Might be picking up a Focus this weekend. - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > ZETEC Performance (2000-2004)

ZETEC Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-25-2005, 12:05 AM   #1
clevisBacon
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 19526
What I Drive: 2003 SV650S (for now)

FF Reputation: 1 clevisBacon Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Talking Might be picking up a Focus this weekend.

Hi guys, my names Paul, this is my first post. :D

If everything goes smoothly, I'll be picking up a Black 2000 Focus zx3 on Saturday :)
The reason I say 'if everything goes smoothly' is because I'm currently trying to get rid of my motorcycle for a car.

I have a few questions about the focus.... I dont plan on doing anything MAJOR as of yet, but, I am a little curious.

1) How much horsepower and tq is the stock transmission/axles good for? or could I just upgrade the clutch and be fine?

2) Whats the diff. between the SVT motor and the Zetec? what makes the svt put out so much more power? is it bigger intake,diff. heads, etc? if so - couldnt you just find someone that would be willing to sell you those parts and you could match SVT performance?

3) What do you guys guys reccomend supercharger/turbo wise? I've seen a variation of things on the web.... I've found a turbo kit that supposedly puts you at 224whp on the stock motor.... But, I've also seen people with other turbos and motor mods that only have like 180whp.

Thanks guys, sorry if these questions are nooooooby.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2005, 02:07 PM   #2
RobsRedRacer
Focus Addict

Fan#: 1515
What I Drive: 06 Dodge Ram, 02 TL1000R

FF Reputation: 1 RobsRedRacer Good Standing Member
first off ....
1) the transmission should hold up to..i think..200 hp and the axles i dont know
2) the SVT and Zetec are the same motor..the SVT just has different upgrades like headers, tb, intake, etc....you could easily match it by buying aftermarket stuff like an exhaust, intake, tb, udp, etc.
3) between supercharger and turbo its up to you which way to go..for a supercharger i'd recommend Vortech b/c they give out better performance than JR...for turbo's i'd recommend Tom at www.focus-power.com ....he is also a member and one of the FF founders..his s/n is Tom i believe...for the amount of hp and tq it gives it depends on how much psi you will run
Hope it helps..and hope you get your Focus
Zetec Crew #195

Last edited by RobsRedRacer; 02-25-2005 at 02:16 PM.
Old 02-25-2005, 05:16 PM   #3
SkaAddict
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1690
FF Reputation: 69 SkaAddict Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
The MTX-75 is rated to a little over 300 WHP, although that's just the transmission, you'd probably have to drop in a better clutch and maybe CVJ's/halfshafts to go that high (I'm just speculating at this point...)

The guy to ask would be Tom from Focus-Power (1turbofocus on here...Tom is the board admin), seeing as how he installs turbos on Foci for a living. He says that torque is the name of the game, torque is what gets you up to speed and does most of the work and you don't really feel HP until you're at high speed. A turbo gives you more torque than a supercharger, has less parasitic power loss and can be pushed further, especially on a four-cylinder. Tom's full Zetec kit can reach ~220 WHP on a stock engine if you're running on high-octane (110+) race gas, on pump (93) you'd see about 200 WHP/TQ. Of course, that's on a all-stock setup, add a full 2.5/3" exhaust, STG1/2 cams, cam gears and a 65mm TB and you'd have higher numbers. It would depend on how much money you'd be willing to throw at your car...

Last edited by SkaAddict; 02-25-2005 at 11:05 PM.
Old 02-25-2005, 10:47 PM   #4
cct86
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 19225
What I Drive: 04 silver zx3

FF Reputation: 1 cct86 Good Standing Member
go for it the focus is one of my favorite cars
Old 02-25-2005, 11:02 PM   #5
psychobiker02563
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 17288
What I Drive: 2001 Jackpot Gold Metallic Ford Focus 4dr

FF Reputation: 1 psychobiker02563 Good Standing Member
Yea Welcome Have Fun with the new focus and post some pics.
Disclaimer: All Ford employees, Ford dealerships and service personnel: This in no way constitutes an admission or acknowledgement of tampering, modification, or alteration of any vehicle in my possession in such a manner as to void, cancel, deny or otherwise refuse service on any service contracts, warrantees, or recall notices covering said vehicle. This and other posts submitted on this forum, under the screenname psychobiker02563 simply represent an attempt to gain acceptance from a peer group espousing cars of a high performance nature - including those that have been altered to improve or enhance the automobile's natural characteristics.
---------------------------------------------------
Old 02-25-2005, 11:10 PM   #6
fokuzx3
teh tranny killer

Fan#: 15685
What I Drive: r.i.p. liquid grey zx3....now 300zx

FF Reputation: 1 fokuzx3 Good Standing Member
zetec has more potential..no offense to the svt, and more options and the 2000 has the best intake manifold, should have fun with it
zetec crew #23
zetec R.I.P. best standing 1/4 time= 15.260 @88.08 mph (2.275 60)
Quote:
Originally Posted by warneej View Post
it takes a minute to get used to, kinda like shaving your balls.. haha
Old 02-25-2005, 11:43 PM   #7
Slo_Focus
AKA Fast_Focus

Fan#: 17238
What I Drive: 2007 LG ZX4, 2007 Yamaha Blue R6

FF Reputation: 14 Slo_Focus Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
sounds like someones gonna smoke a lot of hondas...
Old 02-26-2005, 12:51 AM   #8
clevisBacon
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 19526
What I Drive: 2003 SV650S (for now)

FF Reputation: 1 clevisBacon Good Standing Member
Well..... tomorrow is the big day.

I am kind of worried because I havent heard from the person that wants to buy my bike, but, hopefully it all works out :D

Also, the Focus I was looking at has been sold... :( - but, its ok, cause I found a better deal (hehe)

Question: This turbo says '225 at the wheels on 87 octane' - is this just rediculous over-statement? or is this true? anyone know? anyone tried this turbo?

http://focus.c-f-m.com/index.asp?Pag...ROD&ProdID=401

Thanks guys.
Old 02-27-2005, 10:55 AM   #9
00svtprototype
Focus Addict

Fan#: 17274
What I Drive: 00 blk zx3_AXT

FF Reputation: 1 00svtprototype Good Standing Member
just try not to get a 00-01 with alot of miles, those cars seem to have alot of recalls and some problems- also get the MXT learn from my mistake and dont get the automatic.
SVT: front bumper/grilles...headlights..door handles.. SVTF.wheels w/ Z rated rubber 2in. drop...smoked tails...EBC dimpled/slotted rotors w/ Hawk pads...20% tint...FR wires..FC UDP's...Steeda short ram ...OBX headers..Magnaflow stainless catback exaust...strut bar...blk ford badges, window guards

coming really soon: adding forced induction. havent decided which one yet but car has 112,000 miles on it so I'm trying to blow it up..lol

Bookmarks & Social Networks