Spare Car Key - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades

MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades The place to chat about performance gauges, shifter knobs, custom interior paint, car seats or any interior upgrades for the 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-01-2014, 03:26 PM   #11
b.pearson
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 130617
What I Drive: 2003 Infrared SVT ZX5

FF Reputation: 2 b.pearson Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
*facepalm*
2003 SVT ZX5- EAP rims, FSWerks Race cat-back exhaust, FSWerks SRI, Spectre cone filter & breather filter, FSWerks front splitter, SAP rear diffuser, upgraded throttle body (Size and brand unsure), HID headlights, more to come!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2014, 02:01 PM   #12
Tiberius1701
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 83230
What I Drive: 2008 Red Fusion

FF Reputation: 1 Tiberius1701 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by komoto123 View Post
I also forgot to mention i am not sure there are actual transponders in these keys because i have taken my keys out of the ignition while the car is running on cold mornings to let it warm up. So you could see cars driving down the road with no keys anywhere near them.
There are actual transponders in the keyheads. The PATS system is only required to start the vehicle. Once the car is started, it doesn't care if a key is onboard, hence you can remove the key (if your key release is broken, that is.) while the car remains running.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:54 PM   #13
sjfishon
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 79619
What I Drive: 01 black se wagon/14 white se sedan

Points 594, Level 11
Points: 594, Level: 11 Points: 594, Level: 11 Points: 594, Level: 11
Level Up 88% Completed
Level up: 88% Level up: 88% Level up: 88%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 7 sjfishon Good Standing Member
ive read all post , but no one has talked about the new keys that are side cut,, I just bought a new 2014, and cant get a door key made, they say it has to be laser cut,, I would like to get one made, can any one tell me how?????????
Old 04-15-2014, 07:16 PM   #14
komoto123
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 119636
What I Drive: 2004 Ford Focus lx (Sangria Red)

Points 504, Level 10
Points: 504, Level: 10 Points: 504, Level: 10 Points: 504, Level: 10
Level Up 8% Completed
Level up: 8% Level up: 8% Level up: 8%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 komoto123 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberius1701 View Post
There are actual transponders in the keyheads. The PATS system is only required to start the vehicle. Once the car is started, it doesn't care if a key is onboard, hence you can remove the key (if your key release is broken, that is.) while the car remains running.
I didn't know that. I'm going to test this out though just to make sure. I'll get a spare made without a transponder and try it. Hopefully wont mess it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjfishon View Post
ive read all post , but no one has talked about the new keys that are side cut,, I just bought a new 2014, and cant get a door key made, they say it has to be laser cut,, I would like to get one made, can any one tell me how?????????
Get into your car and drive to a ford dealership then ask them to make you one. lol
Old 04-15-2014, 08:53 PM   #15
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

Points 8,909, Level 63
Points: 8,909, Level: 63 Points: 8,909, Level: 63 Points: 8,909, Level: 63
Level Up 53% Completed
Level up: 53% Level up: 53% Level up: 53%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 69 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjfishon View Post
There are a lot of threads on the options in the MkIII section, including E-Bay options.

"Laser Cut" keys are becoming common, but at the price of the machines to do them not all locksmiths even have them yet. (special milling machine)

S.R. #275
Old 04-23-2014, 06:36 PM   #16
Wheeliegirl
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 158194
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus SE hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 Wheeliegirl Good Standing Member
Spare Key

Hi All. I just got my '13 Focus a couple of weeks ago. A search for how and where to find spare keys brought me here. I've ordered a key from a vendor in Taiwan from EBay as a previous poster had done.

I just wanted to clarify, that the key needs to be specially cut by a laser, or can any locksmith cut it? I would like to avoid going to the dealer because I know they will charge a lot more to do this than a locksmith would. And they can't do this at places like Lowe's or Home Depot? What is the average cost for getting the key cut?

I've read the instructions for programming the key. It sounds really difficult.

I always keep 3 car keys. I have a disability, and believe highly in redundancy in case of an emergency. I always have a house key and a car key tucked away in a pouch that is attached to my wheelchair. These only get used in case I lock myself out of my house, or car......etc. You never know when something will happen and you need those spare keys. I've needed them only on a couple of occasions in 20 years, and was glad I had the forethought to put them in the pouch. :-)
Old 04-24-2014, 07:44 AM   #17
komoto123
Focus Enthusiast

Points 504, Level 10
Level Up 8% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheeliegirl View Post
Hi All. I just got my '13 Focus a couple of weeks ago. A search for how and where to find spare keys brought me here. I've ordered a key from a vendor in Taiwan from EBay as a previous poster had done.

I just wanted to clarify, that the key needs to be specially cut by a laser, or can any locksmith cut it? I would like to avoid going to the dealer because I know they will charge a lot more to do this than a locksmith would. And they can't do this at places like Lowe's or Home Depot? What is the average cost for getting the key cut?

I've read the instructions for programming the key. It sounds really difficult.

I always keep 3 car keys. I have a disability, and believe highly in redundancy in case of an emergency. I always have a house key and a car key tucked away in a pouch that is attached to my wheelchair. These only get used in case I lock myself out of my house, or car......etc. You never know when something will happen and you need those spare keys. I've needed them only on a couple of occasions in 20 years, and was glad I had the forethought to put them in the pouch. :-)
I'm surprised getting a key from Taiwan doesn't have high shipping costs. As for Lowe's or hope depot, i would give your local one a call just to see. They may be upgrading their key cutting technologies to stay with the times i dont know. Also I usually zip tie a spare key underneath the car somewhere in case i lock myself out, and i have a few times.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:16 AM   #18
Miller88
Focus Addict

Fan#: 73790
What I Drive: 2011 Focus SE 5 Speed

Points 1,488, Level 21
Points: 1,488, Level: 21 Points: 1,488, Level: 21 Points: 1,488, Level: 21
Level Up 88% Completed
Level up: 88% Level up: 88% Level up: 88%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 5 Miller88 Good Standing Member
The key for the new Focus seems to be similar to what Honda has been using for a while. If they are able to cut Honda keys, I would imagine they can cut the Ford keys.

However, good luck getting them to touch a transponder key! Last time I had to get a key cut at Lowes for my Taurus (Uses the same PATS as my 2011 Focus), I got chased out and I thought they were going to call the police on me just for asking! They do *NOT* want to touch transponder keys!

Best bet would be call a local locksmith shop and see what they think. I have been considering getting a spare key for my Focus ... but have not just because it's nearly impossible to get one cut.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:16 AM   #19
Wheeliegirl
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 158194
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus SE hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 Wheeliegirl Good Standing Member
Thanks for your reply. The shipping was free. It looks like the key is a little less expensive now than it was the other day: http://www.ebay.com/itm/360472852196...witem=&vxp=mtr
Old 04-25-2014, 09:04 AM   #20
komoto123
Focus Enthusiast

Points 504, Level 10
Level Up 8% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Oouch.....$50 for a spare key just hurts me, even if shipping is free. I think i will keep my 10 year old focus for another 10 years at that price lol

the price for a spare for me with the transponder ----->

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-LINCOLN...f3cd0a&vxp=mtr

Bookmarks & Social Networks