OBX-R header review for Duratec - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > DURATEC Performance (2003-2007)

DURATEC Performance (2003-2007) The place to chat about any Duratec 23, 23E, and 20 engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-06-2014, 04:28 PM   #11
yellowhatch
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 126730
What I Drive: 2006 Yellow Focus ZX3 MTX

Points 843, Level 15
Points: 843, Level: 15 Points: 843, Level: 15 Points: 843, Level: 15
Level Up 44% Completed
Level up: 44% Level up: 44% Level up: 44%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 3 yellowhatch Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phestezio View Post
Very nice info Yellowhatch you obviously know a good bit of what your talking about haha :) and you know the importance of tuning, something alot of people just don't seem to understand.

however, and don't take this the wrong way, but I wouldn't run the F2 header simply for placement of the O2 bungs, it is great as a header that won't throw a CEL but I believe the OBX or FSW header is a better choice. Yes they only have 1 O2 bung so you will delete 2 of your O2 sensors and only run the upstream O2 sensor, which is the only one you need, plus your wideband sensor which you will need to add a bung for. I believe the main issue with the F2 header is the fact that the upstream bung is placed on an individual runner and the center bung is also placed on a separate individual runner, so there is actually only 1 bung on the collector which is where you would want your upstream sensor to get an accurate reading from all 4 cylinders, not just 1.

Personally I think it would be more accurate only having 1 bung on the collector for the upstream O2 sensor, and then getting another bung welded to your flexpipe. That will place your wideband sensor at almost the perfect distance downstream from the head. You don't want it to close because you will burn it out very quickly and too far away and your accuracy falls off. I just installed an older Focussport header about a month ago and thats exactly what I did. I recommend the AEM UEGO wideband, its only $150 and comes with the wideband O2 sensor and the gauge pod which has the wideband controller built in as well as another O2 bung for you to have welded in where you want it. I just took my flexpipe off and marked where I wanted it and took it up to a local exhaust shop and got him to weld it in for me, cost $20
No definitely don't take that the wrong way, only as new knowledge. Thank you. I will go that route then, I always wanted to know the optimal placement of sensors.

Quote:
The one I bought had a 2.5" collector and downpipe. Where did you hear that they were 2.25"?

Then again, I bought one of the first ones in 08. Wouldnt be surprised if something changed since then.

OP- glad you like it! Its a quality header.
Going to correct myself downpipe is 2.5" it is the flexpipe that is 2.5" when coming from the header and then for some reason reduces to 2.25" when bolting into the exhaust pipe flange. EDIT: Correcting myself again lol, flexpipe/downpipe are the same thing but yeah inlet is 2.5, outlet is 2.25 on obx flex/downpipe. Pardon my ignorance still learning lol.

Last edited by yellowhatch; 03-06-2014 at 11:15 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2014, 09:01 PM   #12
yellowhatch
Focus Enthusiast

Points 843, Level 15
Level Up 44% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
@Phestezio: One more question, what about the lowest bung on the F2 header for wideband placement? I remember it sitting fairly low iirc. Also how do numbers compare from people running the F2 vs the 1 bung designs (OBX etc.)? Thanks again.

Old 03-06-2014, 09:44 PM   #13
Conflicted Chaos
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 118009
What I Drive: 05 Focus ZX4 Sedan - 94 Accord VTEC

Points 457, Level 9
Points: 457, Level: 9 Points: 457, Level: 9 Points: 457, Level: 9
Level Up 14% Completed
Level up: 14% Level up: 14% Level up: 14%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 1 Conflicted Chaos Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
I heard that the F2 header is a solid piece, but I'd be weary to buy one because the manufacturer went out of business. Obx offers a lifetime warranty on all of their products, and we all know FSWerks reputation speaks for itself.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:48 PM   #14
Phestezio
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97562
What I Drive: 2007 Oxford White ZX3

Points 1,268, Level 19
Points: 1,268, Level: 19 Points: 1,268, Level: 19 Points: 1,268, Level: 19
Level Up 68% Completed
Level up: 68% Level up: 68% Level up: 68%
Forum Activity 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
FF Reputation: 4 Phestezio Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Oh wow I haven't looked at that header in a long time, I forgot that NONE of the bungs are on the collector. I wouldn't put your wideband in any of those bungs, I just don't think any of the O2 sensors would be nearly as accurate being placed on separate runners like that they would be so much more accurate being placed on the actual collector or just behind it where the sensors will get a reading from all 4 cylinders. If I were to use that one I would plug all 3 of those holes and weld 2 bungs in my flexpipe. But that is just me, there are people out there that run that header with those O2 placement but I don't like it since each sensor only gets to read 1 cylinder. As far as numbers go I don't think there would really be any difference, they should both give you roughly the same gains. I was going to use the OBX header myself but the day I went to buy it I ran across a slightly used FSW header for a steal, but if that didn't happen the OBX header is about the best bang for your buck out there.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:29 PM   #15
yellowhatch
Focus Enthusiast

Points 843, Level 15
Level Up 44% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
Quote:
Oh wow I haven't looked at that header in a long time, I forgot that NONE of the bungs are on the collector. I wouldn't put your wideband in any of those bungs, I just don't think any of the O2 sensors would be nearly as accurate being placed on separate runners like that they would be so much more accurate being placed on the actual collector or just behind it where the sensors will get a reading from all 4 cylinders. If I were to use that one I would plug all 3 of those holes and weld 2 bungs in my flexpipe. But that is just me, there are people out there that run that header with those O2 placement but I don't like it since each sensor only gets to read 1 cylinder. As far as numbers go I don't think there would really be any difference, they should both give you roughly the same gains. I was going to use the OBX header myself but the day I went to buy it I ran across a slightly used FSW header for a steal, but if that didn't happen the OBX header is about the best bang for your buck out there.
Looks like this thread answered all my questions. Even though in the perfect world that makes a lot of sense Tom's data says otherwise. It was pretty much open/shut in this thread: http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...=218730&page=2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1turbofocus
Where do people come up with all this stuff

The main o2 is there for idle cruise and part throttle and any of the holes work fine for the factory o2 all the injectors fire the same amount of fuel so there is no need for one pipe vs another to be used or a collector

In a perfect world I would use the collector but from a lot of testing and seeing what the o2 in one cyl ,there does not seem to be any issues doing it with o2 in one cyl pipe

The wide band o2 I would like to see in the lower hole of the header and it also will be fine , leave the top one plugged and go have fun , watch your AF VERY closely as most all the 08/09 I have tuned show the Dura going very lean with about any mods

Tom
Looks like I am going to run with the F2 so I don't have weld up extra bungs. Wideband O2 in lower and primary O2 in second hole, first hole plugged. What you said makes perfect sense but apparantly it seems to make little difference on our cars. Thanks again.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:08 PM   #16
Phestezio
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97562
What I Drive: 2007 Oxford White ZX3

Points 1,268, Level 19
Points: 1,268, Level: 19 Points: 1,268, Level: 19 Points: 1,268, Level: 19
Level Up 68% Completed
Level up: 68% Level up: 68% Level up: 68%
Forum Activity 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
FF Reputation: 4 Phestezio Good Standing Member
Yeah I didn't think it would make much of a difference since there are people out there that are running that header and as long as you have something to tune off of it could be done, Tom would know best because he has had the time to test and tune with that header. just for me personally I wouldn't want to run that one its fast and cheap enough to get bungs welded where I want them, and even though it makes little difference I still think the O2's, especially the wideband, would be more accurate in the collector. Like tom said, in a perfect world I would use the collector. Even though there don't seem to be any issues with reading 1 cylinder only

Can't wait to see what you do with the car, I remember you joining FF a few months ago and when you made that SRI for your car, seems like your ideas on what to do with the car have changed a bit haha :) in a good way, maybe i'll see you on the caravan on the way to FocusFest this year.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:10 PM   #17
yellowhatch
Focus Enthusiast

Points 843, Level 15
Level Up 44% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
Quote:
Yeah I didn't think it would make much of a difference since there are people out there that are running that header and as long as you have something to tune off of it could be done, Tom would know best because he has had the time to test and tune with that header. just for me personally I wouldn't want to run that one its fast and cheap enough to get bungs welded where I want them, and even though it makes little difference I still think the O2's, especially the wideband, would be more accurate in the collector. Like tom said, in a perfect world I would use the collector. Even though there don't seem to be any issues with reading 1 cylinder only

Can't wait to see what you do with the car, I remember you joining FF a few months ago and when you made that SRI for your car, seems like your ideas on what to do with the car have changed a bit haha :) in a good way, maybe i'll see you on the caravan on the way to FocusFest this year.
Well I have great mentors such as you guys passing on knowledge so I tend to learn new things. Yeah I have a mind like a woman sometimes LOL saying I'll do one thing and then changing my mind the next. This car is already fun to drive and zippy so I thought I would be more than happy with cam/header setup even if it's not a dragstrip winner. There is something fun about a strong n/a, almost like it's a forgotten art (though I understand turbos do more for less effort).
Old 03-10-2014, 11:58 AM   #18
Levi05
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89386
What I Drive: 2005 Liquid Gray ST

Points 727, Level 14
Points: 727, Level: 14 Points: 727, Level: 14 Points: 727, Level: 14
Level Up 27% Completed
Level up: 27% Level up: 27% Level up: 27%
Forum Activity 1%
FF Reputation: 1 Levi05 Good Standing Member
The flex steps down to 2.25"? Lame. Do other flex pipes fit? ...cuz otherwise the obx is a tempting choice.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:20 PM   #19
Conflicted Chaos
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 118009
What I Drive: 05 Focus ZX4 Sedan - 94 Accord VTEC

Points 457, Level 9
Points: 457, Level: 9 Points: 457, Level: 9 Points: 457, Level: 9
Level Up 14% Completed
Level up: 14% Level up: 14% Level up: 14%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 1 Conflicted Chaos Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi05 View Post
The flex steps down to 2.25"? Lame. Do other flex pipes fit? ...cuz otherwise the obx is a tempting choice.
I really think the OBX flex pipes are 2.5". I haven't measured them personally but they bolted right up to my FSWerks exhaust flush, which I know is definitely 2.5".
Old 03-10-2014, 05:03 PM   #20
yellowhatch
Focus Enthusiast

Points 843, Level 15
Level Up 44% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi05 View Post
The OBX header is an excellent choice. The runners and collector are just as a good as any other header and the quality is real nice from OBX these days. It is only the flexpipe that necks down, it still will bolt up just fine. I guess that would be a hinderance if you are running 2.5"-3" exhaust but since my HKS is 2.36" I rather keep everything smooth and not have any sudden changes/turbulence hurting my velocity. So a 2.25" running into my 2.36" is perfect. And yes other flexpipes from Duratec headers do in fact fit. You can run any flexpipe you want, I am going to run an F2 header/OBX flexpipe combo. I don't know if sizes changed since this thread.

Here are pictures and a thread on it: http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=268614

Quote:
I really think the OBX flex pipes are 2.5". I haven't measured them personally but they bolted right up to my FSWerks exhaust flush, which I know is definitely 2.5".
Yes everything will line up and bolt-in fine regardless.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.