Stock SVTF vs. lightly modded Civic Si hatch - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > General Racing Chat

General Racing Chat Use this Forum to discuss everything from launching off the line and four wheel drifts, to telling your favorite race tale. (Posting Rules)

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-03-2005, 12:02 PM   #1
yakimushi
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 15448
What I Drive: 2002 Infra-Red SVTF

FF Reputation: 1 yakimushi Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Stock SVTF vs. lightly modded Civic Si hatch

On my way home from work yesterday a Civic Si hatch came weaving up through traffic and came up on me on an open stretch of road. We were both going about 45mph with no traffic in front of us. I didn't have any playing in mind but he did.

I heard him downshift when he was about 1/2 a car behind me and get on it hard. I downshifted as well (from 5th to 3rd, lol) and we started a run. When I downshifted he was about a full car and a half ahead of me but I quickly pulled up next to him and started passing. Shifted into 4th and kept pulling but this wasn't the freeway and a neighborhood was coming up so I shut down, downshifted, and got on the brakes to get my speed back to a safe level. He passed me but quickly did the same thing.

I caught up to him again and he was doing the "I'm not gonna look at the car that just beat me" thing so I gave a quick honk and flashed a thumbs up. He looked a bit startled but grinned and returned a thumbs up. At the next light I pulled up next to him and rolled down my window and asked him what mods he had. It was just the basics, intake, exhaust, and an offroad pipe. He asked for mine and all I had was a short throw but he said he was jealous of the six speed .

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2005, 12:48 PM   #2
ChrisL911

Fan#: 17435
FF Reputation: 1 ChrisL911 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
good shit i wanted to know how bad an svt can beat a Civic Si, ps isnt that the fast one?
Old 03-03-2005, 01:00 PM   #3
PapoSwing
Regulator...mount up

Fan#: 3062
What I Drive: 03 Pitch Black SVT

FF Reputation: 28 PapoSwing Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
Nice!
Old 03-03-2005, 01:03 PM   #4
dgualtie

Fan#: 15238
What I Drive: 03 IR SVT

FF Reputation: 1 dgualtie Good Standing Member
the SI is the civic that has the most stock HP...160 i think
SVT squad #7
Old 03-03-2005, 01:54 PM   #5
yellowzx3R
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 3167
What I Drive: 03 focus 2.3, 66stang, 84 AE86

FF Reputation: 1 yellowzx3R Good Standing Member
was it the old one or the new one?
Old 03-03-2005, 01:59 PM   #6
Iceboy9191
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 5809
What I Drive: 04 SVT 5 dr

FF Reputation: 1 Iceboy9191 Good Standing Member
haha funny
Old 03-03-2005, 02:06 PM   #7
Sneaker Pimp
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 16648
What I Drive: 93 TSI AWD

FF Reputation: 1 Sneaker Pimp Good Standing Member
Sounds like he couldnt drive very well. My friends '04 lost from a slow roll to an Si hatch with only an intake/exhaust and no backseat.

I doubt you could make up 1.5 cars and then pass him if he had an intake/exhaust/ and an orp...

But a win is a win
Old 03-03-2005, 03:35 PM   #8
yakimushi
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 15448
What I Drive: 2002 Infra-Red SVTF

FF Reputation: 1 yakimushi Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by Sneaker Pimp
Sounds like he couldnt drive very well. My friends '04 lost from a slow roll to an Si hatch with only an intake/exhaust and no backseat.

I doubt you could make up 1.5 cars and then pass him if he had an intake/exhaust/ and an orp...

But a win is a win
I probably should have mentioned that this wasn't a straight road. It starts out straight then has a long curve that gradually gets tighter.

Map from Google

We ran from about Wampler Ave. to just up to Old Riverside Dr. while on Riverside Dr. Its a 4 lane divided road.

My car felt pretty good through the whole curve. We hit 80mph+ so it wasn't a walk in the park. My guess is that he may have let off the throttle a bit. I don't know if it was because his car was getting squirrley or he wasn't comfortable at those speeds in the turn.

I totally understand that between the SVTF and the newer Si's it's almost completely a drivers race. His mods gave him just enough horse to match my car, but I think my better suspension may have given me the edge.
Old 03-03-2005, 03:40 PM   #9
hotfocus
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 12
What I Drive: OLD: '00 Black ZX3, New: Pontiac G6

FF Reputation: 1 hotfocus Good Standing Member
Awesome kill
Old 03-03-2005, 03:58 PM   #10
COSVT03
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 6023
What I Drive: 2003 Competition Orange SVT

FF Reputation: 1 COSVT03 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Its been awhile. But you have sparked my interest in posting on one of the focus sites again. But I read this interesting story of yours about spanking a lightly modded Civic Si. Congradulations. I am not going to lie about it. I bought the Ford Focus SVT for one reason period. And that is that it is when driven properly it is able to perform. I laugh because around here about the best hondas I get to see come from the eighties. Every once in a while I will get a Dodge SRT-4 or maybe a Dodge Ram with a Hemi (laugh) to horse around with. But I do know a few people around with the Civic SI and we have done it all, from a stop +5 mph all the way to 55. One is stock and the other is the usual complete bolt on setup. Neither of them will ever claim to win against my very lightly modded SVT with just a few bolt ons. Strangly enought to stay on task me and my friends like to hang out and believe that true stories no matter how bad are better than fake ones. And if Im running 3 deep vs a Mustang GT full of nice young ladies who are amazed that at 105mph that my little focus will up end there jelouse boyfriends Mustang GT a Civic SI shouldnt be a problem. Dont get me wrong they are still quick. And from experience...beatin up on my buddies SI's I guess im just trying to say. Im proud to own my focus. But please know about the facts in the story before you go and judge. Im not gonna lie to all ya about the fact that I would get murdered off the line by that GT I would be playing catch up the whole way if I even did. But there are plenty of Situations where the Focus SVT is an Out-performer over a wide variety of cars. Please support your local focus! (If they cant drive it teach em!)

Ohh by the way...I edited this because I forgot Sneaker Pimps name
(BTW nice first post of choice Sneakerpimp? You own one?)

Bookmarks & Social Networks