Built 2.3 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > DURATEC Performance (2003-2007)

DURATEC Performance (2003-2007) The place to chat about any Duratec 23, 23E, and 20 engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-11-2014, 12:04 AM   #1
msperber
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 80053
What I Drive: SCCA ITA 05 Focus ST racecar

FF Reputation: 3 msperber Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Built 2.3

Had my car on the dyno this weekend. Three years of running an SCCA prepped ITA 05 focus ST with a stock motor and just a tune and cosi header. Car has run great and we have worked a lot on suspension. The tune done by Tom has been perfect. The car always ran well and except for running out of driver talent we have alway been up close to the front.
Winter project, new motor. We punched a stock 2.3 out 20 over. Gave the head to Tom with new factory cams. Before anyone starts yelling, Scca rules say, stock cams, stock intake, exhaust is open. Port matching on intake and exhaust allowed one inch in on both sides. New springs and retainers, 3 angle valve job. Tom did all the work on the head. Wiesco pistons, we are allow .5 increase in compression. New crank, stock, Bds delete, windage tray, intake has flaps deleted. PVC and egr delete. Bolt it all up and bring it down to toms for a tune. The original tune got us started and she ran ok by the butt meter.
So what happened? First couldn't keep an idle and rapid decel car would just stall. Tom in minutes had it corrected with an idle screw adjustment which we over looked. Car up to temp and the first pull for base line. 160plus hp but the fuel maps all out of wack. To save some time, some dozen pulls later and almost 5 straight hours the car runs great. I still have work to do, as each pull showed how sensitive this motor is to operating temp. I also have to direct more air into the rad as opposed to letting it run to the sides. We set it up for 100 octane as I really like to think its a big time race car. Where did we finish, over 180hp and over 160tq with a flat line that starts at 3200 rpm and really never falls off until 7000rpm. What did we discover, the intake is limiting us as we have maxed out the maf with the present level of equipment and fuel maps. So lets change stuff, we brought a ported throttle body, Tom was very interested in doing back to back runs. Three minutes new tb on. Results, NOTHING. actually we lost a few hp. No other parameters were changed and we had the same operating temp up on the motor. Lets see, cai by cosworth leading directly to a ported tb and we went backwards. Disappointed there but able to prove a point with toms help. Intake is limiting this motor, not the tb.
Tom work for days on this project, head work and a full day at the dyno, his dyno and a ton of time with me on the phone insuring all the proper parts were sourced, installed and tuned properly. First race is at the end of the month, time and dollars spent, tons, was it worth it, well my butt meter says when I cross the 5k rpm mark its like a bat hits you in the butt. Gotta thank Tom for all his hard work, my buddy pat who does a ton of the hard stuff and visa for sponsoring me for at least another month.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2014, 02:02 AM   #2
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 68 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Excellent thread!

Tx for the info. AND the confirmation of what works/where the "limits" lie in near stock bolt on mod. configuration (yeah, I know the pistons helped)

Great results, cams/higher compression/intake only added 20 more ponies in prev. builds I've seen here.

Good luck on the track!

S.R. #275
Old 03-11-2014, 05:44 AM   #3
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

FF Reputation: 54 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
Excellent thread!

Tx for the info. AND the confirmation of what works/where the "limits" lie in near stock bolt on mod. configuration (yeah, I know the pistons helped)

Great results, cams/higher compression/intake only added 20 more ponies in prev. builds I've seen here.

Good luck on the track!
I 2nd it, thanx for the great write up. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
Old 03-13-2014, 03:37 PM   #4
Levi05
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89386
What I Drive: 2005 Liquid Gray ST

FF Reputation: 1 Levi05 Good Standing Member
Yup, good write up. ...now i want to build mine up a little more. my goal is to be around 180whp. Good to see it shouldn't be that hard. Yay. Question: you said the intake is limiting you, what part of it is? Would a bigger maf housing help or a different intake manifold?
Old 03-13-2014, 08:40 PM   #5
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

FF Reputation: 153 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
He needs a larger intake manifold

I want to note that the ported stock TB did nothing from 2000 to 7400 , NOT ONE HP.TQ gain at all
Ported stock TB just dont work , people please stop wasting your money buying these

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 03-13-2014, 09:02 PM   #6
Levi05
Focus Enthusiast

Thats good to know.

he was also running 100 octane fuel so how much power would that setup make on pump gas?
Also, how much were the various engine temps affecting power? And what was the ideal temp?
Old 03-13-2014, 09:22 PM   #7
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

FF Reputation: 153 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
I like to do the dyno runs at about 190 deg , engine temps do effect HP and TQ some but the biggest thing lower engine temps do is safety as a hotter engine is more prone to spark knock

I would say on 93 he would loose 4-6HP , I think he did a best of 184HP with a mix of 93/100 50/50

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 03-13-2014, 10:15 PM   #8
yellowhatch
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 126730
What I Drive: 2006 Yellow Focus ZX3 MTX

FF Reputation: 3 yellowhatch Good Standing Member
Very impressive!
Old 03-14-2014, 12:00 AM   #9
msperber
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 80053
What I Drive: SCCA ITA 05 Focus ST racecar

FF Reputation: 3 msperber Good Standing Member
2.3 build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi05 View Post
Yup, good write up. ...now i want to build mine up a little more. my goal is to be around 180whp. Good to see it shouldn't be that hard. Yay. Question: you said the intake is limiting you, what part of it is? Would a bigger maf housing help or a different intake manifold?
As I run SCCA the rules set specifically require stock intake manifold and TB. With toms help after a few track days and some more suspension upgrades worked out we may look at a diablo mafia piece for more adjustability, but as Tom indicated that requires all new fuel maps so I would like to see this package optimized to the fullest this race season.
Old 03-14-2014, 12:43 PM   #10
Levi05
Focus Enthusiast

And you are running stock cams too, right? So those are great numbers considering all the stock pieces. budget build here I come! Haha.

what compression are you running?

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->