Ford Focus Rear Speaker Issues... - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-07-2014, 11:36 AM   #1
Carlitoconga
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 146898
What I Drive: 2004 Silver Ford Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 Carlitoconga Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Arrow Ford Focus Rear Speaker Issues...

Hello everyone - I am new here....and actually the first time on any type of Forum.

I installed aftermarket rear speakers, in a 2004 Ford Focus - and as soon as i connected the new ones there was only a whisper of sound coming out of them!! I even tried to connect the OEM Speakers back to the car they would not work correctly either.
I made sure the fader settings were set to hear the rear speakers, checked the wire connections, tested the speakers in question all fine.
the front speakers, which I connected as well, are running perfectly. I disconnected the rear speakers entirely, and it has remained this way until now.
I don't know if there is a fuse blown. Being that this was working one minute literally and faulty the next. Please Help.

I have a 2004 Ford Focus SE 2.0
Sony XPlod Radio - 52w per channel - 17 RMS
4 Pioneer TS-A6885R 5x7/6x8 (Only 2 running perfectly in the front off of factory speaker wiring)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2014, 01:13 PM   #2
LordHades
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 145418
What I Drive: 2000 Grey ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 LordHades Good Standing Member
Do you know what model number the Sony headunit is? Some stereos have a low pass or high pass filter setting. If you have the low pass filter turned on and set to a really low frequency (say 50hz), the vocals will be very quite and you will only hear bass. Depending on the song you might not hear anything coming out of the speakers at all.
Old 03-07-2014, 01:19 PM   #3
Carlitoconga
Focus Rookie

I have a Sony Xplod Model - not sure of the actual model number. I have had the head unit for quite sometime - I have never seen anything like that at all....

Also this was running the factory speakers in the rear just fine....and is still running the Pioneers in the front.....Could it be that I mis wired something - It seems like there is not the same amount of Power going to the back as there is to the front.

There is some power....very, very little....
Old 03-07-2014, 01:25 PM   #4
FocusKnot
Focus Addict

Fan#: 117505
What I Drive: 2004 Red SE Wagon 2.0 Zetec Auto

Points 915, Level 16
Points: 915, Level: 16 Points: 915, Level: 16 Points: 915, Level: 16
Level Up 15% Completed
Level up: 15% Level up: 15% Level up: 15%
Forum Activity 6%
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%
FF Reputation: 3 FocusKnot Good Standing Member
Typically when this happens the fader is set to 2-speaker, but you say you have checked that.
To check your wiring, connect the rear speakers and then disconnect the speakers from the head unit. On the connector, measure the ohms for each speaker. You should get 4 ohms on each. If you do, then something is probably wrong at the head unit.
Old 03-07-2014, 01:33 PM   #5
LordHades
Focus Rookie

So the only thing you did was change the speakers in the car. The stereo was in the car running front and rear factory speakers just fine? Even if you get the positive and negative terminals switched (positive speaker wire on negative speaker terminal or vise versa) this would not cause this issue. The only other thing I could think of (besides the internal amp in the stereo went bad) is if you have a speaker wire touching the metal body of the car. Most aftermarket stereos have an internal circuit breaker for the internal amplifier. If a speaker wire is touching a ground source (body of the car). This would cause the circuit to trip and low or no sound to come out of the speakers. Depending on the grade of the stereo you could have 2 circuits in the stereo one for the fronts and one for the rears.
Old 03-07-2014, 01:35 PM   #6
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

Points 9,766, Level 66
Points: 9,766, Level: 66 Points: 9,766, Level: 66 Points: 9,766, Level: 66
Level Up 29% Completed
Level up: 29% Level up: 29% Level up: 29%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 70 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Moving this to our car audio section for more help.

Any chance the stereo was "On" while swapping the speakers?

S.R. #275
Old 03-07-2014, 02:29 PM   #7
Carlitoconga
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHades View Post
The only other thing I could think of (besides the internal amp in the stereo went bad) is if you have a speaker wire touching the metal body of the car. Most aftermarket stereos have an internal circuit breaker for the internal amplifier. If a speaker wire is touching a ground source (body of the car). This would cause the circuit to trip and low or no sound to come out of the speakers. Depending on the grade of the stereo you could have 2 circuits in the stereo one for the fronts and one for the rears.
the head unit does have a fuse on the back of it....i can check that out....but it does have only one fuse - and i dont think any of the speakers would be functional if it were tripped. I will check and change this fuse either way...just in case.

and no the radio was not on when changing the speakers.....I turned it out to test the first one in the rear installed....and the problem surfaced there....

there is a possibility that a cable may hav touched metal or eachother - there is always a possibility....I didnt witness that happening....
Old 03-07-2014, 03:12 PM   #8
LordHades
Focus Rookie

You are correct, if the fuse on the back of the stereo is blown the stereo won't work at all. What I'm talking about are internal circuits inside the stereo you won't be able to see them or change them. If it is a grounding issue that has tripped to internal circuit once the grounding issue is resolved you should be able to power off the stereo, wait like 30-45 seconds and then turn the stereo back on and the circuit should re-re-engage and the rear speakers should play at normal volume.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:05 AM   #9
Carlitoconga
Focus Rookie

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHades View Post
If it is a grounding issue that has tripped to internal circuit once the grounding issue is resolved you should be able to power off the stereo, wait like 30-45 seconds and then turn the stereo back on and the circuit should re-re-engage and the rear speakers should play at normal volume.
This was on the money - Seems to have a grounding issue. I basically removed all the door panels again - made the install neater....No current to anything at all.....tested each speaker as I went. Working perfectly now.....thanks LordHades, for the spot on advice.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:29 AM   #10
LordHades
Focus Rookie

Glad I could help you out. After 15+ years in the car audio industry you see and hear pretty much every DIY issue. Your grounding issue was nothing compared to some of the issues my boys have caused in their cars! Have fun blasting those tunes in your Focus!

Bookmarks & Social Networks