What's your beef with your second gen? - Page 5 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Second Generation > MK2 Focus

MK2 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the second generation 2008-2011 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-20-2014, 09:04 AM   #41
Miller88
Focus Addict

Fan#: 73790
What I Drive: 2011 Focus SE 5 Speed

FF Reputation: 5 Miller88 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
Miller88 - you can play with camber all you want, but toe-in has been the issue with rear tire wear on these from the first ones.

Check in the Brakes,Tires & suspension area to see all the old threads on this.

Just tryin' to help out, had one rear misaligned when I got mine & getting them right solved the problem.

MINIMUM spec. for toe in the rear works - toed toward the max it'll chew up tires.

Cheers

I've read that too. But the rear wheels look like this when looking at the rear of the car /---\ I don't have any feathering on the inside, though.

I can check the toe pretty easily. I should do that once the weather warms up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac.mogul View Post
I think you have a unique problem because I've never had problems with shifting into 2nd gear. Have you looked at your shifter assembly for possible problems?
I have had it to the dealer 5 or 6 times. It's "normal". Doesn't appear to be a synchronizer as 50% of the time it shifts perfect and it doesn't pop out of gear.

Who knows. It hasn't got any worse (actually a bit better). Problem appeared around 15K miles and I am almost at 41K. As long as it doesn't get worse, I'll not worry about it.

I plan to keep the car until it rusts in half like my Taurus did. I keep the paint waxes and spray with oil throughout the winter, so this one shouldn't rust as bad as the Taurus!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2014, 09:43 PM   #42
WilliamChrist
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 147282
What I Drive: 2008 Silver Sedan SES

FF Reputation: 1 WilliamChrist Good Standing Member
The motor mounts on the car are garbage and I need to change them so I can stop driving a paint shaker around. Also on the rear end there are 4 bolts that hold the entire spindle in place for the rear tire that you have to remove in order to check the brakes so if you live in a state where they do an inspection (i.e. virginia) they often don't put all the bolts back in because its a pain in the ass to get too => I have to argue with the morons.

Other than that its a great little car that gets wonderful gas mileage, too bad not much aftermarket support.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:34 PM   #43
crice8
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 84830
What I Drive: 2010 Sterling Gray Focus SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 9 crice8 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamChrist View Post
The motor mounts on the car are garbage and I need to change them so I can stop driving a paint shaker around. Also on the rear end there are 4 bolts that hold the entire spindle in place for the rear tire that you have to remove in order to check the brakes so if you live in a state where they do an inspection (i.e. virginia) they often don't put all the bolts back in because its a pain in the ass to get too => I have to argue with the morons.

Other than that its a great little car that gets wonderful gas mileage, too bad not much aftermarket support.
Yeah that brings up probably my biggest complaint on our cars. A complete lack of aftermarket parts even though there were over a million 08-2011 focus sold lol
Galatians 6:14
Old 03-21-2014, 02:17 PM   #44
Miztaken1312
Focus Addict

Fan#: 74993
What I Drive: 2008 Black Coupe SES

FF Reputation: 2 Miztaken1312 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by crice8 View Post
Yeah that brings up probably my biggest complaint on our cars. A complete lack of aftermarket parts even though there were over a million 08-2011 focus sold lol
I could be entirely wrong, but I think most of the stuff from the Mk1s will work on the Mk2 because mechanically, the cars are very similar. Like the FRPP suspension kits for example, or the SVT rear brake kits.

But really, if you want a huge aftermarket for an economy car (at least an American one) you've bought the wrong car. Honda and Nissan would be the ones to own if you want a huge aftermarket for econo-boxes.

As for my gripes with the car...

1. The tray on the rear bumper
2. The chipping on the steering wheel buttons
3. When I'm really getting into to with the throttle (talking near redline shifting), 3rd gear will always grind just the slightest bit
4. With both windows down, cruising at highway speeds, the radio isn't nearly loud enough to overcome wind noise
5. My passenger side door requires either one really hard tug on the handle to open it, or two pulls. One to pop it free, the second to open it
6. No interior trunk release
7. Crappy plastics in the dash
8. Lack of rear disc brakes
9. Lack of adequate seat bolsters (my sister's Honda Fit has better seats then me)

Other then all that, mechanically it's a great car, aesthetically nice to look at, and it's got enough get-up-n-go to get me in just enough trouble if I wanted to.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:18 PM   #45
jiraines
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 70026
What I Drive: 2009 Sterling Gray Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 jiraines Good Standing Member
I have issues with rattles and other noises from the dash during cold weather. The buttons on the steering wheel are really chipped on mine too. The fix ford applied for the squeaking parking brake cable broke after about a year so I just grease it up with axle grease once a year. I have replaced both license plate bulb sockets twice because the keep rusting out and break when I change bulbs. My brake light housings get moisture inside them during really wet weather but eventually dry out.

She's a great little car though and I enjoy driving it. I think the focus was the best car to buy at that price point.
Old 04-10-2014, 12:02 PM   #46
SlickWilly
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 116476
What I Drive: 2009 Ford Focus SES Sangria Red

FF Reputation: 5 SlickWilly Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I've seen some people with the chipped steering wheel buttons but mine are chip free. My center piece did scratch up.

My auto spins a lot more then I would like off the line, an aggressive tire would solve that but these LRR's so nice and fuel efficient to ride on.

I wish my gear ratio was better probably a coupe trans swap would help me with that because my gears are long and winded by the time it shifts.
Old 04-10-2014, 01:48 PM   #47
Rubix
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 109903
What I Drive: 2011 SES

FF Reputation: 1 Rubix Good Standing Member

This bugs me.
Old 04-10-2014, 03:40 PM   #48
pfsantos
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 125113
What I Drive: 2009 Silver SES

FF Reputation: 1 pfsantos Good Standing Member
^ your pic is kinda vague lol...what bugs you?

Pretty much what was mentioned and:

- no switch to turn off dome light when opening doors
- buzzer that doesn't shut off when door open and ign. on.
- having rear drums, especially not being able to take drum off without messing with the bearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamChrist View Post
Also on the rear end there are 4 bolts that hold the entire spindle in place for the rear tire that you have to remove in order to check the brakes so if you live in a state where they do an inspection (i.e. Virginia)
Shouldn't they be removing the wheels and center bearing nut instead?

And I've generally only heard good things about our man. tranny (MTX75), so maybe some have had bad previous (or current, lol) owners. :D
Old 04-10-2014, 03:49 PM   #49
Miztaken1312
Focus Addict

Fan#: 74993
What I Drive: 2008 Black Coupe SES

FF Reputation: 2 Miztaken1312 Good Standing Member
I love my manual. And since I've put in my Steeda shirt throw, it doesn't grind going into third at high rpm
Old 04-10-2014, 04:13 PM   #50
Rubix
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 109903
What I Drive: 2011 SES

FF Reputation: 1 Rubix Good Standing Member
I suppose not being flush bugs me too haha but I was trying to show the condensation in my tail light.

Bookmarks & Social Networks