Using stock light dimmer with aftermarket gauges! - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades

MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades The place to chat about performance gauges, shifter knobs, custom interior paint, car seats or any interior upgrades for the 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-03-2005, 09:32 AM   #1
Alex52686
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 13382
What I Drive: 2002 Ford Focus SVT

FF Reputation: 1 Alex52686 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Lightbulb Using stock light dimmer with aftermarket gauges!

Well I got my speedhut gauges which are fabulous. but I was against mounting a sperate dimmer switch that they include. In my opinion It would look out of place in the car. But at the same time I wanted the ability to dim my gauges. So I found a method of wiring the dimmer switch included to the stock dimmer.

If you take off the bottom piece by the fuse panel, as well as the Vent on the far left side for better access. You can get to the plug behind the lights switch. Unplug it making note of the oriantation of the switch. (theirs a release at the bottom of it) Now you will notice a white wire on the top left side of the plug, It's a bitt larger then the rest. This is the power feed coming out of the switch. I skinned a portion of this wire and sodered another wire to it. Now I would recomend adding an inline fuse b4 you attach this new wire to your gauges. Then attach the wire to the red wire on the dimmer switch given by the speedhut etc. and run the black wire from the speedhut dimmer to a ground. plug back in the stock dimmer and your set. Now all you have to do is put the stock dimmer on the brightest setting and then move the SpeedHut dimmer to where ever you would like the brightest your gauges to be. Now you can change the brightness of your gauges with your stock dimmer!!! Also make sure you stow the dimmer and wires some where safe. you dont want them bouncing around. I tucked them behind the padding on the left of the foot well.

INTERIOR: Cigarette lighter kill switch for both TC and starter, 2 Blue LED's in each air vent, Dual Guage Pod W/Voltmeter+Air/Fuel Guage, brushed aluminum switch panel, Custom SpeedHut dash (blue with silver flames), RAZO pedals, Blue dome light,
AUDIO: Pioneer DEH-P8MP Head Unit, 2 Xtant 12" subs (500W RMS 2000W Peak/each), Alphasonik PMA1000HCA (500 Watts x 2 @ 4 ohms Stereo 3000W Peak), 4 JBLs, Pac-Audio wired steering wheel control interface, Sirius Satelite Radio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2005, 09:47 AM   #2
Alex52686
Focus Enthusiast

[:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]S2 pointed out that the wire is orange not grey[:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]*

just a rough drawing. The wires supplied by speedhut aren't long enough so I just added some extension wire to the ends.

[:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]I just made up the colors of the wires. This is not an actual wiring diagram just a rough sketch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gauges.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	5401  

INTERIOR: Cigarette lighter kill switch for both TC and starter, 2 Blue LED's in each air vent, Dual Guage Pod W/Voltmeter+Air/Fuel Guage, brushed aluminum switch panel, Custom SpeedHut dash (blue with silver flames), RAZO pedals, Blue dome light,
AUDIO: Pioneer DEH-P8MP Head Unit, 2 Xtant 12" subs (500W RMS 2000W Peak/each), Alphasonik PMA1000HCA (500 Watts x 2 @ 4 ohms Stereo 3000W Peak), 4 JBLs, Pac-Audio wired steering wheel control interface, Sirius Satelite Radio

Last edited by Alex52686; 03-08-2005 at 08:20 AM.
Old 03-03-2005, 07:18 PM   #3
Lil PZEV
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 242
What I Drive: 2003 TwiBlue 2.3 ZX3

FF Reputation: 15 Lil PZEV Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
Huh. So you just wired the Speedhut one into the stock and hid it away.

I like this idea a lot! I totally agree just having to use the stock "thumb wheel" would look a lot cleaner... and it's just soldering like 2 wires together basically right? Very impressive, good thinking!
Old 03-03-2005, 07:21 PM   #4
Alex52686
Focus Enthusiast

yepp just two wires!

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->