200 whp? - Page 6 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > Drag Racing

Drag Racing The place to discuss information about drag racing stats, tips and events. Track sanctioned events only.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-09-2014, 06:13 PM   #51
4mikebruns
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 119661
What I Drive: 2014 SGM DCT Focus SE (sedan)

FF Reputation: 2 4mikebruns Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingfocus View Post
Yep I always see GTI comparo against modded Focus or Fiesta ST. The GTI is not the fastest thing out there but it blows any Focus out of the water ST included. The 197 Fiesta ST is no match for an MK5 GTI nor an MK6.
Mk7 comes out later this year and theres a performance option from.the factory for 225hp and 250ish tq. Its gonna be a great car just like the MK6. Personally i dont like the MK4 or MK5 the MK5 had the garbage FSI MOTOR. The new R was a fail too...its not much faster than a gti cause of the awd robbing top end. I hope to god they bring the 3.2 six back. What would be awesome is to see a R36 golf.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2014, 06:26 PM   #52
sterlingfocus
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 115490
What I Drive: 2013 Focus se

FF Reputation: 1 sterlingfocus Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mikebruns View Post
Mk7 comes out later this year and theres a performance option from.the factory for 225hp and 250ish tq. Its gonna be a great car just like the MK6. Personally i dont like the MK4 or MK5 the MK5 had the garbage FSI MOTOR. The new R was a fail too...its not much faster than a gti cause of the awd robbing top end. I hope to god they bring the 3.2 six back. What would be awesome is to see a R36 golf.
The FSI got me sick that's why I got the Focus has a DD replacement I still have my FSI but it's running a BT setup. At least the Ford's dont have that stupid Christmas tree going on in the dash. Slow car but handling is good and mostly RELIABLE. In 2011 I rented a 2012 Focus SEL for 3 months while my broken GTI was parked in my driveway. I loved it so much that I bought one a year later and never looked back what a great car.
Old 03-09-2014, 06:36 PM   #53
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

FF Reputation: 47 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Yep I always see people comparing GTI's against modded Focus or Fiesta ST. The GTI is not the fastest thing out there but it blows any Focus out of the water ST included. The 197 Fiesta ST is no match for an MK5 GTI nor an MK6. Being honest I'd be happy to see my car hang with Mazda 3's 2.5, BRZ, Veloster , Cruze Turbo
My unmodified Focus had a tough time keeping up with my battle-tank Armada. TQ does a lot of good things and HP is just math based on TQ.

Besides, I don't really see what the point is of comparing modified models to unmodified models. If I want a car as fast as a GTI then I buy a GTI... It's very similar to the arguments posed by some that instead of buying a ST you should buy an old ZX3 and just boost it.

At C&C this weekend a MS3 guy and his buddy were talking about how close their cars were relatively in performance. One does some mods and gets the edge, then the other does some mods and catches up or gets the edge. Actual legitimate competition. Realistically speaking, if I'm within the power of an OEM ST, all he has to do is get a tune and it's game over. Kinda pointless imho.

FocusFest 2013: Best of Show
Gateway FFW: Show Class Outstanding
September '13 ROTM
2014 FiST-
Old 03-09-2014, 06:48 PM   #54
sterlingfocus
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn085 View Post
My unmodified Focus had a tough time keeping up with my battle-tank Armada. TQ does a lot of good things and HP is just math based on TQ.

Besides, I don't really see what the point is of comparing modified models to unmodified models. If I want a car as fast as a GTI then I buy a GTI... It's very similar to the arguments posed by some that instead of buying a ST you should buy an old ZX3 and just boost it.

At C&C this weekend a MS3 guy and his buddy were talking about how close their cars were relatively in performance. One does some mods and gets the edge, then the other does some mods and catches up or gets the edge. Actual legitimate competition. Realistically speaking, if I'm within the power of an OEM ST, all he has to do is get a tune and it's game over. Kinda pointless imho.
Not really comparing but IMO 190 whp could achievable but the tradeoffs are not Worth it IMO(No warranty, rice rocket sounding car, cost, bad resale value, tougher to sell). I would just go your route which is focusing on the look some suspension and keep the engine relatively stock CAI tune and I would call it a day. Want a fast car? These guys that want 190 whp and up these guys should trade up and get an ST. Even tunes are risky per exemple VW AUDI TD1 flags directly and ADIOS warranty. Same goes for Ford. All that trouble to run with Civic Si's? Really? Maybe I'm getting old
Old 03-09-2014, 07:19 PM   #55
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

FF Reputation: 47 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Don't get me wrong, I agree with modifying vehicles and think 190 is achievable as well. The trade-offs are what they are and only the end-user can decide if it's worth it to them. I just don't understand trying to only be able to be even with the entry-point of the next performance level.

The Mk3 is a great car for what it is and I really enjoy mine. At some point we will have them over 200. It won't be today or tomorrow, but it will happen eventually. But I agree that those that want performance should be looking at the ST.

I actually have a relatively quick Mk3 (intake, exhaust, tune, wheels/tires), but I didn't build mine for racing.

FocusFest 2013: Best of Show
Gateway FFW: Show Class Outstanding
September '13 ROTM
2014 FiST-
Old 03-09-2014, 07:26 PM   #56
sterlingfocus
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

To the OP the 200 whp that you're aiming for will be expensive void your warranty and mess up your car. You just got the car a week ago. IMO pick up a Fox body and throw some mild mods on the Focus while it's Under warranty. I can't see the Focus being a drag car while AutoX would be tons of fun. Even tracking a slow car can be fun.
Old 03-09-2014, 07:38 PM   #57
goingtoscotland
Focus Addict

Fan#: 132001
What I Drive: '14 Tuxedo Black HB, 05 Kawi ZX-10R

FF Reputation: 6 goingtoscotland Good Standing Member
Driving a slow car fast is more fun than driving a fast car slow.
Old 03-09-2014, 07:44 PM   #58
SlickWilly
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 116476
What I Drive: 2009 Ford Focus SES Sangria Red

FF Reputation: 5 SlickWilly Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
To the OP the 200 whp that you're aiming for will be expensive void your warranty and mess up your car. You just got the car a week ago. IMO pick up a Fox body and throw some mild mods on the Focus while it's Under warranty. I can't see the Focus being a drag car while AutoX would be tons of fun. Even tracking a slow car can be fun.
Fox body Mustang: 3000
Motor mods: 2000
Gas and maitance:???300-400$ atleast every 6 months
Insurance: 500$ every 6
Current car payment: ???
Current car insurance:???

Yeah, completely logical.

Nearly 6 grand in the first couple months to get your Mustang, I am sure for 6K someone could retro fit a second gen 3500$ turbo kit onto a MK3. And not have a piece of shit old foxbody.

I went from a turbo-charged Lancer to a 94 GT thinking it would be a great way to save money and have a faster car. I sold the Mustang within 2 months.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:13 PM   #59
sterlingfocus
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickWilly View Post
Fox body Mustang: 3000
Motor mods: 2000
Gas and maitance:???300-400$ atleast every 6 months
Insurance: 500$ every 6
Current car payment: ???
Current car insurance:???

Yeah, completely logical.

Nearly 6 grand in the first couple months to get your Mustang, I am sure for 6K someone could retro fit a second gen 3500$ turbo kit onto a MK3. And not have a piece of shit old foxbody.

I went from a turbo-charged Lancer to a 94 GT thinking it would be a great way to save money and have a faster car. I sold the Mustang within 2 months.
1 way insurance is what? 200 a year? I pay 650 a year 2 claims for my Focus.(I'm 30 y/o)
Mods: what does a fox need to be as fast as an ST. 3K can get a decent car. Do you know how much a motor rebuild cost for the Focus? I'd rather keep my warranty thank you. Yes you can retrofit a turbo on a DD but it defeats the purpose..then you have to deal with boost leaks this and what not.

What's illogical is that you get some kids having a car note and blowing their engines and crying that the warranty have been voided and have the car sit there for a year while they keep on making payments.

Last edited by sterlingfocus; 03-09-2014 at 09:47 PM.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:41 PM   #60
SlickWilly
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 116476
What I Drive: 2009 Ford Focus SES Sangria Red

FF Reputation: 5 SlickWilly Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Insurance on a fox is not 200 a year even on a basic plan, I was paying over 400 every 6 for basic coverage living in a town with a population of 3,000 cheapest damn insurance ever. Even under my Dads name it was still 240$ every 6 and hes 65 and never had a ticket or an accident. A stock fox would keep up with an ST but it is also a 20+ year old car, a 3000$ fox would be a POS. Random electrical not working, leaks, gas hog, ect.

I am not arguing with you that a turbo is more reliable, in fact if you look a few post back I was the one stating that turbo-charged cars are not reliable, literally due to the fact of boost leaks and random small parts breaking. and constant little tune updates.

Although I would rather drive a newer (my 03 Lancer)turbo'd car than ever drive my Mustang. I also owned a Camaro Z28 another car you can pick up for 3-4K that would rape a Foxbody but that's whole another set of worries. Optisparks, spark plugs, transmissions, differentials, ect. Fact is a 25 year old 3000$ car that is a pony car is not going to be reliable.

Bookmarks & Social Networks