Mk 3 and an iPod question - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-20-2014, 07:45 PM   #1
5speed SE
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 106877
What I Drive: 2013 Sterling Grey SE sedan

FF Reputation: 1 5speed SE Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Mk 3 and an iPod question

so for the first time today i decided to hook up my iPod Classic in the focus... i have the basic radio, no myFordtouch or whatever... things went pretty well and seem to work ok... when i went into the grocery store and came back out, it seemed like i wasn't on the same song as when i came in thought maybe the dang thing kept playing while in the center console...

my question is, when you turn the car off, will the iPod turn off too or will i have to disconnect the "line in" and "usb" hookup and physically press and hold the OFF button on the iPod? seems like somewhat of an inconvenience if you have to go that route all the time...

thank you...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2014, 08:01 PM   #2
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 9 Kabigon Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5speed SE View Post
so for the first time today i decided to hook up my iPod Classic in the focus... i have the basic radio, no myFordtouch or whatever... things went pretty well and seem to work ok... when i went into the grocery store and came back out, it seemed like i wasn't on the same song as when i came in thought maybe the dang thing kept playing while in the center console...

my question is, when you turn the car off, will the iPod turn off too or will i have to disconnect the "line in" and "usb" hookup and physically press and hold the OFF button on the iPod? seems like somewhat of an inconvenience if you have to go that route all the time...

thank you...
Questions:

1) Were you using an analog connection for the audio (headphone or line out)?

2) Was there any connection across the USB other than power (charging)? In other words, could you control the iPod in any way through the USB connection?

Sorry... I have MFT so I am not familiar with the basic audio system.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:16 PM   #3
5speed SE
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabigon View Post
Questions:

1) Were you using an analog connection for the audio (headphone or line out)?

2) Was there any connection across the USB other than power (charging)? In other words, could you control the iPod in any way through the USB connection?

Sorry... I have MFT so I am not familiar with the basic audio system.
1) yes, i had the line in/out cable (comes out the top of the ipod for headphones) hooked up to the "line in" jack in the center counsel...

2) yes there was connection through the usb, also in the center console next to the "line in" jack... i was able to scroll the songs and adjust volume through the steering wheel controls...

sorry i'm not more tech savy... i grew up with Pong... and no, not beer pong...LOL
Old 03-20-2014, 08:53 PM   #4
tru88
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114979
What I Drive: 2014, Sterling Gray, SE Focus

FF Reputation: 1 tru88 Good Standing Member
It probably keeps playing even after you turn the car off since it's through the headphone jack. I believe if you press pause on the iPod before you leave it should stop
Old 03-20-2014, 09:23 PM   #5
xwhit3devilx
Focus Addict

Fan#: 86578
What I Drive: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo

FF Reputation: 2 xwhit3devilx Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5speed SE View Post
1) yes, i had the line in/out cable (comes out the top of the ipod for headphones) hooked up to the "line in" jack in the center counsel...

2) yes there was connection through the usb, also in the center console next to the "line in" jack... i was able to scroll the songs and adjust volume through the steering wheel controls...

sorry i'm not more tech savy... i grew up with Pong... and no, not beer pong...LOL
Use either the line in jack OR the USB port, not both. Also do not set the radio to just plain line in, set it to "USB".

I am assume by "basic radio" you mean the six speaker system with SYNC. (Voice only)
Old 03-20-2014, 10:10 PM   #6
goingtoscotland
Focus Addict

Fan#: 132001
What I Drive: '14 Tuxedo Black HB, 05 Kawi ZX-10R

FF Reputation: 6 goingtoscotland Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by xwhit3devilx View Post
Use either the line in jack OR the USB port, not both. Also do not set the radio to just plain line in, set it to "USB".

I am assume by "basic radio" you mean the six speaker system with SYNC. (Voice only)
You shouldn't be able to control anything but volume with the car(either the radio or steering wheel controls) when using line in. Only the controls on the device should work. He said he could use the car to control the iPod. I'm pretty sure the AUX line was connected, but not actually doing anything as he was using the USB to interface with the device.

Hatch Nation #46
Old 03-20-2014, 10:55 PM   #7
SilverPony2001
Focus Addict

Fan#: 27073
What I Drive: 2013 SGM Sedan SE

FF Reputation: 8 SilverPony2001 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by goingtoscotland View Post
You shouldn't be able to control anything but volume with the car(either the radio or steering wheel controls) when using line in. Only the controls on the device should work. He said he could use the car to control the iPod. I'm pretty sure the AUX line was connected, but not actually doing anything as he was using the USB to interface with the device.
Maybe once the car was off it kept playing because the USB disconnected, but the line-in was still connected. Doesn't the car keep power to some accessories for 15-30 minutes after the car is off? The iPod might have thought it was still connected via the line-in and kept playing.

I suggest just using the USB port.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:58 PM   #8
goingtoscotland
Focus Addict

That is a real possibility. An iPod only cares when something is plugged into the headphone jack. Power isn't an issue as power isn't transmitted through the jack. If you unplug the jack, the iPod(or most any other device) will pause, but if it's not unplugged it will continue to play unless you manually pause it.

Hatch Nation #46
Old 03-20-2014, 11:16 PM   #9
5speed SE
Focus Enthusiast

thanks everybody for the thought and good suggestions... i will try using ONLY the usb and not both... electronics, technology and i don't always get a long... seems more times than not it's something simple... i probably try to over-analyze things and make them more complicated than what they are...
Old 03-20-2014, 11:21 PM   #10
goingtoscotland
Focus Addict

Just remember that the car might as well be a pair of headphones as far as the i pod is concerned. It will pause if you unplug the jack, but if you don't it will only pause if you do it manually.

Hatch Nation #46

Bookmarks & Social Networks