Eibach Sportline (4.13435) doesn't fit 2014 sedan? - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis

Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis The place to go for answers on brakes, suspension, camber, alignment and more.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-24-2014, 05:19 PM   #11
Yadda
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 134881
What I Drive: 2014 Tuxedo Black sedan

FF Reputation: 1 Yadda Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
It'd be useful to know where the problem was with the front springs, whether at the top or the bottom.

Spring change on earlier models was a major reduction in the size of the top, if that was the case with yours, the top mounting is the issue instead of the struts.

To answer an earlier question, sway bars control a car's lean when turning. The combination of sizes front to rear affects the handling of the car regarding oversteer or understeer. ST is the only stock version with a touch of oversteer BTW. Using none on a FWD car would result in more lean & understeer (Plows in a turn, wants to go straight).
He mentioned it was the top
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2014, 10:01 PM   #12
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 60 sailor Excellent Standing Member
If that's the case, all you need to make it fit is the top mounting hdwe. that's different for the '12-'13 models.

Check all the top hdwe. to be sure, spring holder/bearing area is the probable change.

Fordparts.com is handy for comparisons.

S.R. #275

Old 03-24-2014, 10:31 PM   #13
Yadda
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
If that's the case, all you need to make it fit is the top mounting hdwe. that's different for the '12-'13 models.

Check all the top hdwe. to be sure, spring holder/bearing area is the probable change.

Fordparts.com is handy for comparisons.
Good site, it seems like the shocks are different but not too different. I'm not sure if I am looking at the right thing. Most everything is the same except for this. Would this be the issue? If so, it seems like the only option is a new shock.

2014 - standard (right front)
2013 - standard (right front)
2012 - standard (right front)

(there seems to be a rendering error with the links saying all are from 2014)
Old 03-24-2014, 10:36 PM   #14
Ccrew
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 148578
What I Drive: 2007 Screaming Yellow ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Ccrew Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yadda View Post
\
(there seems to be a rendering error with the links saying all are from 2014)
Actually unless I'm getting really old and decrepid looking at your links the struts are all the same. While they come up with different parts pictures they all come up with Part # 18124. Springs all show Part # 5310. Top bearings and the strut mounts too. The plot thickens..
Old 03-24-2014, 10:38 PM   #15
sailor
"Elder"

Right area, not the pieces I was thinking of.

We know the shocks had updates, but the kit springs fit at the bottom from your info.

Top mount pieces are where we're looking for changes, parts the spring top seats against. Good to check ALL of those top parts just to be sure.

(We ought to call them struts, some folks looking at this might get confused)

S.R. #275

Old 03-24-2014, 10:45 PM   #16
Yadda
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccrew View Post
Actually unless I'm getting really old and decrepid looking at your links the struts are all the same. While they come up with different parts pictures they all come up with Part # 18124.
Nah, you're not, I noticed that too. Didn't know what to make of it. Other than those pictures everything is identical, even the mounting bracket. TireRack is supposed to call me tomorrow and if they can't figure it out I'll call Eibach and ask them what's up.

Am I really the first one to attempt this? Seems kind of strange. Sometimes I feel like one of the only ones with a sedan here. I wish I were more mechanically inclined so I can just look up in there and see what the deal is. :\

Need an addon like Notepad++'s text comparer to spot differences in text quickly to see what part has changed cuz something aint right since things aren't fitting where they used to.
Old 03-24-2014, 11:17 PM   #17
sailor
"Elder"

Those "call out" numbers stay the same, despite parts differences in many cases. Same item # like the same name for the item. Gotta look at other #'s listed (if they are) or pictured differences on that site. Sometimes you see one call out number with different variations listed once you click on the number in the picture.

That site doesn't always help, because it's not listing part numbers very often.

P.S. - '14's are still pretty new, takes a while to find the differences. Not many have done the '14 suspension yet is my guess.

S.R. #275

Old 03-25-2014, 03:45 AM   #18
sailor
"Elder"

Top spring mounts (Bushings in the catalog) show different part #'s between '13 & '14.

18198 - AD1094 for '13 it's 18198 - AD1105 for the '14's

Strut mounts have different prices as well, so those may also have differences.

It's about $60 for all 4 pieces if you need them.

Double check if you need to order, Fordparts.com info. looked good.

Luck

S.R. #275

Old 03-25-2014, 03:38 PM   #19
Yadda
Focus Enthusiast

Thanks Sailor, you are immensely helpful in pinpointing this problem no no doubt others will have.

I spoke to both TireRack and Eibach and they seem to only know the details of their product and not the details of my car. When I asked if they knew what the issue was, they just re-iterated that they didn't have a product compatible with my car and that was that. I need to speak to an actual mechanic who works on these vehicles and can tell me what exactly is different and what I can do and I'm pretty sure Sailor is right, but I need to hear it confirmed rather than just eyeballing it. If I were to call up a Ford dealership who should I ask to speak to? This is my first new car, I don't have much experience with dealerships!

I kind of wish someone would just step in and say "yo, you're going about this all retarded and backwards, just buy these shocks and be done with it, jeez".
Old 03-25-2014, 11:07 PM   #20
Deesiel678
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105147
What I Drive: 2013 white SE hatch

FF Reputation: 3 Deesiel678 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Sounds like the same issue '14 ST owners are having... Springs intended for '13s don't fit/work. The '14s are using a strut with a different spring perch, and thus require a different spring, which is why springs for 12-13 wont work. A local friend of mine installed springs intended for a '13 in his '14 ST, he just had to use '13 ST struts.

I imagine that coilovers intended for 12-13 would work, since the spring perch wouldn't be an issue, and you would reuse your stock strut tophat anyway. All the other mounting points are the same.

Regarding the Eibach Sport plus system, even though it shows struts and shocks listed, it doesn't actually come with struts/shocks for the mk3 Focus; just springs and sway bars only.

Bookmarks & Social Networks