2014 ST Upgrades that wont void factory - Page 6 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus ST > Focus ST EcoBoost Performance (2013-Current)

Focus ST EcoBoost Performance (2013-Current) The place to chat about the 2.0L EcoBoost engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-26-2014, 11:01 PM   #51
wesleykeithzimmer
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114019
What I Drive: 2014 Ford Focus ST Tangerine

Points 1,620, Level 23
Points: 1,620, Level: 23 Points: 1,620, Level: 23 Points: 1,620, Level: 23
Level Up 20% Completed
Level up: 20% Level up: 20% Level up: 20%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 wesleykeithzimmer Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
I normally use it for 0-60 a lot everyday to pull in front of Cars

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using FF Mobile
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2014, 11:31 PM   #52
HopnDude
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 144409
What I Drive: 2013 Tuxedo Black Focus ST

Points 50, Level 1
Points: 50, Level: 1 Points: 50, Level: 1 Points: 50, Level: 1
Level Up 50% Completed
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 1 HopnDude Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
#8 is a TMAP not a MAF.

http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-s...have-both.html

Same user name, on FocusST (dot) org site as well. CobaltSS (dot) net / S10Forum (dot) com / AMD (dot) com / the list goes on. I'm not a BS'er.

TMAP is a cheap way of doing MAF, and just as efficient for boosted applications.

I've got a boosted S10 on a horrible tune only hitting 5 degrees of timing on 15#'s with a 66mm T4 turbo hitting 325whp/wtq on a Mustang dyno and the tuner who did that much didn't know what he was doing. With a good tune, we're expecting closer to > 450whp & > 550wtq. I'm only using a 3 Bar MAP and a pre TB IAT. Same way the GN's and SyTy's were setup as well many other cars that use Speed Density. Don't believe me, take a look yourself http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f11/my...4-dime-504458/ . Just be cautious what information you're giving out, I wouldn't want to give someone info an watch them fck their sh!t up. I'd feel like a royal @ss.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2014, 11:33 PM   #53
wesleykeithzimmer
Focus Enthusiast

Points 1,620, Level 23
Level Up 20% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Thanks. Better no touch my car then :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using FF Mobile
Old 02-26-2014, 11:41 PM   #54
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

Points 9,738, Level 66
Points: 9,738, Level: 66 Points: 9,738, Level: 66 Points: 9,738, Level: 66
Level Up 22% Completed
Level up: 22% Level up: 22% Level up: 22%
Forum Activity 28%
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%
FF Reputation: 24 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopnDude View Post
#8 is a TMAP not a MAF.

http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-s...have-both.html

Same user name, on FocusST (dot) org site as well. CobaltSS (dot) net / S10Forum (dot) com / AMD (dot) com / the list goes on. I'm not a BS'er.

TMAP is a cheap way of doing MAF, and just as efficient for boosted applications.

I've got a boosted S10 on a horrible tune only hitting 5 degrees of timing on 15#'s with a 66mm T4 turbo hitting 325whp/wtq on a Mustang dyno and the tuner who did that much didn't know what he was doing. With a good tune, we're expecting closer to > 450whp & > 550wtq. I'm only using a 3 Bar MAP and a pre TB IAT. Same way the GN's and SyTy's were setup as well many other cars that use Speed Density. Don't believe me, take a look yourself http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f11/my...4-dime-504458/ . Just be cautious what information you're giving out, I wouldn't want to give someone info an watch them fck their sh!t up. I'd feel like a royal @ss.

The T-MAP sensor is called a MAF by ford as this is the job it's assigned to do at the air box. I.e. it is functionally equivalent as far as Ford is concerned in this application based on the speed/vs. density tables v.s. the voltage to mass air flow reading.

I know it's not actually a MAF sensor and have pointed this out before on this and other Forums, but from temperature and pressure using the look up tables and the ideal gas law the mass flow rate of air can be determined.

This I concur, the base Focus is a MAF driven car with just the single sensor at the exit of the air box.

I also don't see what false information I am supposedly spreading that would blow someone's car up either. If anything I was taking the conservative approach and explaining things as clearly as possible. If the o.p. isn't aware of how their car works stock the best advice would be to tighten the nut behind the wheel first before sinking money into aftermarket performance parts.

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

https://accessecu.com/support/docs/t...scriptions.pdf
Old 02-27-2014, 11:24 PM   #55
Twenty
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #17

Fan#: 90312
What I Drive: 2012 YB SE sedan w/ ST exterior

Points 21,407, Level 92
Points: 21,407, Level: 92 Points: 21,407, Level: 92 Points: 21,407, Level: 92
Level Up 6% Completed
Level up: 6% Level up: 6% Level up: 6%
Forum Activity 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
FF Reputation: 9 Twenty Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw5.0 View Post
This is not true, any aftermarket part or modification of any part can or will void the engine(entire drivetrain possible) warranty.
Can it? Yes. Will it definitely? No.

It actually has to be proven that the part in question was the cause of the issue if something arises. Just like my engine warranty can't be voided because of my front lip, it can't be voided because of my intake if it wasn't the cause.
SR #74/SMk3C #17/YBOC #03
Bill M.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:02 PM   #56
Outlaw5.0
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84300
What I Drive: 2011 Ford Focus SES

Points 437, Level 8
Points: 437, Level: 8 Points: 437, Level: 8 Points: 437, Level: 8
Level Up 74% Completed
Level up: 74% Level up: 74% Level up: 74%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 Outlaw5.0 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty View Post
Can it? Yes. Will it definitely? No.

It actually has to be proven that the part in question was the cause of the issue if something arises. Just like my engine warranty can't be voided because of my front lip, it can't be voided because of my intake if it wasn't the cause.
Actually I did have a warranty voided years ago because of a AFE intake on a 7.3 diesel. Luckily it was after the injectors and IDM were warrantied. The sad truth is they will do as they please.
Old 03-08-2014, 05:11 PM   #57
SlowFoci
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 57945
What I Drive: 2014 Ford Focus ST

FF Reputation: 1 SlowFoci Good Standing Member
Master certified Ford tech here, as far as your warranty goes, it is a process if you have a major mechanical failure. I did not read every post in this thread but I am amazed no one has mentioned freeze frame data. Most driveability type codes (P codes) will save freeze frame data along with the actual code. The freeze frame data alone tells a mountain of information about what was going on with the vehicle when it had a malfunction.

I know what your thinking, Ill just clear the code then bring the vehicle in for service. That does not always work.

At the end of the day, if the vehicle is modified we will almost always figure it out. You have to remember, as technicians were are always investigating the cause of a failure. We see clues most people wouldn't even consider.

So be careful. The new ST engine is highly tuned and I am suspicious of any aftermarket tune. With direct injection, dual variable valve timing, electronic throttle, etc. tuning these new engines is significantly harder than people realize. I fear most aftermarket tunes are using crude methods to obtain more horsepower. Twenty horsepower (or whatever gain is claimed) will not be worth a premature mechanical failure

Also keep in mind, with custom tunes, the internal part number in the PCM usually changes and we can see that with Ford software.
Old 03-08-2014, 10:33 PM   #58
wesleykeithzimmer
Focus Enthusiast

Points 1,620, Level 23
Level Up 20% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Great Lesson thanks! I hope other people doing this stupid mods to their cars and changing it dont know what they are doing to the car.
Old 03-09-2014, 12:27 AM   #59
Twenty
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #17

Fan#: 90312
What I Drive: 2012 YB SE sedan w/ ST exterior

Points 21,407, Level 92
Points: 21,407, Level: 92 Points: 21,407, Level: 92 Points: 21,407, Level: 92
Level Up 6% Completed
Level up: 6% Level up: 6% Level up: 6%
Forum Activity 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
FF Reputation: 9 Twenty Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw5.0 View Post
Actually I did have a warranty voided years ago because of a AFE intake on a 7.3 diesel. Luckily it was after the injectors and IDM were warrantied. The sad truth is they will do as they please.
Actually, they are not allowed to do that. It was passed as a law some years back; look up the Magnuson-Moss Act. It states that to void a warranty, it has to definitively be proven that an aftermarket part caused the damage. Period.
SR #74/SMk3C #17/YBOC #03
Bill M.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:52 PM   #60
Outlaw5.0
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84300
What I Drive: 2011 Ford Focus SES

Points 437, Level 8
Points: 437, Level: 8 Points: 437, Level: 8 Points: 437, Level: 8
Level Up 74% Completed
Level up: 74% Level up: 74% Level up: 74%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 Outlaw5.0 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty View Post
Actually, they are not allowed to do that. It was passed as a law some years back; look up the Magnuson-Moss Act. It states that to void a warranty, it has to definitively be proven that an aftermarket part caused the damage. Period.
I was told that only applies to parts such as factory replacement filters, oil, basically just normal maintenance items. Aftermarket performance parts are not part of it and Ford does not have to prove the part did or did not cause the failure. Don't shoot messenger, this is straight from the dealership.............actually multiple dealers.

Three years ago I purchased my 2011 Focus SES from a local dealer, I was told the cat back exhaust and drop in K&N filter was the only accepted performance parts. Any sort of tune would void the warranty on the spot. They were ok with the Roush/Airaid intake, but warned me the Ford reps are not always receptive.

Basically you take your chances and roll the dice. I believe for all practical purposes the Magnuson-Moss Act is basically only use full as toilet paper.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.