All Wheel Drive Focus - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > Road Racing & Rally

Road Racing & Rally The place to discuss information about road/rally racing stats, tips and events. Track sanctioned events only.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-22-2005, 02:39 AM   #1
Shinkson
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 17490
What I Drive: None yet

FF Reputation: 1 Shinkson Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Question All Wheel Drive Focus

Does any no where to get all the neccesarry component to turn a zx3 into an all wheel drive rally car?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2005, 10:42 AM   #2
elwood125
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 17784
What I Drive: Mk 3 Blue Candy SE Sport 5spd Hatch

FF Reputation: 4 elwood125 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
it may be possible using donor parts from an awd zetec escape. I am not even sure if the escapes are offered in this level or not but it would be a jumping off point anyways. Hope you got some $$ if you are serious, would be cool to see
Old 01-22-2005, 12:41 PM   #3
Fordesigner
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 16223
What I Drive: Fairly stock 2001 Focus ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Fordesigner Good Standing Member
Escape is not AWD. More like front biased 4 wd. I believe it's something like 60% front and 40 % rear but only when needed.

However if you have mad amounts of cash lying about. You might want to check into the Jag X-type awd. It uses a modified MTX75. You could use your case, swap internals and then you'd have the 6 speed with the take off for the rear drive. You'll still have problems using the Jag rear end, as it's wider than the Focus. Not to mention you'll need to fab up a new gas tank. But the Jag is biased to be 60% rwd / 40% fwd, true AWD.
Disclaimer: All Ford employees, Ford dealerships and service personnel: This in no way constitutes an admission or acknowledgement of tampering, modification, or alteration of any vehicle in my possession in such a manner as to void, cancel, deny or otherwise refuse service on any service contracts, warrantees, or recall notices covering said vehicle. This and other posts submitted on this forum, under the screenname Fordesigner simply represent an attempt to gain acceptance from a peer group espousing cars of a high performance nature - including those that have been altered to improve or enhance the automobile's natural characteristics.
Old 01-22-2005, 03:14 PM   #4
elwood125
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 17784
What I Drive: Mk 3 Blue Candy SE Sport 5spd Hatch

FF Reputation: 4 elwood125 Good Standing Member
Cool

Buy Colin McRae Rally 3 for PS2. Got an all wheel drive, turbo Focus for $35. See if you can beat that!
Old 01-22-2005, 04:28 PM   #5
Egz
Sückn' n Blown

Fan#: 442
What I Drive: 2003 2.3l ZX3

FF Reputation: 111 Egz Excellent Standing Member Egz Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Well, quaife used to make a AWD transmission.

Your best bet is to look at the X-Type transmission, and see if that can be used.

duratec.wikispaces.com - Duratec Wiki - Sign up and contribute!
Old 01-22-2005, 09:36 PM   #6
BlueZetec
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 12600
What I Drive: Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 BlueZetec Good Standing Member
Burton Power from UK has offered a MTX75 awd.
Old 01-25-2005, 08:13 AM   #7
coleslaststand
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 6500
What I Drive: black 2004SVTEuro; '02 spyder eclipse gt

FF Reputation: 1 coleslaststand Good Standing Member
I read somewhere that you can buy the parts to convert a zx3 into a WRC ralley car for about a 100 grand ... they listed all the parts you'll need ... wish I still had the link ... good luck ...
Mods = Hypnotic's SCT tune; Screaming Demon coil and wire package; Denso Iridium ITV24's; FR STS; VF rear mount; ported TB; Custom wing; VIS CF vented hood; Hypnotic's SRI; SCO 4 gauge grounding wires and ORP ...
Old 01-25-2005, 08:21 AM   #8
bwojdyla
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 3589
What I Drive: Red 2000 ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 bwojdyla Good Standing Member
That seems excessive. I could machine the parts by hand out of billet for a hundred grand. I bet you could do it for 20k if you're willing to used donor cars. Suspension fabrication is not that scarey either, I've done it, it's actually quite simple if you take your time and make good jigs first (and have all the requisite equipment).
Old 01-25-2005, 09:04 AM   #9
blackandgold
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 495
What I Drive: 2008 VW GTI 2006 Ford Explorer LTD

FF Reputation: 1 blackandgold Good Standing Member
It would be very unique if you did it but I don't think the cost will justify the reason too well. I see Ford is starting to offer more and more AWD cars and SUV's lately so maybe they will finally get smart and figure on making an economy super car like most other manufacturers. The success of the EVO, STi, and SRT-4 should change Fords mind on the Focus. Hell I still wish Ford would get with the times and offer an AWD Mustang for us up here in the North.
^ what the hell is that supposed to mean, you quote me and then put down some american eagle sh**
Old 01-25-2005, 09:53 AM   #10
Fordesigner
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 16223
What I Drive: Fairly stock 2001 Focus ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Fordesigner Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by blackandgold
It would be very unique if you did it but I don't think the cost will justify the reason too well. I see Ford is starting to offer more and more AWD cars and SUV's lately so maybe they will finally get smart and figure on making an economy super car like most other manufacturers. The success of the EVO, STi, and SRT-4 should change Fords mind on the Focus. Hell I still wish Ford would get with the times and offer an AWD Mustang for us up here in the North.
AWD Mustang... Not going to happen.

Finally getting smart and offering AWD cars..... Thanks, but rather than some management getting smart, I would tend to believe it has more to do with platform sharing with Volvo. But the thought is appreciated.
Disclaimer: All Ford employees, Ford dealerships and service personnel: This in no way constitutes an admission or acknowledgement of tampering, modification, or alteration of any vehicle in my possession in such a manner as to void, cancel, deny or otherwise refuse service on any service contracts, warrantees, or recall notices covering said vehicle. This and other posts submitted on this forum, under the screenname Fordesigner simply represent an attempt to gain acceptance from a peer group espousing cars of a high performance nature - including those that have been altered to improve or enhance the automobile's natural characteristics.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->