5sp manual perfection! - Page 7 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-23-2014, 02:23 PM   #61
Pinarello Rider
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102280
What I Drive: 2012 Red Focus SE 5sp 5dr sport

FF Reputation: 1 Pinarello Rider Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I'm going to echo the sentiments of the OP. Ford has done a great job with this engine and transmission. It is very smooth, and when rowing through the gears properly, it's easy to get at the good power of the engine. It is better than my 01 A4, and more forgiving that my Evo8. My wife has a 07 Mazda3 and if it weren't for a super tall 2nd gear, would be good as well. I've spent a lot of time with a Ferrari F355 and really enjoed the gates on that. I spent a couple of days with an M5 on a race track only and found that to be quite good as well. Obviously, I would choose the Ferrari for the M5, but for an "everyman" car, this MK3 Focus is quite nice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2014, 04:32 PM   #62
mavic
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 120115
What I Drive: 2012 ford focus SEL white 5sp M

FF Reputation: 1 mavic Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinarello Rider View Post
I'm going to echo the sentiments of the OP. Ford has done a great job with this engine and transmission. It is very smooth, and when rowing through the gears properly, it's easy to get at the good power of the engine. It is better than my 01 A4, and more forgiving that my Evo8. My wife has a 07 Mazda3 and if it weren't for a super tall 2nd gear, would be good as well. I've spent a lot of time with a Ferrari F355 and really enjoed the gates on that. I spent a couple of days with an M5 on a race track only and found that to be quite good as well. Obviously, I would choose the Ferrari for the M5, but for an "everyman" car, this MK3 Focus is quite nice.
indeed, :) i just wanted to point out, for those who have not had the opportunity to try out other 5spd 4cyl cars how lucky we are to have such a great tranny, and very usable daily driver gear ratios. sure there are better transmissions for the track, but for the street, i love it!
Old 03-24-2014, 06:44 PM   #63
ST 2K5
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 44631
What I Drive: 2013 Tuxedo Black SE Sedan 5speed

FF Reputation: 6 ST 2K5 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (22)
I personally haven't driven my Focus as aggressively as the OP... Popping into 3rd gear while cruising at 65 mph seems aggressive for passing. I do agree when rolling threw the gears and shifting right at the sweet spot does put a smile on my face.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:17 PM   #64
bshin352
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114147
What I Drive: 2013 Tux Black Ti Sedan, DCT

FF Reputation: 1 bshin352 Good Standing Member
could you imagine if they ever put a 7sp in these?
not an autotragic either. a row your own 7 spd.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:32 PM   #65
Pinarello Rider
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshin352 View Post
could you imagine if they ever put a 7sp in these?
not an autotragic either. a row your own 7 spd.
A 7 speed? It's not a GT, you know? Rowing through 7 gears on my way to work would suck big monkey toe nails. Gad - I have sections where if I get the lights wrong, it's STOP -> 55 -> STOP -> 55 rinse repeat. I like a manual and all, but
Old 03-25-2014, 12:40 PM   #66
Pinarello Rider
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST 2K5 View Post
I personally haven't driven my Focus as aggressively as the OP... Popping into 3rd gear while cruising at 65 mph seems aggressive for passing. I do agree when rolling threw the gears and shifting right at the sweet spot does put a smile on my face.
Come on, man, get after it!!! It's a car - it can take it. Dropping to third gear to pass on the highway ain't a bad idea. Get stuck behind a tractor trailer and need to get around, stomping it in 5th gear is just going to bog you down. 5th gear isn't meant for accelerating, it's made to cruise at highway speeds. Go ahead, hit the rev limited, you won't hurt anything.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:55 PM   #67
bshin352
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114147
What I Drive: 2013 Tux Black Ti Sedan, DCT

FF Reputation: 1 bshin352 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinarello Rider View Post
A 7 speed? It's not a GT, you know? Rowing through 7 gears on my way to work would suck big monkey toe nails. Gad - I have sections where if I get the lights wrong, it's STOP -> 55 -> STOP -> 55 rinse repeat. I like a manual and all, but
Oh I could see it now.... Lol. 1-2-3-4 stoplight, rinse and repeat. Just a funny thought.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:42 AM   #68
awj03130
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 119356
What I Drive: 2013 Black Focus SE

FF Reputation: 0 awj03130 Newbie
Coming from a 6-speed Evo IX MR and 5-speed Mini Cooper, I feel that the tranny snicks though gears very well but has a few bugs:

-2nd is a little short
-5th isn't long enough for 70mph and good mpg

But...

The Focus faces the most massive shift-related issues I have ever faced in any manual vehicle I have ever driven, including race cars (from Mustangs to Formula 2000 to Group N rally cars), motorcycles and ATVs ...

1. The idiot who decided to program the throttle to "pause" at certain rpm's when dropping revs hasn't been fired from Ford and forced to spend years in a North Korean "Morale Camp"

And

2. They placed the accelerator pedal so far away from the brake you either need to LITERALLY heel and toe or LITERALLY have Shaq's shoe size to downshift well.
Old 03-26-2014, 06:40 AM   #69
BetaDnB
Drum n Bass Lover

Fan#: 87466
What I Drive: 2012 Silver SE Sport

FF Reputation: 11 BetaDnB Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by awj03130 View Post
-2nd is a little short
-5th isn't long enough for 70mph and good mpg
I agree with your second gear statement, but I get over 40mpg on the highway in the summer going 70mph (roughly 2850 rpms). What more can you ask for from a 2L GDI engine that produces 160hp?
Sedan Revolution #249 - 2012 SE Sport - ╠╬╝ - Ingot Silver - 201A - K&N w/ snorkel delete - Blox Type R Knob
Old 03-26-2014, 08:07 AM   #70
Pinarello Rider
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by awj03130 View Post

But...

The Focus faces the most massive shift-related issues I have ever faced in any manual vehicle I have ever driven, including race cars (from Mustangs to Formula 2000 to Group N rally cars), motorcycles and ATVs ...

1. The idiot who decided to program the throttle to "pause" at certain rpm's when dropping revs hasn't been fired from Ford and forced to spend years in a North Korean "Morale Camp"

And

2. They placed the accelerator pedal so far away from the brake you either need to LITERALLY heel and toe or LITERALLY have Shaq's shoe size to downshift well.
That's funny - I noticed it takes a long time for the revs to come down when shifting. Never thought about programming - I thought it was a heavy flywheel.

As far as heel & toeing, I guess I don't expect much from a pedestrian car like the Focus when it comes to heel & toe. I have struggled to get to do that in any car, but the Focus is the first one that I've been able to do even a whisper of H&T. I have no issues rev matching and whatnot, tho. I had an Evo8 and couldn't get a smooth, consistent launch for the life of me, even during just regular commuting in traffic. Maybe I shouldn't be driving a manual...

Bookmarks & Social Networks