Do you have a 2014 Focus Ti? Tell me your best/worst - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-29-2014, 08:54 PM   #1
mad_hatter_md01
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 118358
What I Drive: 2001 Blue Ford Focus ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 mad_hatter_md01 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Do you have a 2014 Focus Ti? Tell me your best/worst

I'm in the market for a new car and finding personalized reviews is hard. I figured I would ask on here since you guys were a great help when I needed fixing up on my old ford.

I test drove the Focus SE and Ti and found I liked the Ti better. What are your guys opinions on this model? How has it gone 20-30K miles down the road? Have there been any reoccurring problems to look out for?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2014, 09:07 PM   #2
1slofofo
Adam

Fan#: 92422
What I Drive: Mk3

FF Reputation: 6 1slofofo Good Standing Member
I have an SE, but most of it's the same. DCT Transmission can have its good and bad days. Some days you're pushing it easily past 3k rpm for no reason just to get going from a stop and it struggles. Other days you can get decent power letting it granny shift just barely above 2k.

But on the days they call turbo weather (mid 60s), the car is just a blast and super responsive. But I do appreciate it's beautifully ergonomically designed and easy to adjust for comfort. All the positives outweigh the bads for me.

Turn traction control off, and put it in sport mode (or downhill for SE owners) and enjoy the drive. Just be realistic. It's meant to be first and foremost a grocery getter with emphasis on fuel economy. Sport suspension/handling/etc. is just a benefit. Once you realize that you see what the hype is all about.
Old 06-30-2014, 08:16 AM   #3
cruisencode
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 146026
What I Drive: 2014 Black Titanium Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 cruisencode Good Standing Member
I've got just under 4k miles on mine and haven't had any problems. Do you have any specific questions?
Old 06-30-2014, 04:33 PM   #4
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

FF Reputation: 11 kam327 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slofofo View Post
I have an SE, but most of it's the same. DCT Transmission can have its good and bad days. Some days you're pushing it easily past 3k rpm for no reason just to get going from a stop and it struggles. Other days you can get decent power letting it granny shift just barely above 2k.
Do you have a '14? Judging by your join date probably not.

I believe that '12s or early '13s that have been worked on (clutches replaced, software repeatedly updated, etc.) will not perform as well as a '14 with all the updates straight from the factory. '12 and '13 owners should not comment here.

My '14 performs very well. Better than my '12 did with the clutches replaced and multiple software updates.

My main complaint is the uneven power delivery in 1st and 2nd. It doesn't shudder, but it accelerates unevenly from a stop. Other than that, I can accelerate just fine while keeping revs under 2750 or so. It upshifts earlier than I'd like but most cars I've driven from the past few model years do that for fuel economy purposes. It downshifts readily, albeit a bit slower than a DCT should be able to do on paper.
Old 06-30-2014, 04:56 PM   #5
1slofofo
Adam

Fan#: 92422
What I Drive: Mk3

FF Reputation: 6 1slofofo Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by kam327 View Post
Do you have a '14? Judging by your join date probably not.

I believe that '12s or early '13s that have been worked on (clutches replaced, software repeatedly updated, etc.) will not perform as well as a '14 with all the updates straight from the factory. '12 and '13 owners should not comment here.

My '14 performs very well. Better than my '12 did with the clutches replaced and multiple software updates.

My main complaint is the uneven power delivery in 1st and 2nd. It doesn't shudder, but it accelerates unevenly from a stop. Other than that, I can accelerate just fine while keeping revs under 2750 or so. It upshifts earlier than I'd like but most cars I've driven from the past few model years do that for fuel economy purposes. It downshifts readily, albeit a bit slower than a DCT should be able to do on paper.

It's a '12 with TSB 123B7. But otherwise it's pretty close to your description, it just has an awkward lag sometimes, but usually 3rd/4th gear tend to be the sweet spots.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:42 AM   #6
valmundo
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89368
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE & 2013 ST2

FF Reputation: 9 valmundo Good Standing Member
If you get an SE, I would recommend getting one with the Sports Package. It makes a difference.

However, having driven both an SE and a Ti, I would say that the TI's stiffer suspension and extra amenities (push button start, Myford Touch, etc), gives the car a more "upscale" feel. Mind you, you will pay for the extras, but it may be worth it if you plan on keeping the car for a long time.

That being said, I am quickly approaching three years since we purchased our SE Sport Hatch and it is really holding up well. Its a cool car and the DCT, at least for us, has been great. I really like its driving characteristics but it does have its flaws. The one flaw for me personally is that the tranny is lethargic when trying to downshift. You can literally hit the gas and you will notice a considerable lag time before the car goes into overdrive (probably 1 or 2 seconds, but its noticeable). Given the fact that this is an econo car, I really don't care, however.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:48 PM   #7
2014Focus
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 166106
What I Drive: 2014

FF Reputation: 1 2014Focus Good Standing Member
I have a 2014 ti 4000 miles. No complaints. I did adjust to the dct within a week.

The ride at hwy speed is quiet and comfortable I drive up to 300 miles a day.

Mpg is around 40. I didn't like e85. Seems costs must come down a lot to offset 27 mpg

Stereo works well but Sirius drops signal a lot.
Old 07-02-2014, 08:10 PM   #8
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

FF Reputation: 11 kam327 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slofofo View Post
It's a '12 with TSB 123B7. But otherwise it's pretty close to your description, it just has an awkward lag sometimes, but usually 3rd/4th gear tend to be the sweet spots.
So did the Cruze I rented a couple of weeks ago. So does my Dodge Durango. What's your point? It's a result of widespread tranny programming to improve CAFE ratings.
Old Yesterday, 08:00 PM   #9
pintoman
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 111686
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus Ti Ingot Sil Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 pintoman Good Standing Member
Okay, I have a 2013 Ti, no tranny problems with 5600 miles.....it has 18" w/ handling and every option offered.....I like the car and you will too ! You can work 'em down...find out what rebates are offered.....someone on FF got $3500 in rebates....I got mine for $21,900 ($2500 in rebates) before tax and stuff....good luck!

Bookmarks & Social Networks