Wash > clay > polish > carnauba > synthetic - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Auto Washing, Detailing & Paint Protection

Auto Washing, Detailing & Paint Protection Discuss wax, polish, chamois, microfiber towels, simple cloth towel, scratch repair and paint protection. Use this Forum to discuss your cleaning tricks and techniques.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-23-2014, 06:44 PM   #1
bshin352
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114147
What I Drive: 2013 Tux Black Ti Sedan, DCT

FF Reputation: 1 bshin352 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Wash > clay > polish > carnauba > synthetic

I've searched other threads and so far I'm curious as to why some do syn base carna topcoat?
I've always done the way listed in the title and always had stunning results for 6-7 months depending on how much environment exposure I give it. I use gold class wash for the lubricosity (tux black met) along with the two bucket method , meguairs white clay bar and quick detailed for lube. I've recently changed from mothers micro glaze to the turtle wax renew rx premium polish (black bottle, white liquid) and the turtle polish does a spectacular job compared to the micro glaze, is loads easier to wipe off and is sil-free (not that it matters as most waxes contain silica of sorts). For waxes on this particular focus, I've used mothers pure carnauba as a base then follow a few hours after with the mothers synthetic.

I'm open to opinions and suggestions to my method. And anyone with the tux black met color how is the paint looking? Any micro swirls? I don't have swirls.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2014, 08:11 PM   #2
Jvs1991
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 117489
What I Drive: 2013, Ruby Red, SE w/ Black pack

FF Reputation: 2 Jvs1991 Good Standing Member
Wash > clay > polish > carnauba > synthetic

You would want to do synthetic as a base then carnauba since the Nuba will wear off before the synthetic. No experience with turtle wax polish but I personally would never use that. Meguiars, menzerna and hd polish all make nice polishes. Auto finesse also has some nice waxes and pre wax cleaners.

As far as swirls as long as you're not using old rags to wash the car and aren't using bath towels to dry you should be fine. Just use a quality microfiber. Also you could always have swirls but the wax and polish could be filling them. After a few washes the fillers can wash away and you'll see the swirls. Just something to keep in mind.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:29 PM   #3
bshin352
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvs1991 View Post
You would want to do synthetic as a base then carnauba since the Nuba will wear off before the synthetic. No experience with turtle wax polish but I personally would never use that. Meguiars, menzerna and hd polish all make nice polishes. Auto finesse also has some nice waxes and pre wax cleaners.

As far as swirls as long as you're not using old rags to wash the car and aren't using bath towels to dry you should be fine. Just use a quality microfiber. Also you could always have swirls but the wax and polish could be filling them. After a few washes the fillers can wash away and you'll see the swirls. Just something to keep in mind.

Hmmm. I'll give it a shot next time I have to wax.

This turtle polish isn't in the tub btw, looks to be new. But no ill effects so I like it. Yah deff not using anything but mfbr. I will keep that in mind and we shall see....
Old 03-23-2014, 08:35 PM   #4
papaacer
Sonic's MK3 Crew #25

Fan#: 111083
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SE

FF Reputation: 9 papaacer Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Yeah synthetic base since it last longer. I personally use the meguirs microcut cleaners for my polishing.
That's because if a sedan was used there would be too much awesomeness and the internet would explode.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:37 PM   #5
papaacer
Sonic's MK3 Crew #25

And polishes do not fill up swirls. Only the wax. A polish acts as a microcut to the clearcoat.
That's because if a sedan was used there would be too much awesomeness and the internet would explode.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:40 PM   #6
bshin352
Focus Enthusiast

Just a microcut? Wouldn't that mean it'd level the swirls?
Old 03-23-2014, 08:42 PM   #7
Jvs1991
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 117489
What I Drive: 2013, Ruby Red, SE w/ Black pack

FF Reputation: 2 Jvs1991 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by papaacer View Post
And polishes do not fill up swirls. Only the wax. A polish acts as a microcut to the clearcoat.

Ummm yes polishes contain fillers, some more than others that can fill in swirls.
Old 03-26-2014, 01:27 PM   #8
crice8
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 84830
What I Drive: 2010 Sterling Gray Focus SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 9 crice8 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
I would not use that turtle wax on a bicycle...
I use a sealant then carnauba on top of it. Gives a super deep warm shine and I get the superior protection of the sealant.
I am a big fan of the surf city garage products and sonus products. Both are great. Dodo Juice is also a terrific product.
Galatians 6:14
Old 03-26-2014, 01:28 PM   #9
papaacer
Sonic's MK3 Crew #25

There is a detailer on youtube named larry. AmmoNYC is his company and he just released some products and i might give them a shot
Old 03-26-2014, 01:29 PM   #10
bshin352
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by crice8 View Post
I am a big fan of the surf city garage products and sonus products. Both are great. Dodo Juice is also a terrific product.
I've tried the surf city garage stuff, very good stuff. haven't heard of dodo juice

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->