Well, That Sucks - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat > Video Showroom

Video Showroom Post videos of your ride, or other car vids you just love.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-21-2005, 07:08 PM   #1
blck01zx3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 7784
What I Drive: 02 Black SVT; 03 Black Evo 8

FF Reputation: 1 blck01zx3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Well, That Sucks

http://www.xtremerecall.com/Vid_Pop_Ups/supercar.htm
This is a old one but if you have not seen it hold on.As the Story goes.Hey do you mind if I take you car down the track,no problem buddy.Great if I break anything I'll replace it/fix it for you ok sounds good.Be carefull it's a little faster then you car (in the ten's).Now the guy driving has a lot of track time so I,ve read.Well they still are best friends and he did go out and buy a new car for him.Full story over on camaros .net search for (I never want to be this guy)...

(Owners story)

It was a 1967 with a 10” tire and brand new 700hp SBC. With the old motor the car had been a best of 9.80 at 134 on the nitrous. With the new motor we were looking to get a 9.X on motor and hopefully 8.90 on the bottle. That was the first day at the track with the new motor and the first day in that car for the driver. In exchange for some help I was going to let him run the car at a race, this day (yes at Sac Raceway in ’01) we were trying to get him some seat time for that race. I took the first pass in the car and ran 136MPH. In our excitement at the MPH we wanted to rush him through his pass so that I could get back in the car and turn on the bottle. In that rush, we didn’t stop to think of several factors. It was his first time in the car, he was used to the rack in his 5.0 as opposed to the steering box in my car and his car, on the bottle, was more than a full second slower than the camaro on motor. Needless to say, we put him behind the wheel of too much car before he was ready and in the video you can see the results. As of this day, the driver has repaid me in full for the car and was able to salvage most of the motor. The motor from that car is now in his Mustang that fired up for the first time last weekend.

Updates on that car are here: http://www.californiafords.com/ubb/...t=019008#000000

(Drivers story)

Hello All,
My name is Greg, and yes, I am...err...was the driver of that Camaro back in February, 2002. We are just about the third 'anniversary' since that day.
Heres the story, directly from the driver:
I had a 91 Mustang that had gone 12.0 @ 111mph with a 1.58 sixty foot on the motor and a 10.80 @ 123mph with a 1.46-1.48 sixty foot on the jug. I had literally 50 passes between 10.8 and 10.9. The car could have easily been bracket raced. DJ, at that time, was only running 10.9 and 11.0 on motor in his car. He had hit the jug down at Palmdale and reached his fastest pass, 9.87. On that jug pass, a piston was hurt. He ended up rebuilding the motor, having a little bit of port work done on the heads, and changed cams. It was our first time at the track with the rebuilt motor. I wasn't familiar with the car, very true. However, considering, on motor, the Camaro was even with what mine did on the jug, I didn't even think twice about getting behind the wheel.

I asked that he take his own car down the track first as we did do some front suspension modifications and since he knew the car, I wanted him to give the go ahead that it felt good and all was well. He did that and ended up running a 10.45 @ 134 or 136. We were literally in shock. The car just went a half a second faster than its fastest pass ever on motor with absolutely no suspension tuning and no carberator adjustments. We were on cloud nine. It was at that time that I strapped in and was ready to make a pass.

No, there were no problems with the track. No, there were no problems with the car. The axle did not break. The problem that day...was ME!!! I was inexperienced. I had not driven this car ever. I made the wrong decision to go balls out the first pass ever!!! Yes, as everyone says 'I should have lifted'. However, hindsight is 20/20.

I had been out of shape like that in my own cars and corrected easily. As DJ said, I had seen him get out of shape much worse than what I experienced in the firts 300 feet. I cannot tell you why I didn't lift until 2 inches before the wall. I can't tell you why I didn't lift when I crossed the center line. The way I think I have tricked my mind into remember this crash is: 'My mind told my foot to lift, but my foot took its dear sweet time listening'. Again, complete driver error. However, I don't regret anything for one reason...I am here today!

Before even borrowing the car, I had told DJ that if anything happened to the car, I would accept full responsibility. That was one of the factors into him letting me borrow the car. Crashing never crossed my mind. I was merely worried about blowing the motor when we hit it with nitrous.

As he said, I cam home and bought him a rolling 67 RS Camaro that was already caged. We literally went up, heard the car run, and the owner pulled out the motor and tranny and handed us the car. He even left in the MSD Digi/Prgm ignition setup as well as the secondary fuel system for the nitrous. We took the motor to the man who just finished rebuilding it to do it again. Unfortunately, that person took so long to start working on the motor, that I pulled it out of his shop. It was at this time that DJ sold his rolling chassis. The motor setup was not completed until after DJ sold his car. Therefore, I bought the motor from him and put it into my racecar after having S&S Automotive rebuild it for me. Everything for the motor was salvageable except for the block, carberator, valve covers, and oil pan.

DJ has been my best friend, my best motivator, and my partner in building my Mustang. He used to be one of the laziest people I knew...and when it came to my mustang, he was there every time I asked. He was also offering to come over at times when I was irritated at setbacks in putting this car together. Lets just say, my car wont be ran at the track unless he is there...it just wouldn't be the same. He is a part of the car, so would you go run the car if you didn't have all the parts?

SVT squad #58
1221 of 4788

420whp SVT focus
383whp Evo VIII
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2005, 08:38 PM   #2
blck01zx3
Focus Addict

I bet that mustang is pretty quick now. But that just sucks.
SVT squad #58
1221 of 4788

420whp SVT focus
383whp Evo VIII
Old 02-22-2005, 02:49 PM   #3
osiris_vdc
Focus Addict

Fan#: 10486
What I Drive: 2003 Silver ZX5 ATX Disco Potato

FF Reputation: 5 osiris_vdc Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Spectacular video footage and great background story. Fantastic post.
Old 02-22-2005, 03:12 PM   #4
hotfocus
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 12
What I Drive: OLD: '00 Black ZX3, New: Pontiac G6

FF Reputation: 1 hotfocus Good Standing Member
Great read.
Old 02-22-2005, 06:32 PM   #5
blck01zx3
Focus Addict

Why thank you. I thought it was a very interesting story. I found this story on LS1GTO.com.
SVT squad #58
1221 of 4788

420whp SVT focus
383whp Evo VIII
Old 02-22-2005, 06:44 PM   #6
spikNspan DAN
Focus Addict

Fan#: 5226
What I Drive: 02' Liquid Grey ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 spikNspan DAN Good Standing Member
That was a great story, I'll be at that track tomorrow night so hopefully I won't do the same as him, although my car runs about 5 and a half seconds slower than him so I don't think I'll have a problem.
Old 02-23-2005, 01:51 PM   #7
tunedfocuzx3
That Iowa Guy

Fan#: 11992
What I Drive: 02 Sonic Blue Mustang GT

Points 8,033, Level 60
Points: 8,033, Level: 60 Points: 8,033, Level: 60 Points: 8,033, Level: 60
Level Up 42% Completed
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 13 tunedfocuzx3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
that does suck! wow at least the guy is ok after it all
2002 Focus SVT #3533 - JRSC w/BBK

"Zombie kill of the week?"

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.