200 whp? - Page 5 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > Drag Racing

Drag Racing The place to discuss information about drag racing stats, tips and events. Track sanctioned events only.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-07-2014, 04:12 PM   #41
Jburks
Focus Addict

Fan#: 145009
What I Drive: 2014 Ford Focus Hatchback SE RR DCT

FF Reputation: 1 Jburks Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost216 View Post
I'd say leave the nitrous for the mud boggers. It's not something I'd want on a DD.
That was my thought. It's my DD so i think i'm just gonig to stick with bolton's and a tune.
Build thread-http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=382642
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2014, 07:48 PM   #42
BecauseRacecar
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 144817
What I Drive: 2013 MK3 Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 BecauseRacecar Good Standing Member
To you two arguing about forced induction being safe or not, it's perfectly safe in cars that are designed or built to run forced induction.
Forced induction is NOT safe or reliable in cars that were neither designed nor built to run it.
Before anyone says you could reliably run 2-3lbs in a stock NA engine, yes you could, but you'd also be adding weight and complexity to your car for no noticeable power increase, which would just be silly.
Old 03-08-2014, 10:12 PM   #43
SlickWilly
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 116476
What I Drive: 2009 Ford Focus SES Sangria Red

FF Reputation: 5 SlickWilly Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
2-3lbs would provide more power than all bolt-ons combined. Nitrous is perfectly safe and reliable on a stock engine. I'm sure a 2008-2011 could handle a 100 shot if really needed. 100 shot would be nearly equivalent to 10-12lbs of boost. While never worrying about fuel starvation.

I don't think we were arguing rather expressing our opinion. I don't think anyless of anyone in this thread and nor was I defending myself from an attack just expressing my opinion.

I've ran nitrous on a few motors and never blew a motor or even ran lean.
Old 03-08-2014, 10:35 PM   #44
BecauseRacecar
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 144817
What I Drive: 2013 MK3 Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 BecauseRacecar Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickWilly View Post
2-3lbs would provide more power than all bolt-ons combined. Nitrous is perfectly safe and reliable on a stock engine. I'm sure a 2008-2011 could handle a 100 shot if really needed. 100 shot would be nearly equivalent to 10-12lbs of boost. While never worrying about fuel starvation.

I don't think we were arguing rather expressing our opinion. I don't think anyless of anyone in this thread and nor was I defending myself from an attack just expressing my opinion.
I didn't mean to say "arguing" in the sense that anyone was doing anything wrong, discussing probably would've been a better word. I know nobody is attacking anyone here.
2-3lbs would provide more power than our simple exhausts and intakes, but that insignificant amount of boost would hardly be noticeable and for the extra weight of all the turbo components, probably wouldn't be worth it. Especially for that whole warranty voiding thing.

As for a 100 shot, MAYBE the 08-11 would take it, but those have a lower compression ratio. 10:1 as opposed to 12:1. Doesn't sound like a lot but that's a 20% increase in compression.
A guy in another thread was talking about the nitrous kit he just put on his ZX3. He got it from some fool who blew up his MK3 trying to run a 100 shot. So there's at least one documented case of that blowing a motor.
Old 03-08-2014, 11:48 PM   #45
SlickWilly
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 116476
What I Drive: 2009 Ford Focus SES Sangria Red

FF Reputation: 5 SlickWilly Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
That "documented" case was a guy from Orlando, I bought his Ingen Intake who Oosooneshot has now. His motor didn't blow spraying, it blew on the interstate passing a car, he just happened to spray before. Saying the 100 shot blew his motor would be a weak argument (discussion) rather that it MIGHT of led up to it, but I doubt it. I met him personally and what an awesome guy. If you don't believe me have oosoonrshot take a picture of his intake there's a nozzel spot on the bottom that had a rubber grommet sealing it.

Unless there had been two blown MK3s but those new motors do pop more often than the 140hp motors.
Old 03-09-2014, 03:02 AM   #46
bluehatch14
Focus Addict

Fan#: 111245
What I Drive: 2012 blue se hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 bluehatch14 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickWilly View Post

I've ran nitrous on a few motors and never blew a motor or even ran lean.
Agreed. It was just more of a good debate and discussion. No harm done. Like I said before nitrous can be reliable if you do it right and same with FI. As for the whole low boost on stock internals thing you are right. The cost vs power gains wouldn't probably be worth it. Still possible though. I personally am already past warranty so I'm not worried about that one. I would love to one day have a custom turbo kit built for my foci as well as build my motor.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:49 AM   #47
iEklectic
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 145930
What I Drive: Oxford White

FF Reputation: 0 iEklectic Newbie
^same here
Old 03-09-2014, 05:46 PM   #48
sterlingfocus
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 115490
What I Drive: 2013 Focus se

FF Reputation: 1 sterlingfocus Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eminaga View Post
190whp is way more then 210 crank hp and would walk a civic si or a gti.
The GTI dynos about 200 whp in stock form. No way that a Focus without F/I will ever walk a GTI. The reason why I bought a loaded SE is that the ST was slower then a stock GTI and the shifter was located in an akward position. I doubt that any N/A Focus will ever walk an ST. Unless if it's stripped and run on drag radials yadayada.

I love my Focus and being honest on the power departement I wouldn't do much but I would focus on the Focus main strength which is it's handling which is IMO better then the GTI and a lot of other competitors. Beefier tires, stiffer suspension ,sway bars, bushings . I would love to make my Focus faster but power/noise ratio/results is not Worth it IMO. To each is own
Old 03-09-2014, 06:00 PM   #49
4mikebruns
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 119661
What I Drive: 2014 SGM DCT Focus SE (sedan)

FF Reputation: 2 4mikebruns Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eminaga View Post
190whp is way more then 210 crank hp and would walk a civic si or a gti.
I dont think so buddy. At least not the GTI. I had a Mk6 GTI and they make almost max torque just under 2200rpm and hold that torque for a bit so they are pretty fast off the line.
Old 03-09-2014, 06:07 PM   #50
sterlingfocus
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 115490
What I Drive: 2013 Focus se

FF Reputation: 1 sterlingfocus Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mikebruns View Post
I dont think so buddy. At least not the GTI. I had a Mk6 GTI and they make almost max torque just under 2200rpm and hold that torque for a bit so they are pretty fast off the line.
Yep I always see people comparing GTI's against modded Focus or Fiesta ST. The GTI is not the fastest thing out there but it blows any Focus out of the water ST included. The 197 Fiesta ST is no match for an MK5 GTI nor an MK6. Being honest I'd be happy to see my car hang with Mazda 3's 2.5, BRZ, Veloster , Cruze Turbo

Bookmarks & Social Networks