PZEV - Why do people call their car by their emission classification ? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > DURATEC Performance (2003-2007)

DURATEC Performance (2003-2007) The place to chat about any Duratec 23, 23E, and 20 engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-24-2005, 04:48 PM   #1
microtonal
FF #1 Most Wanted

Fan#: 470
What I Drive: 2012 GTI, 2014 Forester XT

FF Reputation: 12 microtonal Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
PZEV - Why do people call their car by their emission classification ?

I don't get it...

I see this in peoples sigs and their engine specs...

PZEV is an emissions classification for a car/vehicle.

It is NOT an engine. The engine is a Duratec. Either 2.0L or 2.3L

Any engine can be made PZEV with the proper hardware/software.

I see people claiming their car is equipped with a PZEV engine...
I mean, ya, your engine is classified as a PZEV car but you don't see people with Zetec engines going around telling people they have a ULEV engine in their car do you...?...

I just wish people would get their terminology straight and call the engine by it's proper name...
DURATEC

Some facts to chew on....

A Clean-Air Car Primer

ZEVs are zero-emission vehicles, the cleanest you can find. The only ZEVs are electric vehicles, and some fuel cell vehicles (not available to consumers for several years). There are no new electric vehicle models available for sale to consumers at this point.

PZEVs are partial zero-emission vehicles, the closest you can get to zero without being a ZEV. They're cleaner than SULEVs since they also have a design that doesn't allow evaporative emissions from the gas tank. There are PZEV versions of several new gasoline car models on the market today. To see a list of these, visit the California Air Resources Board link in the list below. Automakers get partial ZEV credit for making and selling PZEVs.

SULEVs are super-ultra low-emission vehicles, extremely clean. There are both gas SULEVs and gas-electric hybrid SULEVs on the market today. The classifications of ZEV, PZEV, or SULEV only refer to the air emissions, by the way -- not the fuel efficiency. The EPA Green Vehicle Guide in the link below will allow you to look up vehicles and compare both emission and fuel efficiency characteristics.

ULEVs are ultra low-emission vehicles, somewhere between a SULEV and a LEV (low-emission vehicle). The current requirements for new model cars are so close to the LEV classification that many new car models are already LEVs.

TLEVs are transitional low-emission vehicles. In the past, this classification has been used to indicate that a vehicle has almost met the LEV standards. This classification is also sometimes used to show that a truck or sport utility vehicle, which would not be required to meet the same standards as a car, is close to the LEV standard for a car.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2005, 05:03 PM   #2
imFOCUStman
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 8325
What I Drive: '04 Pitch Blk ZX3 (sold), '07 MZ3

FF Reputation: 3 imFOCUStman Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
maybe we're just used to it?
Old 02-24-2005, 05:46 PM   #3
Lil PZEV
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 242
What I Drive: 2003 TwiBlue 2.3 ZX3

FF Reputation: 15 Lil PZEV Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
I dunno, when I signed up I had no idea what I was talking about, but I don't really feel like changing my handle now anyway.
And I guess, if you look at it this way, at least in a Focus community (us) if you have a PZEV, it's a Duratec. If you have a Duratec it could have been regulated as a PZEV or not. But saying PZEV automatically means nonZetec, highly emissions regulated. Saying Duratec you *could* have the new 2.0, or the nonPZEV'd ST...

Now of course my name makes little to no sense anymore since the 2.3E in my bay is missing most of it's "PZEV" equipment and will lose more soon enough, but I deal.

I like the Emissions Primer info, that's nicely organized
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2005, 05:57 PM   #4
jeremy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 2086
What I Drive: 2003 black ZX3 (2.3)

FF Reputation: 1 jeremy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
the term (as it applies to foci) came about when it was specific to certain states and not others. i think it would specifically refer to 2003-2004 duratecs... why was it not called a duratec? who knows...i was such a focus newby that i never even heard the term pzev before this forum. when i did hear about it i first guessed that i had been dealt a short hand when compared to a zetec...now i don't mind. but i then again, why is the zetec called a duratec in europe?
Old 02-24-2005, 05:59 PM   #5
FocusOnDeez
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 11663
What I Drive: 01 Ultra White zx3

FF Reputation: 1 FocusOnDeez Good Standing Member
it's a PZEV Duratec. it's obviously easier and less confusing to call it a PZEV. don't be a jerk.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:12 PM   #6
Mr_ZX3
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 8171
What I Drive: No Focus

FF Reputation: 1 Mr_ZX3 Good Standing Member
hey man, don't take things too seriously...i have a PZEV too!
Old 02-24-2005, 06:20 PM   #7
DaZeDFoCuS
Focus Addict

Fan#: 8854
What I Drive: 02 Black SVT

Points 1,527, Level 22
Points: 1,527, Level: 22 Points: 1,527, Level: 22 Points: 1,527, Level: 22
Level Up 27% Completed
Level up: 27% Level up: 27% Level up: 27%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 2 DaZeDFoCuS Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Re: PZEV - Why do people call their car by their emission classification ?

Quote:
Originally posted by microtonal
I don't get it...

I see this in peoples sigs and their engine specs...

PZEV is an emissions classification for a car/vehicle.

It is NOT an engine. The engine is a Duratec. Either 2.0L or 2.3L

Any engine can be made PZEV with the proper hardware/software.

I see people claiming their car is equipped with a PZEV engine...
I mean, ya, your engine is classified as a PZEV car but you don't see people with Zetec engines going around telling people they have a ULEV engine in their car do you...?...
DURATEC
Well I dont have a PZEV, but i sure love my ULEV!

-Brian

Remember these 3 words: cheap, reliable, fast.
You can have 2 of them, but the third will not apply.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:28 PM   #8
microtonal
FF #1 Most Wanted

Fan#: 470
What I Drive: 2012 GTI, 2014 Forester XT

FF Reputation: 12 microtonal Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
Quote:
Originally posted by FocusOnDeez
it's a PZEV Duratec. it's obviously easier and less confusing to call it a PZEV. don't be a jerk.
OK Dad...
How is it easier and less confusing to call it PZEV instead of Duratec ?

Please elaborate...

Hell, I could make my Zetec PZEV classified if I aquire the proper hardware...but I really wouldn't go out and do it but it can be done.

Anyway, hopefully, this post will give people more of a clue what PZEV means.

And Amanda, I forgot all about your sig name having PZEV.
I wasn't even remotely thinking of you when I wrote this thread but I guess it does relate to you...
Old 02-24-2005, 06:43 PM   #9
P0WeRbyDuratec
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 2109
What I Drive: 2012 WRX Limited

FF Reputation: 1 P0WeRbyDuratec Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
the thing is, when it came to the scene, there were only pzevs, there were no other duratecs, since no other car happened to have the duratec engine or pzev status, pzev just happened to be the way to designate the car moreso then duratec. Besides don't forget that in europe the zetec= duratec. Thats a little confusing.

Now i can argue that from a zetec standpoint, they could say they own a duratec even though its not. I don't want to be an ass but its for the sake of the argument.

imo, people can call it pzev or duratec, i know the difference, you know the difference. Since the intro of the duratec family in the 05 model year, i think that we have improved on not using the pzev term
Old 02-24-2005, 07:06 PM   #10
SVT4ME

Fan#: 61
FF Reputation: 4 SVT4ME Good Standing Member
This bothers you enough that you took the time to make a thread about it? And look up what the different emissions classifications mean?

Ford kept pushing the "PZEV" terminology around a lot, in their marketing and on that little sticker that went onto the window. So in some sense it was beaten into our brains before the car even hit the streets. Now, how about this - what's easier to say, PZEV or Duratec? If you really want to get nit-picky, PZEV is two syllables to sound out, and Duratec is three. It's faster and easier to say PZEV.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.