SPI head source - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > SPI Performance (2000-2004)

SPI Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Split Port Injection engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-23-2014, 09:34 AM   #11
Wulff45
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 148170
What I Drive: 2002 SE sedan

FF Reputation: 1 Wulff45 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Was no need for a new piston. The seat never dropped out. Just got far enough down to hold the valve open enough to cause a misfire, and leave a clean spot on the piston where it had been just touching the valve/seat. No dent, just a clean spot from having the carbon knocked off.
It was running smooth on all 4 when I drove it into the shop to pull the head. Would not have done so much longer. Can even see a gap around part of the seat. I took pics of that too. I hope they turn out good. Wasn't my camera, the boss left his on the desk, and I knew he wouldn't believe this one.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2014, 07:24 PM   #12
Wulff45
Focus Rookie

Well, a couple hours of working on it today, and it runs good. Still hasn't fully relearned the fuel trim and idle routine, to be expected when the battery is unhooked for over 24 hrs.
Only hiccups during the entire proceedure was 3 exhaust manifold studs broke off in the old head. That forced me to hunt down 3 bolts to fill in the holes in the new head. Also broke 1 of those plastic vacuum lines, had to patch it with a short piece of rubber hose.
Even with all the extra stuff I threw on during this swap, I'm still into this car for under $1K.
Having a new casting was nice. No worries about a bolt hole that might be buggered up, like one might encounter on a reman unit. Sure, they try to check the cores over good, but it can be easy to miss a small problem, which can cause a headache when trying to install. If I had it to do all over again, I wouldn't hesitate to order the same new casting, from the same supplier. The same goes for the gasket set.
Old 03-24-2014, 03:42 AM   #13
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

Points 10,814, Level 68
Points: 10,814, Level: 68 Points: 10,814, Level: 68 Points: 10,814, Level: 68
Level Up 91% Completed
Level up: 91% Level up: 91% Level up: 91%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 72 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Good Work!

Talk about catching it just in time.....

If I knew it was THAT close routine - wouldn't have run it 'till fixed.

Good Car now, and a great find on the foglights - not easy to come by.

Cheers

S.R. #275
Old 03-24-2014, 12:51 PM   #14
crazy_urn
Capt. Urn

Fan#: 1986
What I Drive: 77 F-250, 10 HHR, 08 Outlook

FF Reputation: 5 crazy_urn Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulff45 View Post
If I had it to do all over again, I wouldn't hesitate to order the same new casting, from the same supplier. The same goes for the gasket set.
Thanks for the information. Glad the install went smoothly, and you caught the valve seat before it destroyed anything.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:14 PM   #15
Wulff45
Focus Rookie

Yeah, it was crazy close to having a scrap iron fit.....

The fog lights was just a fluke. I had already checked with a body shop supply and a new (repro) grill was $50, and the fog lights (also repro) were ~23 each. When I saw the OEM kit offered for $95, I added it to the watch list. A couple days later, it dropped to $80 (free shipping even), so I ordered it. They sold out within 24 hrs of when I ordered. Getting the wiring and headlight switch along with the grill and lights, all OEM Ford items, for less than cheapo repro items that I would have to wire up myself. Can't beat that.

Just placed another order for this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/290767278250...84.m1423.l2649
OEM rear spoiler, already painted the correct color, new in box for ~$72 with shipping. I can't buy the paint to spray a salvage yard or repro spoiler for $72.......
Old 03-25-2014, 01:18 AM   #16
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

Points 10,814, Level 68
Points: 10,814, Level: 68 Points: 10,814, Level: 68 Points: 10,814, Level: 68
Level Up 91% Completed
Level up: 91% Level up: 91% Level up: 91%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 72 sailor Excellent Standing Member
You're on a roll with all that good luck.

'course you made some of that luck by working at it, so I'll say "good work" again.

Should have bought those durn fogs long ago....

S.R. #275
Old 03-25-2014, 07:21 PM   #17
Wulff45
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
You're on a roll with all that good luck.

'course you made some of that luck by working at it, so I'll say "good work" again.

Should have bought those durn fogs long ago....
Those durn fogs are relisted, by the same seller. Claims to have 10 sets available...... Price is back at $95 though, so keep watching, and I bet it'll drop again.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=281294029256
Old 03-26-2014, 08:01 PM   #18
Wulff45
Focus Rookie

Right at noon today, USPS delivered a box with "Ford" on the outside. It was the fog light kit. Wasn't supposed to be here until tomorrow.
About an hour later, UPS showed up with another box marked "Ford". The spoiler......
Funny thing about the spoiler, I didn't get a shipping notice, tracking number, or anything prior to leaving for work this morning. 3 notices came in email sometime today.

Both items are just as advertised, NOS OEM dealer accessories, and the spoiler is the correct color for my car.
Guess I got more work to do this weekend.......

Oh, the car is running great.
Just need to score a 2nd set of factory alloys, for winter tires. Because rallycross. I'm tired of having to swap rally tires on/off at every event.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.