Headlight Bulb Destroyer Focus - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Focus

MK1 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the first generation 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-08-2005, 01:45 PM   #1
walmart
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 20026
What I Drive: 02 grey zx5 mtx75 advtrc

FF Reputation: 1 walmart Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Unhappy Headlight Bulb Destroyer Focus

I was running PIAA Super Plasma GT-X bulbs in my headlights for about one year when one burned out. I replaced it with a Sylvania Xtravision bulb. Then a couple weeks later, the other PIAA burned out. I replaced it with a Sylvania Silverstar. A couple months later, the Silverstar burned out. I replaced that with a regular Sylvania bulb (yesterday).

I have been careful not to touch the bulb with bare hands, and all the times, only the low beam filament breaks. High beams still work.

A few months earlier, the dealer found out that both license plate bulbs had burned out. They had only replaced them a month earlier. A year earlier, the license plate bulbs also burned out, although no one knows how long they were burned out for.

One and a half years earlier, one of the grille turn signal bulbs burned out.

These are the only burn-outs that I've had (not including tires).

I did the 'foglight mod' about a year ago. A week ago, I removed the relay jumper, and found out that the fog lamps would not turn on at all without the jumper. I plugged the wire back in, and the foglamps operated according to the mod again.

My car is Canadian and so is equipped with the daytime running lamp relay to allow DRL operation.

I have a 2002 ZX5 with Advancetrac. The traction kicks in quite frequently when I drive, and I like to turn it on/off in anticipation of upcoming corners or gravel.

With regards to normal bulb failure rates, does Advancetrac create voltage spikes in the car's electrical system? Would a higher quality alternator (from Hitachi?-I really have no idea) help?

Are specific brands of bulbs, such as Phillips, better than Sylvania?

Does anyone know why my license plate bulbs would keep burning out?
**update. Did search in forums and found information on water leakage causing license plate bulb failure.
BTW, the area around the chrome strip on the hatch is rusting out after being repainted by the dealer a few months ago for the very same problem! Sigh. I guess this is the cause of that problem.

Will removing the DRL relay increase the likelihood of burning out a bulb filament?

Sorry about the lack of technical knowledge.

Thanks for the help...

BTW PIAA Super Plasma GT-X light quality looks 100X better than Silverstar light quality but cost 1.7X more.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2005, 02:02 PM   #2
Stephs2.0Focus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 13422
What I Drive: 2005 Diamond White Pearl Lancer Ralliart

FF Reputation: 1 Stephs2.0Focus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
From what I have read the Silverstar lights are good but burn out too quickly. I was going to purchase some of the PIAA's you had but I just dont have the money right now. I hear they are the best bulbs on the market. You should either go back to you OEM bulbs or get something in a higher quality. I honestly dont know a damn thing about Advancetrac, but I doubt it has anything to do with you headlight bulbs burning out. Check you wiring harnesses as well, look for any type of damages.
Old 03-08-2005, 02:23 PM   #3
Geezer
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1427
What I Drive: 99 miata, 05Mazda6, 09GTI, 12Imprez

FF Reputation: 141 Geezer Excellent Standing Member Geezer Excellent Standing Member
Vibration and corrosion are two enemies to bulb life. Make sure the plate bulb is firm in its sockets and not touching anything else (hitting the reflector, lense, etc.). Put a little dielectric grease on the base of the bulb to ward of water and corrosion. You can by a lot of bulbs for the price of a new alternator. If the problem persists I suggest taking it to an auto electric shop (thats the only work that they do) as they can usually diagnose the problem fairly quickly which saves you money in the long run. Daylight running lamps often burn the headlight bulb at a reduced voltage. Regardless, this effects the life expectancy of the bulb. When you start with a short life bulb (sorry the PIAAS and Silverstars are VERY short life bulbs) the life of the bulb will be even less. Stick with the extravisions for reasonable life expectancy, cost, and a little brighter light.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2005, 03:01 PM   #4
microtonal
FF #1 Most Wanted

Fan#: 470
What I Drive: 2012 GTI, 2014 Forester XT

FF Reputation: 12 microtonal Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
PIAA and Silverstars are spec'd to last an average of about 1 year.

I'm just wondering if you're getting current spikes in your electrical system that may cause the bulb to blow.

Do you have anything installed in the car that might put a load on the electrical system ?
Old 03-08-2005, 04:11 PM   #5
walmart
Focus Rookie

Thanks for the help...

Now is there any way to test my car's current or electrical system with a simple 20 dollar multimeter?

I don't have anything installed on the car at all, just a shift knob, window tint, some dust inside the car, and dirt on the outside...unless the dirt has been statically charged up...hmm...heh heh
Old 03-09-2005, 01:30 AM   #6
mr.smoot
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 15886
What I Drive: Red 2000 ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 mr.smoot Good Standing Member
If memory serves from my days with an MGB, if you use the multimeter across the terminals of the battery or positive terminal and a ground source, you should get 14V+ when the alternator is charging (less than 2000 rpm, I think). Less than that (closer to 12V or lower), and you could have a problem with the alternator or the leads to and from it. More than 15.5V and the voltage regulator in the alternator might be at fault. Same if your headlights suddenly get dimmer for a while when you're driving.

You can pull the alternator out and bring it to most auto parts stores and they'll bench test it. If it's putting out too much current, that could be a problem for the rest of the system. You also might want to see if the relays are good in your headlight system. I don't know how to test those, so I'll defer to others (isn't someone an ASE Master around here?).
Old 03-09-2005, 02:18 AM   #7
floydzx3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 17858
What I Drive: 2005 pitch black ZX3 ses

FF Reputation: 1 floydzx3 Good Standing Member
hey dont know if this helps but in my 03 f-150 (that i traded for my new foci) i had bought some hid wannabe's and come to find out they were burning to hot for the factory connectors. they kept on burning out or they would get real dim so i took it to ford and had to replace both of the conectors and decided after twice on both sides i put the oem bulbs back in so check that. just my 2 cnts.
Old 03-09-2005, 02:50 PM   #8
qweesy
Focus Addict

Fan#: 12042
What I Drive: 2004 focus Duratec 2.3 RS (DEAD)

Points 3,110, Level 34
Points: 3,110, Level: 34 Points: 3,110, Level: 34 Points: 3,110, Level: 34
Level Up 40% Completed
Level up: 40% Level up: 40% Level up: 40%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 4 qweesy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
hey could you give me the webpage that yougot for them and whats the bulb type for the focus
Old 03-10-2005, 12:42 AM   #9
Bert
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 6476
What I Drive: 2002 Sonic Blue SVT Focus #2724

FF Reputation: 1 Bert Good Standing Member
I bought a set of EuroDeZign bulbs for my Focus last June off of Ebay for $18… One of them just burnt out last week but I sent it back to the manufacture and they are sending me a complete new set for $6.95 (this is how there lifetime warranty policy works)….. But they give off good light and even if I have to get a new pair each year for 7 bucks its still not a bad deal….

http://www.eurodezigns.com
Old 03-11-2005, 02:38 PM   #10
walmart
Focus Rookie

I got the PIAA Super Plasma GT-X bulbs from a local auto store for 100 dollars CAD which is about $80.00 USD.

I recently went back there but could not find the GT-X bulbs for sale...I wonder if they are now discontinuted. They were at about 5000k color temp. The new super white ones are about 4000k which are the same as the Silverstars.

I have not tried the super white bulbs from PIAA but the GT-X put out a unique light that looks really special and nice and that I am unable to describe. If only I had pictures of it...It made me feel special when driving at night that my Silverstars at a normal 4000k white light cannot.

I found the link to the PIAA bulbs at http://www.piaa.com/Bulbs/Bulbs-H4.html

[:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]**

Thanks for the advice, I am going to hook up my multimeter and check the voltage levels later on. Until then, I'm running yellow OEM bulbs...sigh.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.