What's your beef with your second gen? - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Second Generation > MK2 Focus

MK2 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the second generation 2008-2011 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-17-2014, 02:15 PM   #11
ThaKillerKlown
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 73791
What I Drive: '11 SES Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 ThaKillerKlown Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I have put 70,000 miles on my SES since I bought my car in Oct 3012... That breaks down to around 4,100 miles per month. My car had 35,000 miles on it when I bought it and had brand new tires on it as well. I would be lucky if the first set of tires lasted 20k before the wires started showing... I wore them out really fast. I shopped around for tires and had a 4 wheel alignment done, these new tires are kicking ass and taking names. I always rotate every 5k or so and balance every 10k.

If your car is eating tires, there is an issue with your alignment. The tolerences on these cars for alignment are so broad that the computer may say they are in spec when they really are not. Make sure a reputable shop does your alignment and keep a close eye on the wear, if they start to wear funny, have them re check it.

Aside from that, my complaints would be the leather they used for the seats, its some really cheap shit and this crap Sync system... Its utter garbage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2014, 02:33 PM   #12
crice8
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 84830
What I Drive: 2010 Sterling Gray Focus SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 9 crice8 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
Most of the people who have issues with tires on the second gens are at the owners fault.. if you keep your tires rotated every 3000-5000 miles and get an alignment at least every 10k you will be fine. Pay for a solid shop to do your alignment. I pay for sears 3 years alignment service. That way every time I go get an oil change I have my alignment done as well(= It pays for itself 2 alignments in which is less than 6 months.. Plus all of these people using super soft performance rubber expecting 50k out of a set of tires is ridiculous... I suggest continental DWS to everyone!
Galatians 6:14
Old 03-17-2014, 02:37 PM   #13
Gettysburg150
Focus Addict

Fan#: 97408
What I Drive: 08 Silverfrost Metallic SE, 5 speed

FF Reputation: 2 Gettysburg150 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by crice8 View Post
Most of the people who have issues with tires on the second gens are at the owners fault.. if you keep your tires rotated every 3000-5000 miles and get an alignment at least every 10k you will be fine. Pay for a solid shop to do your alignment. I pay for sears 3 years alignment service. That way every time I go get an oil change I have my alignment done as well(= It pays for itself 2 alignments in which is less than 6 months.. Plus all of these people using super soft performance rubber expecting 50k out of a set of tires is ridiculous... I suggest continental DWS to everyone!
Agreed. Been running the FRPP kit for probably 2 years or so now (maybe 40-50k?) with almost neg 2 degrees camber in the rear (no camber arms or plates, just all stock) and other than my snow tires being chunky (which they did at 100% stock) I have 0 tire issues.

My gripes are:
Fit/finish of the trim (steering wheel buttons, plactic staining that I can for the life of me get out, etc etc)
Creaking noise from the parking brake cables
Occasional idle dips from the stupid idle strategy
Crappy MTX75 shifting (probably worse from the worn dog bone, but has done it since new)
Worn dog bone mount
Not enough money to finish my turbo lol

Other than that, pretty good. 115k and I've done just simple maintenance

Sedan Revolution Two Three Zero
FRPP, "Stealth" CAI, Debadged, wider tires, louder stereo, turbo mainfold in the wrong place...
Old 03-17-2014, 02:38 PM   #14
crice8
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 84830
What I Drive: 2010 Sterling Gray Focus SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 9 crice8 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gettysburg150 View Post
Agreed. Been running the FRPP kit for probably 2 years or so now (maybe 40-50k?) with almost neg 2 degrees camber in the rear (no camber arms or plates, just all stock) and other than my snow tires being chunky (which they did at 100% stock) I have 0 tire issues.

My gripes are:
Fit/finish of the trim (steering wheel buttons, plactic staining that I can for the life of me get out, etc etc)
Creaking noise from the parking brake cables
Occasional idle dips from the stupid idle strategy
Crappy MTX75 shifting (probably worse from the worn dog bone, but has done it since new)
Worn dog bone mount
Not enough money to finish my turbo lol

Other than that, pretty good. 115k and I've done just simple maintenance
I too have the FRPP with no camber bolts and have about 2 degrees negative camber.
Galatians 6:14
Old 03-17-2014, 02:43 PM   #15
Rubix
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 109903
What I Drive: 2011 SES

FF Reputation: 1 Rubix Good Standing Member
Tires that came stock with my car lasted me about 40k.
Old 03-17-2014, 02:52 PM   #16
Gettysburg150
Focus Addict

Mine (kumhos) lasted @60k, that was checking tire pressures religously, rotating probably every 5k or so, and only doing 1 burn out lol

FRPP, "Stealth" CAI, Debadged, wider tires, louder stereo, turbo mainfold in the wrong place...
Old 03-17-2014, 03:18 PM   #17
2010SVT
Focus Addict

Fan#: 93835
What I Drive: 2010 Focus Se 1998 Ford F150

FF Reputation: 2 2010SVT Good Standing Member
The original tires for me made it about 55000 miles. Dont know what the issue is there for folks on here. Now that I'm on coilovers with stickier rubber I have noticed that these tires dont seem to be lasting as long but oh well not my daily so even though it will be less miles I should still get plenty of time out of them.
sedan revolution #215 2010 SE Sedan, SES conversion front and rear, Ksport coilovers, Fswerks CAI, 93 tune, Race header and flex pipe, stealth exhaust, upper front stress bar and engine cover.
Old 03-17-2014, 03:36 PM   #18
mac.mogul
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 90409
What I Drive: 2011 Sterling Grey SES Sedan

FF Reputation: 13 mac.mogul Great Standing Member
I got about 25k miles out of the OEM tires and about 25k out of the tires I used to replace them. Both sets were Kumhos.
Most reviews I see for the Mk2 Focus say the same thing, that the OEM tires last about 25-30k miles before needing replaced.

A lot of it, I'm sure, comes down to driving style. Road surfaces, climate, etc all factor into tire wear as well as alignment and rotation maintenance.

I did lots of autocross on the tires I had so had I not done that they would have lasted much longer.

Regardless, very few cars go through tires like a Focus does. The aggressive factory alignment makes them fun to drive but doesn't do much for tire longevity.
2011 SES 5spd #006 >> SR #213

What other people think of me is none of my business.
Old 03-17-2014, 03:48 PM   #19
Gettysburg150
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac.mogul View Post
I got about 25k miles out of the OEM tires and about 25k out of the tires I used to replace them. Both sets were Kumhos.
Most reviews I see for the Mk2 Focus say the same thing, that the OEM tires last about 25-30k miles before needing replaced.

A lot of it, I'm sure, comes down to driving style. Road surfaces, climate, etc all factor into tire wear as well as alignment and rotation maintenance.

I did lots of autocross on the tires I had so had I not done that they would have lasted much longer.

Regardless, very few cars go through tires like a Focus does. The aggressive factory alignment makes them fun to drive but doesn't do much for tire longevity.
Fantastic point. If I was driving mine spiritedly as you did they probably wouldnt have lasted as long. Since most of my miles have been commuting on the highway it has probably helped me

Old 03-18-2014, 01:32 AM   #20
Blackcat
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 104462
What I Drive: 2009 Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 2 Blackcat Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by crice8 View Post
I suggest continental DWS to everyone!
Mine are about shot after one summer. The car was aligned, the tires were rotated.

I also hate how the car is so eager to get out of overdrive. SYNC is fairly annoying in a lot of ways. The USB plug is hard to get to when you have accessories plugged into the 12v ports. No ABS on mine, which I was shocked to find out some time after purchase, thought that became standard in about 1998 on all cars. Doesn't idle smoothly at all.

Bookmarks & Social Networks