Fusion or Escape 6spd auto a possible replacement for the DCT? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-25-2014, 10:16 PM   #1
VonKaiser
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 26749
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus SE sedan

FF Reputation: 1 VonKaiser Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Fusion or Escape 6spd auto a possible replacement for the DCT?

So after a little over a year's angry and disappointed ownership I've come to the conclusion that either I lose $5,000+ on depreciation when I trade it in or possibly look at swapping out the DCT for a traditional automatic. So this is my question. Has anyone swapped out the DCT for the Fusion or Escape 6spd auto? I'd even rather take an old 4spd auto over this DCT junk. I've googled and searched here and came up empty so far. Any information is greatly appreciated.

So whether I spend $ on swapping the DCT or absorbing the $ on trade-in they are both on the table.

I do not want a manual transmission for my daily driver so let's not have that in the discussion please. :)

--------------------

[Rant]
I'm not happy with Ford's customer service, warranty, or even my local dealer at this point--and I'm even related to one of the general managers. My wife and I are contemplating selling both of our Ford vehicles and buying another brand altogether and never looking back. We've both had some quality issues with our new Ford vehicles and I'm hugely disappointed. Too bad because I like the way my Focus looks inside and out--I just hate the transmission, Sync and lack of 0-30 acceleration.
[/Rant]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2014, 10:42 PM   #2
Jburks
Focus Addict

Fan#: 145009
What I Drive: 2014 Ford Focus Hatchback SE RR DCT

FF Reputation: 1 Jburks Good Standing Member
I have not done it yet personaly but have you tried just getting a tune for it. I have read that both the SCT and Injected tune's both dramaticaly change the way the DCT drives and they are only $400. Just a thought. might be worth trying before you drop 5 grand. Its definitely the next thing on my list of things to do to my Focus.
Build thread-http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=382642
Old 03-25-2014, 11:05 PM   #3
VonKaiser
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jburks View Post
I have not done it yet personaly but have you tried just getting a tune for it. I have read that both the SCT and Injected tune's both dramaticaly change the way the DCT drives and they are only $400. Just a thought. might be worth trying before you drop 5 grand. Its definitely the next thing on my list of things to do to my Focus.
Thank you for the reply. I'm really apprehensive about doing the tune simply because if it doesn't completely resolve the DCT shifting, shuttering and sudden acceleration loss then I would have spent $400 and not solved anything. Last time I was in the tuning thread I didn't see any posts talking about how the tune solving common DCT issues. I'll check again...

The DCT behavior is unsafe and a safety hazard for the wife and I currently. We live off of a major motorway with a high speed limit and no "on ramp", literally you turn off the neighborhood street and you're in traffic. I've already been rear-ended once (thankfully it was only a tap) and would not like to have it be worse. I cannot trust going right on red which pisses the people off in the neighborhood... LOL...
Old 03-25-2014, 11:39 PM   #4
Jburks
Focus Addict

Fan#: 145009
What I Drive: 2014 Ford Focus Hatchback SE RR DCT

FF Reputation: 1 Jburks Good Standing Member
Well check it out i've read a bunch from people on here saying that the tune helped with the DCT big time. Dyn085 has a youtube video you can watch that show's him accelerating and he has the injected tune i believe with DCT and it definitely gives it more acceleration. there is plenty of info on it here just got to do a little reading. Good luck man, hope it all works out for you.
Build thread-http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=382642
Old 03-26-2014, 11:14 AM   #5
bluehatch14
Focus Addict

Fan#: 111245
What I Drive: 2012 blue se hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 bluehatch14 Good Standing Member
Personally, I would just do the trade in. The whole tranny swap just seems like too much of a pain. Especially since you have already had a bad time with the car for so long.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:51 AM   #6
darkangelism
Sonic Crew #04

Fan#: 85425
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 9 darkangelism Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluehatch14 View Post
Personally, I would just do the trade in. The whole tranny swap just seems like too much of a pain. Especially since you have already had a bad time with the car for so long.
not to mention no dealer will want the car after it is done for a trade in later. It would effectively destroy the trade in/resale value. So if he does it, it doesnt work, or works poorly, all the money spent on the conversion and the full value of the car is gone.
Sonic Crew #04
Steeda SRI/Newmission | Steeda RSB | SMC Replica ST Wing | SMC Aluminum Oil cap | Injected Tune | 2.5" custom exhaust
Old 03-26-2014, 12:24 PM   #7
bluehatch14
Focus Addict

Fan#: 111245
What I Drive: 2012 blue se hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 bluehatch14 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkangelism View Post
not to mention no dealer will want the car after it is done for a trade in later. It would effectively destroy the trade in/resale value. So if he does it, it doesnt work, or works poorly, all the money spent on the conversion and the full value of the car is gone.
This^ lose a little bit now or lose a lot later.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:49 PM   #8
VonKaiser
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkangelism View Post
You make a very good point I hadn't considered. If the new transmission doesn't cooperate or just changes the car's drivability I'd be out a larger sum of cash.

I guess now I'm leaning towards taking that $5,000+ hit and getting rid of the car.
Old 03-26-2014, 02:00 PM   #9
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by VonKaiser View Post
So after a little over a year's angry and disappointed ownership I've come to the conclusion that either I lose $5,000+ on depreciation when I trade it in or possibly look at swapping out the DCT for a traditional automatic. So this is my question. Has anyone swapped out the DCT for the Fusion or Escape 6spd auto? I'd even rather take an old 4spd auto over this DCT junk. I've googled and searched here and came up empty so far. Any information is greatly appreciated.
Hey VonKaiser,

This certainly isn't the experience I want for you. I'd like to connect you with your Regional CSM. Please send me a PM with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and preferred servicing dealership.

Todd

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 03-26-2014, 04:20 PM   #10
VonKaiser
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordService View Post
Hey VonKaiser,

This certainly isn't the experience I want for you. I'd like to connect you with your Regional CSM. Please send me a PM with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and preferred servicing dealership.

Todd
Thanks for the response Todd but I'd been there and done that--twice I think. The last regional CSM I dealt with wasn't very "customer service" oriented and I would prefer to not deal with her again. Last time I dealt with "my" regional CSM I was given a document about DCT behavior and told everything we are experiencing was normal. Funny, the serious problems that concern me aren't on that document.

Last time going this route I was supposed to take my car to the "shop foreman" so he can reproduce the problem but he is only available during the week and I cannot leave my car for any period of time. I need it for work and I doubt I'd get a loaner for the length of time it will take them to finally reproduce the issue. At this time I just don't trust Ford will be able to fix this issue since they are reluctant to admit that the DCT is a problem. I was able to record a short iphone video of one of the issues but it only shows the RPMs and engine note jumping around--this wouldn't be enough to get anywhere me thinks.

Hard to believe in ~14,000 miles I've already had the Sync module in the dash replaced, brake lines + full rotors/pads/shoes replaced, and several TSB's completed. Good thing these were under warranty.

Bookmarks & Social Networks