Attention Saleen Owners: Gauge Information from SIMCO - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades

MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades The place to chat about performance gauges, shifter knobs, custom interior paint, car seats or any interior upgrades for the 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-24-2014, 04:34 AM   #1
RSVT170
FocusRush

Fan#: 28451
What I Drive: '13 ST2 & '05 ZXW

Points 15,021, Level 79
Points: 15,021, Level: 79 Points: 15,021, Level: 79 Points: 15,021, Level: 79
Level Up 35% Completed
Level up: 35% Level up: 35% Level up: 35%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 42 RSVT170 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
Attention Saleen Owners: Gauge Information from SIMCO

As some of you know, I have several sets of saleen gauges that I purchased years ago in KPH. The new owner of one of my previous foci said that his Saleen gauges were no longer lighting up. He came over and we pulled the cluster apart to see that some of the copper had peeled back with some of the clear adhesive backing. I called SIMCO and they said that it cannot be repaired and would need to be replaced.

I thought to myself, NO WORRIES! I have 8 more sets of gauge faces. I puled them out of storage and found that all 8 extra sets had peeled in the same spot rendering them...broken.

I spoke with SIMCO again and said that they were past their shelf life, and should have been stored in a vacuum sealed bag....

After speaking with them for about 20 mins, they said that it could be repaired but would need the following:

- Send in the ENTIRE gauge cluster and they would repair it in house.
- Would take up to 3 weeks
- Cost $259.00

WHOA! That's steep!

They would be replacing everything SIMCO including the wiring, ballast thing.. (forgot what it's called) and they gauge back (the part that lights up). I tried to explain to them that everything else works fine and I just need that little break in the copper repaired. They said new company policy is to repair everything in house and all at once.

So this means also, that if the transformer/ballast thing goes bad (which is the most common part to go bad), then you can no longer just buy that replacement part and repair it yourself, it now requires you to spend $259.00+ and be without gauges for 3 weeks.

Since I have so many sets that are now otherwise worthless, I'm going to attempt to remove the part that illuminates and just put the actual white gauge face directly on the clear plastic to see how even the lighting is. If it's really uneven, or a bad color, I'll try some leds and some white vinyl on the back to try and diffuse the light. I'll let you know how it goes.

HATCH NATION #139
2013 ST2 "P5"

2004 SVT EAP
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2014, 08:44 AM   #2
onlycodered
Focus Addict

Fan#: 149570
What I Drive: '09 Vista Blue SES coupe 5spd

Points 638, Level 12
Points: 638, Level: 12 Points: 638, Level: 12 Points: 638, Level: 12
Level Up 76% Completed
Level up: 76% Level up: 76% Level up: 76%
Forum Activity 23%
Activity: 23% Activity: 23% Activity: 23%
FF Reputation: 4 onlycodered Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Isn't it great? It's like you get punished for buying a special edition Focus. Hope everything goes well.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:38 AM   #3
Tom
FF Founder

Fan#: 2
What I Drive: 2005 Saleen ZX3 SES Turbo

Points 85,263, Level 100
Points: 85,263, Level: 100 Points: 85,263, Level: 100 Points: 85,263, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 60 Tom Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
I had the same issue on my gauges. They had to replace the inverter ballast, but it was under warranty so I was very lucky.
Old 06-25-2014, 05:53 PM   #4
Brn Out
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 92389
What I Drive: 2007 Black Zx3 Sap

Points 5, Level 1
Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1
Level Up 9% Completed
Level up: 9% Level up: 9% Level up: 9%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Brn Out Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Yup... ordered the mph gauges from a guy on ebay and it worked fine with a speed hut 7 setting el inverter... after installing them i guess the thin connector got bent by the bezel and developed a short. Ebay guy is sending me a new one free of charge for it being shipped incorrectly. I called Simco before and they were willing to take a look at the cluster for 100 bucks and then add parts on top of that. They refused to sell me the inverter and the twist in bulb harness. Honestly that makes me question their business ideas.

Is their any chance you could post a picture up of the short? I'm interested in seeing where yours cracked

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.