5sp manual perfection! - Page 8 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-26-2014, 08:41 AM   #71
Miller88
Focus Addict

Fan#: 73790
What I Drive: 2011 Focus SE 5 Speed

FF Reputation: 5 Miller88 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I am not a huge fan of the MTX-75. Hate it, actually. When I get rid of my Focus, if Ford is still using the MTX-75 ... I will not consider a Focus as a replacement.

1st gear is too tall - I should NOT have to slip the clutch to take off. I guess I am used to trucks with granny gears. 1st gear is just for getting the vehicle rolling. I have driven a bunch of vehicles that are (Spark, Mazda CX-5, Jeep Wrangler, Mirage, Versa) and I could just let the clutch out and start rolling.

5th gear is too short. My focus gets excellent mileage on the highway (low 40s is easy), but I would like it to be around 2000RPM at 65MPH or so.

Heel/toe is pretty easy on these! The pedals are super small and really close together.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2014, 09:58 AM   #72
awj03130
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 119356
What I Drive: 2013 Black Focus SE

FF Reputation: 0 awj03130 Newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetaDnB View Post
I get over 40mpg on the highway in the summer going 70mph (roughly 2850 rpms).
^^^ that blows my mind! I get 27.X mpg at 72 mph....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinarello Rider View Post
That's funny - I noticed it takes a long time for the revs to come down when shifting. Never thought about programming - I thought it was a heavy flywheel.

As far as heel & toeing, I guess I don't expect much from a pedestrian car like the Focus when it comes to heel & toe. I have struggled to get to do that in any car, but the Focus is the first one that I've been able to do even a whisper of H&T. I have no issues rev matching and whatnot, tho. I had an Evo8 and couldn't get a smooth, consistent launch for the life of me, even during just regular commuting in traffic.
Funny you mention the flywheel - that was my exact thought too until I was downshifting one day and looked at my tach (usually just go by sound) and saw that after ripping up the highway on-ramp and trying to jump to 3rd, it was "stuck" at about 5k then 3k... I had modified my evo very heavily and was quite familiar with tranny feel (double ceramic clutch with alum. lightweight flywheel) and this was some whole other different beast... Shouldn't pause, just drop slowly. It was a problem the Evo IX suffered from.

On the H&T thing, for some reason we've had opposite experiences... Teach me! Every car, even grocery-getters shouldn't have to deal with lurchy gear engagement!

And on launching the Evo...

The only time I would get a smooth start was when my girlfriend-at-the-time's mom was in the car, mercifully. Of course that was 638AWHP with no rear seats or stereo.....
Old 03-26-2014, 10:57 AM   #73
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

FF Reputation: 47 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
I'm pretty sure the MTX-75 has been used on all of the generations of Focus, but at least the Mk1 for sure. Unless they changed gear ratios inside it over the years, you are actually happy about the Mk3's more powerful engine to match it.

FocusFest 2013: Best of Show
Gateway FFW: Show Class Outstanding
September '13 ROTM
2014 FiST-
Old 03-26-2014, 11:04 AM   #74
bshin352
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114147
What I Drive: 2013 Tux Black Ti Sedan, DCT

FF Reputation: 1 bshin352 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by awj03130 View Post
^^^ that blows my mind! I get 27.X mpg at 72 mph....

You must be one of those fellows with MJ sized shoe.....that's abysmal at 72
Old 03-26-2014, 11:09 AM   #75
RonMaiden
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 99230
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Metallic Hatch SE

FF Reputation: 6 RonMaiden Good Standing Member
27mpg hwy at 72mph? I get that around town with many short trips but out on the hwy across very flat Nebraska easily keeping it between 75-90 with a few jaunts into triple digits I averaged just under 34mpg.

The only complaint I have with the 5 speed is the clutch engagment is a bit high off the floor compared to my STI otherwise it is a decent little tranny.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:29 AM   #76
BetaDnB
Drum n Bass Lover

Fan#: 87466
What I Drive: 2012 Silver SE Sport

FF Reputation: 11 BetaDnB Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonMaiden View Post
The only complaint I have with the 5 speed is the clutch engagment is a bit high off the floor compared to my STI otherwise it is a decent little tranny.
The clutch engagment is a bit high off the floor compared to any other MT I've driven. And that's a lot. Even the ST has the low-to-floor engagement point.
Sedan Revolution #249 - 2012 SE Sport - ╠╬╝ - Ingot Silver - 201A - K&N w/ snorkel delete - Blox Type R Knob
Old 03-26-2014, 11:37 AM   #77
Eminaga
Focus Addict

Fan#: 123953
What I Drive: 2014 Focus SE (Performance Blue)

FF Reputation: 1 Eminaga Good Standing Member
it has longer 2nd gear then most manual cars these days. I can go over 60 by hitting the limiter. 5th gear is a bit short I must agree on that. Also the guy that thinks he needs to slip his clutch to get going, something must be wrong because I usualy just let out the clutch without giving it gas and the car goes just fine. You should not have to slip the clutch on take off, atleast on my car.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:37 AM   #78
awj03130
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 119356
What I Drive: 2013 Black Focus SE

FF Reputation: 0 awj03130 Newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshin352 View Post
You must be one of those fellows with MJ sized shoe.....that's abysmal at 72
Shockingly, thats with cruise on. 32 at best. Ive only had it since october though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonMaiden View Post
^^^ agreed. However, with the caveat that it IS a grocery getter. I love clutches with tiny engagement zones which are just hairs off the floor, but I understand that's not the norm for a car with 2-point harnesses hahaha. That being said, I actually really like my clutch compared to the 2012 STI that my younger brother has. I find it to be an indescript, squishy slip point.
Old 04-19-2014, 11:00 PM   #79
Miller88
Focus Addict

Fan#: 73790
What I Drive: 2011 Focus SE 5 Speed

FF Reputation: 5 Miller88 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetaDnB View Post
The clutch engagment is a bit high off the floor compared to any other MT I've driven. And that's a lot. Even the ST has the low-to-floor engagement point.
I have noticed that too. GuessI'm not the only one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eminaga View Post
it has longer 2nd gear then most manual cars these days. I can go over 60 by hitting the limiter. 5th gear is a bit short I must agree on that. Also the guy that thinks he needs to slip his clutch to get going, something must be wrong because I usualy just let out the clutch without giving it gas and the car goes just fine. You should not have to slip the clutch on take off, atleast on my car.
I have a 2011. I believe the 2.0 Ti-VCT makes more low end torque and is probably able to do so. But if you let out the clutch slooooow, it'll still stall.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:20 AM   #80
Pinarello Rider
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102280
What I Drive: 2012 Red Focus SE 5sp 5dr sport

FF Reputation: 1 Pinarello Rider Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller88 View Post
I am not a huge fan of the MTX-75. Hate it, actually. When I get rid of my Focus, if Ford is still using the MTX-75 ... I will not consider a Focus as a replacement.

1st gear is too tall - I should NOT have to slip the clutch to take off. I guess I am used to trucks with granny gears. 1st gear is just for getting the vehicle rolling. I have driven a bunch of vehicles that are (Spark, Mazda CX-5, Jeep Wrangler, Mirage, Versa) and I could just let the clutch out and start rolling.

5th gear is too short. My focus gets excellent mileage on the highway (low 40s is easy), but I would like it to be around 2000RPM at 65MPH or so.

Heel/toe is pretty easy on these! The pedals are super small and really close together.
Seriously? Every car ive driven with a clutch is jerky - if you dont outright stall - if you don't slip the clutch. 95 BMW 540i, 01 Audi A4, 99 Ferrari F355, 04 Evo, 01 WRX (with the vague shifting), 07 MAZDA3, 01 M5, and 12 Ford Focus. That list includes V8's, turbo 4s and NA Fords. Maybe ive been doing it wrong all these years...?

Bookmarks & Social Networks