Did Your Focus MK3 Make you a Car Nut - Page 4 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-19-2014, 06:32 PM   #31
schrodingersbox
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 117379
What I Drive: 2013 Sonic Blue SE Sedan 6SPD DCT

Points 403, Level 8
Points: 403, Level: 8 Points: 403, Level: 8 Points: 403, Level: 8
Level Up 6% Completed
Level up: 6% Level up: 6% Level up: 6%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 2 schrodingersbox Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I love you guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2014, 12:00 PM   #32
fishin-nole
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99925
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Metallic

FF Reputation: 1 fishin-nole Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmumolo View Post
I'm 73; sorry to mess with your preconceived idea about what creates a car nut. All it requires is an appreciation of a special car and cars in general. The car that made me a car nut was a 1968 Fiat 124 sport coupe; hardly a Cobra Mustang. I came to my Mk3 already a car nut but I will say it has all the attributes necessary to create a car nut.
Old timers kicked in I see. I'm 58 and been around too. I don't even remember all the vehicles I've had. This car will make you a car nut as much as the Pinto's would. If it's an ST I can see it.
1.71 60ft.
12.68@106

Last edited by dyn085; 03-21-2014 at 08:44 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2014, 12:53 PM   #33
JimsterG
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95184
What I Drive: 2012 5 dr SEL in Race Red

Points 131, Level 2
Points: 131, Level: 2 Points: 131, Level: 2 Points: 131, Level: 2
Level Up 62% Completed
Level up: 62% Level up: 62% Level up: 62%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 JimsterG Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by goingtoscotland View Post
I wouldn't say I'm a "car nut." I'm extremely knowledgeable and love cars, but they're in no way, shape, or form, a motorcycle.
You are correct. The Focus is better than the bikes I've owned, Ninjas, a Gold Wing and my personal favorite the 750 honda nighthawk. All great bikes and all of them got worse gas mileage than the Focus. With the torque vectoring I can do some nice high speed sweeping turns on less travelled roads and not worry about gravel in the road. But I do give it more of a bike feel by opening up the moonroof all the way
Old 03-20-2014, 01:11 PM   #34
papaacer
Sonic's MK3 Crew #25

Fan#: 111083
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SE

Points 6,239, Level 51
Points: 6,239, Level: 51 Points: 6,239, Level: 51 Points: 6,239, Level: 51
Level Up 45% Completed
Level up: 45% Level up: 45% Level up: 45%
Forum Activity 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
FF Reputation: 11 papaacer Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
I started getting into cars when i started my job at oreillys. Before that the only thing i cared about changing in a car was the sound system and wheels. But around that time, my honda got stolen and i got a focus and since then my automotive knowledge has gone up because it the focus really got me interested in the auto industry. Im now working a desk job but my love for cars keeps going. I do detailing on the side which gets me asking owners about their cars/trucks. So i guess the answer is yes. My focus really did make me a car nut.
That's because if a sedan was used there would be too much awesomeness and the internet would explode.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:08 PM   #35
goingtoscotland
Focus Addict

Fan#: 132001
What I Drive: '14 Tuxedo Black HB, 05 Kawi ZX-10R

Points 1,954, Level 26
Points: 1,954, Level: 26 Points: 1,954, Level: 26 Points: 1,954, Level: 26
Level Up 54% Completed
Level up: 54% Level up: 54% Level up: 54%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 6 goingtoscotland Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsterG View Post
You are correct. The Focus is better than the bikes I've owned, Ninjas, a Gold Wing and my personal favorite the 750 honda nighthawk. All great bikes and all of them got worse gas mileage than the Focus. With the torque vectoring I can do some nice high speed sweeping turns on less travelled roads and not worry about gravel in the road. But I do give it more of a bike feel by opening up the moonroof all the way
Wait, you ride for the fuel economy? Seriously? If the Focus is better than any bike you have ever owned, you must have had some terrible bikes. I could care less about fuel economy on a bike. I think i get 12mpg out of my ZX-10R at the track.

Hatch Nation #46
Old 03-20-2014, 07:57 PM   #36
JimsterG
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95184
What I Drive: 2012 5 dr SEL in Race Red

Points 131, Level 2
Points: 131, Level: 2 Points: 131, Level: 2 Points: 131, Level: 2
Level Up 62% Completed
Level up: 62% Level up: 62% Level up: 62%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 JimsterG Good Standing Member
They were mainly Hondas and other Asian brands. I may have been more impressed if I had ever owned a Harley. And yes when I was in college fuel economy was everything. I needed to spend money on food not gas. bikes are getting dated anyways. Few of them have ABS and most still use the archaic foot pedal for the rear and hand lever for the front brake, when the brake system should have been integrated years ago. They were slow to adopt fuel injection and have become too expensive for what you get anymore. How can I argue with a vehicle that gets excellent MPG's, safer in a crash, and has AC for hot days? That's just me though. To each his own. Ride safe.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:10 PM   #37
Rat Fink
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92487
What I Drive: Ford, and vintage Dodge

FF Reputation: 6 Rat Fink Good Standing Member
Since I spend 40 hrs/week working on cars, I wanted to buy a car as a DD that I wouldn't have to work on in my spare time. I bought my 2012 Focus with 5mt and no myford touch. It's been a good car so far, albeit very underpowered compared to what I'm used to. If I could go back in time I would've definitely bought something else. It's good in the way that it gets me comfortably from A to B, but it's a very boring ride. The bonus is I get paid to work on it (while it's still under warranty anyways).

I bought this car so I wouldn't have to be a "car guy" with it. Mission accomplished....although it's been a boring mission I regret.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:20 PM   #38
goingtoscotland
Focus Addict

Fan#: 132001
What I Drive: '14 Tuxedo Black HB, 05 Kawi ZX-10R

Points 1,954, Level 26
Points: 1,954, Level: 26 Points: 1,954, Level: 26 Points: 1,954, Level: 26
Level Up 54% Completed
Level up: 54% Level up: 54% Level up: 54%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 6 goingtoscotland Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsterG View Post
They were mainly Hondas and other Asian brands. I may have been more impressed if I had ever owned a Harley. And yes when I was in college fuel economy was everything. I needed to spend money on food not gas. bikes are getting dated anyways. Few of them have ABS and most still use the archaic foot pedal for the rear and hand lever for the front brake, when the brake system should have been integrated years ago. They were slow to adopt fuel injection and have become too expensive for what you get anymore. How can I argue with a vehicle that gets excellent MPG's, safer in a crash, and has AC for hot days? That's just me though. To each his own. Ride safe.
Integrated/linked braking systems are the devil, and have no business on a motorcycle. There are many situations where it's paramount you have independent control of both ends of the motorcycle, mostly in low traction/grip situations, and all sport riding instances. ABS is extremely commonplace today as an option, though I would never ever want it. If it comes standard on a sportbike that's the first thing I will remove.

Trust me you would be less impressed with Hardley Ableson, they've got nothing on their Japanese or euro competitors when it comes to cruisers. They handle poorly and brake poorly(though all cruisers do), and they're not nearly as reliable or well made, despite still using essentially unchanged 1940s engine technology(you would think they would have perfected single cam lolpushrods by now, but no)

Hatch Nation #46
Old 03-21-2014, 08:30 PM   #39
Elizabeth
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 89280
What I Drive: '14 Tangerine Scream ST3

Points 13,393, Level 75
Points: 13,393, Level: 75 Points: 13,393, Level: 75 Points: 13,393, Level: 75
Level Up 36% Completed
Level up: 36% Level up: 36% Level up: 36%
Forum Activity 34%
Activity: 34% Activity: 34% Activity: 34%
FF Reputation: 15 Elizabeth Great Standing Member
Did my 2012 Focus make me a car nut? NO. The car i had just before the Focus did.
I bought a 1999 Contour SVT and loved it. I kept it for 13 years, and spent a small fortune (rebuilt tranny plus Torsen differential) to keep it because I could not find ANY car i wanted more.
Until I found the 2012 Ford Focus.
With the Yellow paint, manual tranny.. I decided yes this is a car i can live with.
And so far, over two years in, i am still happy.

My Focus is nowhere as fast, but it gets way better mpg. and I am also way LESS likely to get speeding tickets. (my last with the SVT was for 37 over the limit.. )
Old 03-21-2014, 08:57 PM   #40
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

Points 24,351, Level 95
Points: 24,351, Level: 95 Points: 24,351, Level: 95 Points: 24,351, Level: 95
Level Up 1% Completed
Level up: 1% Level up: 1% Level up: 1%
Forum Activity 21%
Activity: 21% Activity: 21% Activity: 21%
FF Reputation: 49 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Speaking of the Pinto, that was my first car. I would really like to find one one day and go wild with it. I put mine through a fence.

My Focus definitely did not make me a car nut. I bought it as a fuel-efficient DD and use it as such. There are many things I like about it, but I've owned a lot of cars and many of them outperform the Focus in their own ways. While I've enjoyed building it, I constantly regret having gotten rid of my little Ranger for it.

Except for when it's hot. My Ranger didn't have AC. And when picking up kids. My Ranger was single cab. And for any length of highway driving as it didn't have cruise...

I digress. The Focus is great for the segment it is in. I sometimes wish I would have waited and bought a ST so that I would have a fast Focus and aftermarket support, but I'm definitely not disappointed in the Mk3 itself. It's economical and fun, but not excessively in either direction. It has suited me well and (post mods) gets a lot of attention.
2014 FiST-

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.