5sp manual perfection! - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-07-2014, 10:56 AM   #1
mavic
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 120115
What I Drive: 2012 ford focus SEL white 5sp M

FF Reputation: 1 mavic Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Talking 5sp manual perfection!

i want you guy's opinion out there that have the 5 sp manual.

i currently have the 2012 sel 5 sp.

i have come to the conclusion that ford chose the the best possible gear ratio for our cars, to get the best possible "usable" power out of our 2.0.

The first time i noticed this, was then passing someone on the highway.

example:

cruising at 65 mph, if i want to pass, i'll drop it in 3rd, car lands in the perfect RPM range with enough revs left to pass ( 3rd runs out of room around 90 mph or so).

now this is what really impressed me with the focus gear ratio.

in the past i have owned , 2000 Toyota Celica GT ( 140hp 5spd) and 2000 Acura Integra (140hp 5sp) , so i will use those cars as examples:

if i tried to do the same downshift on those cars, "drop it in 3rd going 65 mph" the cars would land way too close to redline. (making the downshift useless the celica & integra 3rd gear would run out around 80 mph).

Cruising at 65 mph my only option was to shift down to 4th, which then the car would bog down, not enough power/revs.

Now to get the same kind of power for passing on highway speeds with those cars (celica & integra)
i would have to slow down to 55 mph, THEN drop it into 3rd, to get usable power out of the 3rd gear, which kind of made the 3rd useless, or frustrating to work with.

i want to know if anyone has had a similar experience, overall i am really impressed with the 5sp, i hear a lot of people complaining/wanting the 6spd, but me i'm perfectly satisfied with the usability of our 5spd.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2014, 10:57 AM   #2
mavic
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

i find this makes the cars power more usable, and friendlier/safer for passing on highway.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:12 AM   #3
Eminaga
Focus Addict

Fan#: 123953
What I Drive: 2014 Focus SE (Performance Blue)

FF Reputation: 1 Eminaga Good Standing Member
I want 6th gear. If the gears were a bit shorter the car would probably be a bit faster. I do like the spacing on the gears tho.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:19 AM   #4
mavic
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eminaga View Post
I want 6th gear. If the gears were a bit shorter the car would probably be a bit faster. I do like the spacing on the gears tho.
i agree that a 6th gear would be nice, but i was only trying to point out, that this is one of the best 5 spd i have ever used

on your second comment, i'm not so sure it would make it that much faster

Use the Integra GSR as an example 170hp car

GS-R run's 1/4 mile stock anywheres between 15.5s-16.0s and 0-60 in 7.1s
which is pretty much identical to our cars

the reason i mention this, the gsr, does have a closer gear ratio then our focus
Old 03-07-2014, 11:25 AM   #5
BetaDnB
Drum n Bass Lover

Fan#: 87466
What I Drive: 2012 Silver SE Sport

FF Reputation: 11 BetaDnB Great Standing Member
Somebody figured it out a long time ago that a 6th gear wouldn't be of any benefit to our cars. My question is; who downshifts while passing on the highway? There's plenty of usable power in 5th gear at 65mph and there's no reason to speed up while passing on the highway.
Sedan Revolution #249 - 2012 SE Sport - ╠╬╝ - Ingot Silver - 201A - K&N w/ snorkel delete - Blox Type R Knob
Old 03-07-2014, 11:31 AM   #6
mavic
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

where i live, there's a lot of highway, not freeway, (single lane passing)
a lot of twist and turns, last thing you want is to be spending time in the opposite lane
on a freeway (4 lane) i'll rarely if ever downshift, like you said plenty of power in the 5th for freeway use

I don't necessarily speed up
the main point of my original post, was to point out the usability of our 3rd gear is, and how i thought ford did a good job on the gear ratio
Just so you know i rarely if ever speed
but if i need to pass, i know that i have a more usable transmission for real driving situations.

it's not really safe to spend , 5-10 seconds in the opposite lane when trying to pass someone on a highway (NOT freeway)
Old 03-07-2014, 11:40 AM   #7
BetaDnB
Drum n Bass Lover

Fan#: 87466
What I Drive: 2012 Silver SE Sport

FF Reputation: 11 BetaDnB Great Standing Member
I see what you're saying now. We just call the 2 lane roads "roads". We don't really call our highways freeways because most of them aren't free. At least where I am.
Sedan Revolution #249 - 2012 SE Sport - ╠╬╝ - Ingot Silver - 201A - K&N w/ snorkel delete - Blox Type R Knob
Old 03-07-2014, 11:42 AM   #8
leavingmarks
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 139145
What I Drive: 2013 Tuxedo Black SE Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 leavingmarks Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetaDnB View Post
Somebody figured it out a long time ago that a 6th gear wouldn't be of any benefit to our cars. My question is; who downshifts while passing on the highway? There's plenty of usable power in 5th gear at 65mph and there's no reason to speed up while passing on the highway.
5th gear lacks immediate acceleration. If passing someone on the highway, however I usually stay in 5th or downshift to 4th to pass someone. Also traveling at 65mph in 3rd gear would get horrible mpg.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:45 AM   #9
mavic
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingmarks View Post
5th gear lacks immediate acceleration. If passing someone on the highway, however I usually stay in 5th or downshift to 4th to pass someone. Also traveling at 65mph in 3rd gear would get horrible mpg.

again, sorry if i didn't explain myself properly, i don't cruise in 3rd gear
i'll be spending maybe 3-4 second's in 3rd gear, just long enough to pass, and get out of opposite traffic.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:46 AM   #10
mavic
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetaDnB View Post
I see what you're saying now. We just call the 2 lane roads "roads". We don't really call our highways freeways because most of them aren't free. At least where I am.
haha yeah thats what we call it here in Canada, well at least on the east coast ( maritimes )

Bookmarks & Social Networks