting after those sensors are replaced to around 2% lean. NOTE: These settings worked for MY vehicle, please do not use them.

Transmission adjustments (It's Worth it just for this capability)
I played with this for about an hour and what worked for my car is 25% on the 1-2 shift, 20% on the 2-3 shift and 20% on the 3-4 shift.

As far as the shift points were concerned I changed them a little bit the 1-2 shift was -4 mph sooner which made the car shift at around 5700 RPM (WOT) on the 1-2 shift The stock one shifted at 6,000 rpm and I felt that it was too high out of the power band where the car started to lose steam. the 2-3 shift was +2 mph which allowed a better mid-range pull over stock and the 3-4 shift was changed to -2 mph.

Cooling Fan Activation;

The Low speed I have on at 190 deg and the High speed on at 212 deg. This gives me a cruising temp of about 195deg. I plan on getting the 180 Deg. thermostat and changing it to Low 180 deg. and High at 200 deg. Stock my car was always above 200 deg. normal so this is a welcome change even though the fans are on a little bit more.

This was a GREAT addition to the car, I plan on getting a "Canned" FSWERKS tune or maybe Tom's Tune. I haven't decided yet so I'll keep looking around on the forums for good / bad experiences and decide then, if you have any suggestions please let me know!

Troy.

Last edited by ztecpower; 03-31-2014 at 05:09 PM. Reason: WARNING
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2014, 02:52 PM   #2
zetecDon
Where am I?

Fan#: 62506
What I Drive: 02 ZX3, 02 MX-5

Points 12,821, Level 73
Points: 12,821, Level: 73 Points: 12,821, Level: 73 Points: 12,821, Level: 73
Level Up 93% Completed
Level up: 93% Level up: 93% Level up: 93%
Forum Activity 20%
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%
FF Reputation: 28 zetecDon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (45)
Moved to "Focus Tuning Chat".
Old 03-31-2014, 02:57 PM   #3
ztecpower
Focus Addict

Points 16,159, Level 81
Level Up 62% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetecDon View Post
Moved to "Focus Tuning Chat".
Thanks! I should know better

Troy.
Old 03-31-2014, 04:26 PM   #4
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

Points 51,292, Level 100
Points: 51,292, Level: 100 Points: 51,292, Level: 100 Points: 51,292, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 24%
Activity: 24% Activity: 24% Activity: 24%
FF Reputation: 154 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
Your making a HUGH mistake adding timing and leaning out your car with out knowing what your engine needs

6% leaner at WOT and I 100% guarantee you a blown engine at some point , you need to let a tuner do these changes for you that knows what he is doing

People PLEASE dont follow the changes he made to the engine this SHOULD NOT be done with out knowing if and how it is going to effect the engine

I am not trying to bust your chops here but tuning needs to be done by some one that knows how to adjust these things

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 03-31-2014, 05:01 PM   #5
ztecpower
Focus Addict

Points 16,159, Level 81
Level Up 62% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1turbofocus View Post
Your making a HUGH mistake adding timing and leaning out your car with out knowing what your engine needs

6% leaner at WOT and I 100% guarantee you a blown engine at some point , you need to let a tuner do these changes for you that knows what he is doing

People PLEASE dont follow the changes he made to the engine this SHOULD NOT be done with out knowing if and how it is going to effect the engine

I am not trying to bust your chops here but tuning needs to be done by some one that knows how to adjust these things

Tom
While I respect you Tom these are MY settings that worked on MY car, there is no detonation, no pinging and the car runs great. What Tom is saying is true, DO NOT USE MY SETTINGS. I've posted them just to say what worked for ME, I'm confident that MY settings are just fine. I'm sure that you've read the information about my car running on the rich side to begin with but that's just collected from my fuel trims it's not using a wideband to determine it.

The fact is when I advanced the timing and went 2% rich the car bogged WAY down wouldn't accelerate, then I pulled timing which made the issue worse. I then advanced the timing all the way (2 deg) which made it a little better but I was still bogging, so I decided to start pulling fuel until the car felt right to me.

I don't claim to be an expert Tom, you are and I understand that as you have hundreds of dyno tune results. However saying you don't mean to "Bust my chops"? c'mon man you could have PM'ed me or something - Thanks for helping me make my decision I guess?

Again I'll state for everyone here to know, these are MY settings - DO NOT USE THEM, IF YOU DO IT'S AT YOUR OWN RISK!!.

This thread was primarily here to document my experience with the SCT SF3, thanks.

Troy.
Old 03-31-2014, 06:08 PM   #6
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Points 51,292, Level 100
Points: 51,292, Level: 100 Points: 51,292, Level: 100 Points: 51,292, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 24%
FF Reputation: 154 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Yes could of sent you a PM but wanted others to see that it is a mistake to assume because you have adjustability on fuel and timing doesnt mean you should do it and not to use your settings as some would of

Tuning should be left to tuners , tuners should know the trims ( short turm fuel trim ) are for CLOSED LOOP ONLY ( idle and cruise / part throttle ) and have nothing to do with wide open throttle ( open loop fuel ) you could be rich at idle and cruise but very lean at opel loop / wide open throttle 6% is a LOT of fuel at WOT

Timing , you wont hear any knock but can do damage to the engine and not hear it , we can go over that and why if you like

As for who is doing your tuning thats your call and even if I was your tuner I would of posted this anyway , dont let this keep you from the best tune you can buy

Tom

Customer Support

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 03-31-2014, 06:24 PM   #7
ztecpower
Focus Addict

Points 16,159, Level 81
Level Up 62% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Well hopefully my warnings will suffice, I understand the difference between ST/LT Fuel trims and when they are applicable which is why I stated that they were not obtained through a wideband O2.

However the car didn't like it until I was 6% lean at WOT, can you please explain not hearing detonation / ping and it causing damage? I'm interested in learning how that's possible.

Also if you could tell me how your tune differs from others mentioned, as I am trying to make a decision. Keep in mind the car isn't F/I, Nitrous or anything major. Just the basic Intake Exhaust and tune, I'll get an SVT header soon and maybe cams down the line.

Troy.
Old 03-31-2014, 06:40 PM   #8
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Points 51,292, Level 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 24%
STFT/LTFT are the same thing CLOSED LOOP LT is just over a longer time but nothing to do with wide open throttle OPEN LOOP fueling , these are 2 totally different fuel tables

I have seen 7 deg to much timing and never hear as sound of pinging/detonation

My tune is different because I have been doing nothing but custom tune from the start in 2000 , I dont use and wont sell canned tunes , I dont believe in the idea one tune fits all driving styles , likes and engines
I do custom tuning by datalogging and you get free NA tune updates as you add more NA mods and I can remote in and set up your datalog like for you and do the first datalog like I was sitting in the car with you

If you bought the xcal new and had bought it from me for 399.00 and 20.00 for shipping you would of also got a free custom tune and free tune updates

No other Focus tuner anywhere offers this level of tuning and has the experience tuning the Focus I have
Again I didnt post here to make you look bad or start anything but so others would know not to do it the adjust and your settings

All my contact info is below if you would like to talk about it

Tom

Customer Support

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 03-31-2014, 06:54 PM   #9
ztecpower
Focus Addict

Points 16,159, Level 81
Level Up 62% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1turbofocus View Post
STFT/LTFT are the same thing CLOSED LOOP LT is just over a longer time but nothing to do with wide open throttle OPEN LOOP fueling , these are 2 totally different fuel tables

And again I stated I knew what they were, are you stating this to let everyone else know or is this directed at me?

I have seen 7 deg to much timing and never hear as sound of pinging/detonation .

We're talking 1 and 2 deg timing bumps here not huge amounts of timing being added or pulled. There's no point in taking this any further, and I understand that you have a business to run and protect for which I don't hold against you but you haven't even suggested any settings to correct my apparently incorrect tune which you've inferred by your posts.

And how exactly can that negatively effect the car if it isn't pinging / detonating? which to my knowledge is the ONLY thing that can cause engine failure when it comes to fuel / timing maps.

My tune is different because I have been doing nothing but custom tune from the start in 2000 , I dont use and wont sell canned tunes , I dont believe in the idea one tune fits all driving styles , likes and engines
I do custom tuning by datalogging and you get free NA tune updates as you add more NA mods and I can remote in and set up your datalog like for you and do the first datalog like I was sitting in the car with you

If you bought the xcal new and had bought it from me for 399.00 and 20.00 for shipping you would of also got a free custom tune and free tune updates

I feel so bad for not buying one from you now... UGH.

No other Focus tuner anywhere offers this level of tuning and has the experience tuning the Focus I have

Again I didnt post here to make you look bad or start anything but so others would know not to do it the adjust and your settings

All my contact info is below if you would like to talk about it

Thank you for your time, and your well informed opinion

Tom
See my responses above in bold.

Troy.
Old 03-31-2014, 07:02 PM   #10
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Points 51,292, Level 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 24%
Again you CAN have pinging and detonation and not hear it , I have seen all 4 of the Zetec rods brake and come through the block and the guy never did hear anything till it stopped running

I cannot suggest correct setting till a datalog is done and see what needs to be changed this is exactly why I posted in here as people ask all the time what do I set my timing / fuel to I can adjust it my self , YOU CANT untill you know what your engine needs
You will never be able to properly set your wot/open loop fuel till you get a wide band o2 sensor

I will be glad to take over your laptop and set up a proper datalog list and help you but there are a LOT of things other then that timing and that fuel that need to be changed in a tune any tuner will tell you that

Tom

Customer Support

Elder 1turbofocus

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.